Ignoring gas checks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Ignoring gas checks

Post by Bill in Oregon »

My understanding is that a bullet designed for a gas check can be fired with perfect accuracy without same. Is that your experience as well, assuming velocities are kept moderate?
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ignoring gas checks

Post by JohndeFresno »

I was curious about this myself. Checking out various entries in several reputable forums - posted by folks who appear to have been there for quite a while - the answer has always been "depends upon the velocity" or "make sure your bullets are sized properly." But other than these provisos, no information indicates that there would be any problem using gas check cast bullets without the GC's.

That is, providing that you load them slower than you could with the gas check, of course.

I am admittedly speaking from online research; I have not yet tested this for myself.

On the other hand, you say "perfect accuracy." Since the base is not flush all the way to the case, if the bullet is not "perfectly" round at the base, I am wondering if that minute difference might not affect its initial upset somehow. That word "perfect" is pretty exclusive, especially if you are talking about minute of mosquito.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What John said +1 . I have tried it and will say accuracy was good enough but below that of the same bullet with a gas check.
PB bullets normally have a much wider base band while a GC bullet without the GC has a narrow base band and an unsupported "tail" that can funnel gases toward that thin base band. Much lower pressures will help prevent gasses from blowing by and causing leading.
Trying this yourself is the only way to know for sure if you can get by without the check in your load/gun. Have fun and let us know how it worked out.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

What they said. The bullet needs to fit the bore.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Also depends on how well the rear of the last band fills out and all the issues that may cause it not to; such as mold in question, alloy, temp and proper handling (or lack thereof). Anything the screws up the base of a bullet does nothing for accuracy as the gases at the muzzle will want to exit at the flaw first. Without the gas check, the rear of the last band becomes the effective base. Any flaw for any reason and accuracy will be poorer than with a gas check.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I would say the thickness of the last driving band would be the fly in ointment... but, that kinda flies in the face of logic. As any occlusion in the base will be the cause of both leading and accuracy. I do know from personal experience that velocity exceeding the alloy's ability to withstand such flame cutting is the deciding factor. I keep my stepped bottom bullets gas checked. And with my particular alloy I can then drive them as fast as jacketed bullets.

But, trying it out for yourself is your best test in YOUR rifle.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

I shoot .50 cal cast bullets from my .500 S&W Handi Rifle without checks.
Reason being that checks are an unwanted expense.
I punch 1/2" disks from polyethylene and put one under each bullet.
My case full load of 777 keeps the disk against the base of the bullet.

Jack
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The 115 gr .313 ranchdog bullet shoots just fine without gaschecks. I shoot it in the 327 FED and keep them sub sonic and work great for plinking.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've done enough experimentation with that issue through the years that I cannot pin it down to any one thing. There are many contradictions of my experiments that make no sense like......if leaving the check off and leaving the last band to do the performing then why do bevel based cast bullets or boat tailed jacketed bullets perform the same at any velocity...excluding velocity/alloy differences?

I do find that the condition of the crown of a rifle has a lot to do with whether a bullet with the check on or off....but that's not the fault of the bullet.

I find that gas check designed bullets without the check on will shoot better out of any rifle with velocities in the 800-1000 fps range than with the check on no matter the condition of the crown. Make sense????...no

There are no set of rules or rules of thumb concerning whether or not you use a gas check or no check on a gas check designed bullet.

I have loading manuals going back over a hundred years that say "this or that" concerning this issue on gas checks.

The only rule of thumb I can say that is definitive is you just have to do what I have been doing for over 40 years.....experiment.-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

If I am going to be shooting the bullet at 1200 to 1300 fps or slower I leave the check off.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I think experiment is the name of the game as Sixgun said.

I've read that gascheck loads should always be fired above 900 FPS to make sure the gascheck doesn't come off. I just take their work for it on that as I don't want any surprise bore obstruction.

I used to have a Lee mold for a 210 gr. SWC that shot fine at 1,000-1,100 FPS without the gascheck for my .41 mag. IIRC it had about 5 shallow lube grooves and a long bearing surface.
I also had a .357 mold that would throw a 121 gr. pointed bullet that wouldn't group in a washtub without the gascheck. I always thought the culprit on the 121 grain bullet was the short bearing surface. That was just an assumption on my part, I no way to prove it or not.

My rememberer don't work like it used to It's been about 45 years since I shot those.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I will be shooting the Lee 325-grain 476 from a Bisley Super Blackhawk in .480 Ruger at 900 -1000 fps. Frankly, if Ruger made a push-through sizer in this caliber, I'd buy it and put on gas checks, but they don't, so I will see how this bullet shoots unchecked and report.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Yep to the above comments, but I would add that bullet hardness along with fit (most important) contributes to good check-less shooting. As long as the bullet ahead of the gas check step seals the bore, I figger it's good to go...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Ive read several threads on castboolits forum, the conclusions seems similar. Most seemed to have decent results if velocity was kept reasonable. I was specifically looking for info on the Lyman 429215.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

But if you have a rough bore as I do in my 1873 Win SRC there's not enough chamber diameter there to fit a proper diameter bullet. GCs allow it to shoot good without leading or very little.

We talk about leading being caused by gas blow by - flame cutting... How is it that a TP wad when examined after being shot is only singed when we know paper burns a 451*F and lead melts at a much higher temp?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ben_Rumson wrote:But if you have a rough bore as I do in my 1873 Win SRC there's not enough chamber diameter there to fit a proper diameter bullet. GCs allow it to shoot good without leading or very little.

We talk about leading being caused by gas blow by - flame cutting... How is it that a TP wad when examined after being shot is only singed when we know paper burns a 451*F and lead melts at a much higher temp?
Perhaps it's the exposure time....I can rapidly run my hand thru a Bernzomatic flame with little to no heat felt....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:
Ben_Rumson wrote:But if you have a rough bore as I do in my 1873 Win SRC there's not enough chamber diameter there to fit a proper diameter bullet. GCs allow it to shoot good without leading or very little.

Perhaps it's the exposure time....I can rapidly run my hand thru a Bernzomatic flame with little to no heat felt....
Or a cloth patch in a RB muzzle loader with BP behind it is only discolored. We call it flame cutting, but... it is really not pressure being released around thru the soft alloy, destroying the lube and leaving lead deposits from the increased friction?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

240 XTP.JPG
Aye! Increased friction! The pic shows a bullet I shot that clocked between 1100 &1200 fps out of my 1873SRC.. A .429XTP Note the lead that soldered itself on the inside of the jacket where the rifling bears on it during its semi milisecond ride out the 20" tube.

Edit Kind of makes me wonder how much friction adds to barrels getting hot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sixgun wrote:...
I find that gas check designed bullets without the check on will shoot better out of any rifle with velocities in the 800-1000 fps range than with the check on no matter the condition of the crown. Make sense????...no...
Makes sense to me.

You are essentially creating a boat tail when you leave off the check.

Cast them oversize and hard enugh and they will pretend to be a JBT instead of a LSWC.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!