Picked up old Ruger Single Six.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Picked up old Ruger Single Six.

Post by JerryB »

Today I finally made it up to my gunsmiths place. We had done some trading and I was needing a .22 pistol. He started looking for an old three screw Single six for me, I watched the auctions and they just kept getting higher in price. He called the other day and said he had traded for one and thought it was in the trade value for me. It is a 1971 three screw Single Six with both cylinders and the mag shows very little wear. It has the six and half inch barrel and the action locks up tight as a new one. When I got home with it I gave it a good cleaning with Hoppes #9 and the bore is clean as a whistle and not a sign of lead. As soon as I get to shoot it I'll post a report on it. I haven't been able to use Photo bucket in a long time but I reckon ya'll know what they look like. 77 years old and this is my first Single Six, it sure has a good feel with that long barrel.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Re: Picked up old Ruger Single Six.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

EVERYONE should have one of these!

Congrats! 8)
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Enjoy, they can be very accurate with the 22 mag cylinder and Winchester 22 mag dyna-points.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I love mine. .22 revolver perfection.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I have an old one from 1957, I bought it for $75.00 at my LE Agencies auction. It doesn't have the mag cylinder, but it is my favorite .22 pistol of all time--haven't gotten around to getting it finished, but did put brand new wood grips on, the photo shows the old beat-up grips--GOOD CHOICE IN A .22 REVOLVER...:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Lefty Dude wrote:Enjoy, they can be very accurate with the 22 mag cylinder and Winchester 22 mag dyna-points.

I found this to be true as well.

Great score! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Good snag there Jerry B. Hey, we are exactly the same age but I've owned a couple of those before.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

1894c wrote:I have an old one from 1957, I bought it for $75.00 at my LE Agencies auction. It doesn't have the mag cylinder, but it is my favorite .22 pistol of all time--haven't gotten around to getting it finished, but did put brand new wood grips on, the photo shows the old beat-up grips--GOOD CHOICE IN A .22 REVOLVER...:)

I LIKE the way that looks...classic old west look. I would just leave it that way : )
cable
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice acquisition ! . :D

Last Fall, I was able to get a rather hard-to-find .22Mag-only (mine was made in 1960) in pristine condition.

Then, I cased it, and went & put a set of SI grips on it. . :mrgreen:

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Lefty Dude wrote:Enjoy, they can be very accurate with the 22 mag cylinder and Winchester 22 mag dyna-points.
I have a '71 also. The Dynapoints do 1240fps out of my 6.5" barrel. They smack with a lot more authority than the LR's. Mine is a rusty fish box gun. But action is tight with a nice bore. Yours is so much more nicer. Hope you enjoy it. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

The Winchester 22 mag Dynapoints are a 45 gr. lead head. They are not jacketed as the Winchester Super X Mags, but are much more accurate.

Walmart will have them from time to time, when they do I buy all I can.
SASS# 51223

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Lefty Dude wrote:The Winchester 22 mag Dynapoints are a 45 gr. lead head. They are not jacketed as the Winchester Super X Mags, but are much more accurate.

I thought they shot real dirty, left lots of unburnt powder in my 4 5/8 SS....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yep, those old model Rugers can be very addicting. It's apples and oranges between the old models and the new models. The actions are so smooth and distinct.....no stupid warning lettering stamped all over....better fit and finish......plus you get more bucks from them each year instead of the other way around? This Single Six is from '57.-----6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice flatgate, 6 - and, I love that the cylinder frame's blue has turned to that plum color.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Pete,
Dang! I wish I was not color blind. Lots of people have told me that concerning the old flat tops I have laying around. I can't see it. I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. :D ----6

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Nice flatgate, 6 - and, I love that the cylinder frame's blue has turned to that plum color.

+1

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sixgun wrote:Pete,
Dang! I wish I was not color blind. Lots of people have told me that concerning the old flat tops I have laying around. I can't see it. I'm blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. :D ----6

That flat loading gate (aka: flatgate) is rare, nowadays - Only the early Single-Six's were issued with the flat gate, and a LOT of the early owners obtained the solid/rounded loading gate from Ruger's parts dept when Ruger introduced the loading gate change, and installed the newer gate.

I often wonder how many flat loading gates got thrown away, or are in scrounge boxes somewhere.

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Sixgun wrote:Yep, those old model Rugers can be very addicting. It's apples and oranges between the old models and the new models. The actions are so smooth and distinct.....no stupid warning lettering stamped all over....better fit and finish......plus you get more bucks from them each year instead of the other way around? This Single Six is from '57.-----6

Ya know, there's something mighty familiar about that picture, but I just can't put my finger on it........... :lol: :lol:

Nice find! :D There's something about those old Rugers that just speak to you......mine was made in 1955 so maybe they were made a couple years???. I got mine in Tulsa in 2005. It's the only one I ever had chance to buy.

It took me a half hour to dig all that stuff up for the picture. I've got a towel the same color as yours, but I couldn't find it. (Smith and Wesson grips, but not the same).
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Now if that ain't a pair to draw to, what a nice set of six guns ya'll have.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Daisy man,
That blew me away as I post so many pictures I thought it was one I posted several years back......and then........I blew the pic up and saw your s.n.

Good one dude! Tomorrow lets get out the big bores.......all barrel lengths. I can see you are also a Ruger guy :D --------6

Daisyman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Daisyman »

Been out all day, thus the late reply.
I hate to disappoint you, Six, but I don't own a big bore Ruger. I have 2 single sixes (1955, 1957), a single six magnum only(1959), and a Super single six (1967), but no Blackhawks or Redhawks. :| I also have a Mark 1, bull bbl, target pistol (1977).

Irv
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

BlaineG wrote:
Lefty Dude wrote:The Winchester 22 mag Dynapoints are a 45 gr. lead head. They are not jacketed as the Winchester Super X Mags, but are much more accurate.

I thought they shot real dirty, left lots of unburnt powder in my 4 5/8 SS....
I also have a 4 5/8 SS and I do not have the problem as you indicate with unburned powder.

My Brother also has the same model, and I have never heard him complain, he can be rather anal at times.
SASS# 51223

Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

JerryB, congratulations those single six's are fantastic guns & the three screws are special.

Sixgun, that flatgate is fantastic. I had one once but then I had two so traded the flatgate. Wish I'd kept it!
Thanks for sharing.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I know that the old SS Rugers are special but I didn't realize just how nice they really are. Sure proud I finally got one of my own.

Frank V
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Frank V »

Rugers are special. The New Vaquero gives almost Colt like feeling & has all the safety features.
U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!