Marbles tang sight and 1886 win

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Marbles tang sight and 1886 win

Post by flatnose »

I think I am going to fit a tang sight on my 1886 miroku/win.
I have a question. when the bolt is open and rearward, does the ears at the rear of the bolt straddle the sight stem?
My rifle has the safety on the tang, so I will go with the marbles improved. The above question especially pertains to the use
of taller stems should I wish to.
Any other clearance problems? I know there is not a lot of room for my thumb over the stock, if any at all.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Marbles tang sight and 1886 win

Post by Sixgun »

Yes.....the bolt straddles the stem.....86 stems are taller than 92, 94 and the stem sits farther back on the base so make sure you order one for the 86. Some years back I stuck one on my sons 86 Browning......had to d & t....that's all.------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I actually never D/T'd the tang of my High Grade M-86EL for the Marbles tang sight, after I noticed that the underside of the Marble's sight base was concave, and the upper surface of the Miroku tang was convex.

I simply kept the sight tight with only the tang screw - but I did check it for tightness every time I set out hunting.

I didn't have any issues with looseness and/or accuracy over the 5 years I shot & hunted with the rifle.

flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

Thanks guys, I will probably use one screw to hold it in place, but I am not sure which stem to order. I want something that goes from 0-250 or 300 yds. I think the short stem maybe too short, and I might need the standard length due to the rearward mounting of the base.
Any thoughts on that?
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

I have the Marbles Tang Peep on my Miroku 1886 .45-90 and the Marbles folding barrel sight - a great combination. In the picture below, the barrel sight had not yet been installed. There was no need to replace the front sight. Note that the peep sight is so tall that it would touch the comb when folded back.
Note below how the sight now folds back and locks in front of the front of the comb; 86er did this for me - he removed enough wood to allow this as it protects the peep sight when not in use.

Barrel sight folded down allows use of the peep:

This combo has worked well from Texas to RSA and I recommend it. Barrel sight on big game up close and peep for distance shooting.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

CRS,
Similar to my 45-70 rifle. what is max range with the sight fully elevated?
oops, I lied. Mine has the pistol grip, but the upper tang is still the same as yours I would guess.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Maximum range? I do not know.
Since this is a hunting rifle, the longest shots at deer size game have been 100 - 150 yards using 300 grain Winchester supreme .45-70 ammo with Nosler PP bullets- devastating!
All the big stuff taken has been with hot hand loads from 300 - 450 grains at 50 yards or less and that included bison, elephant, cape buffalo, leopard, water buff, etc.

Again, since this is a hunting rifle, I set the sights a 50 yards for the barrel sight and 100 yards with the peep using factory 300 grain ammo.
The sight settings for Africa were for 300 grains at 2200 fps using the peep.
The barrel sight was set for 50 yards for the 450 grain bullets at 2150. Worked like a charm!

Marbles should be able to answer your question about stem length for different cartridges and ranges. I looked into that years ago when ordering the sights, but have forgotten the details.

Have fun with that rifle.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have the Marbles tang sight on my 1916 vintage 86 and it too straddles the stem with the "ears" on the bolt. Mine is a 45-90 and I adjusted the sights for 100 and 200 yards using 300 grain bullets. It works very well and I find it handy when hunting.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

flatnose wrote:Thanks guys, I will probably use one screw to hold it in place, but I am not sure which stem to order. I want something that goes from 0-250 or 300 yds. I think the short stem maybe too short, and I might need the standard length due to the rearward mounting of the base.
Any thoughts on that?
I have experience with several of these sights, the short stem is almost always too short. Get the standard length by all means.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

JN
Since this is a new project for you, why not get both stems and try them at your ranges of interest?
That will spice it up some and then you can write us an authoritative report on the subject.
Inquiring minds want to know.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I have owned the rifle for a long time, and never really liked the stock sights. Over time, it has become increasingly difficult to use the sights, so I decided on a tang sight.
I have ordered the next sight stem up from the shortest, which was initially a guess. I went back to the marbles site, and at the bottom of the page after scrolling all the way past the various part numbers, there are drawings and dimensions of the various stems. I seems like I picked the correct one. If I had gone with the suggested short stem, I would not be able to see over the receiver.
I shot the rile a couple of weeks ago, and managed A few 15 shot groups at 1.25'' @100yds. If the new sights work out, I hope to almost half the group size, at least it did so in the past by fitting tang sights on other rifles.
I will keep you all posted on how this works out.
Thanks again guys for the suggestions.