Three gun game

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Three gun game

Post by hondo1892 »

Do any of you guys shoot three gun matches. I was watching the women shoot on TV and top shooters could really move fast. I want to set up a course for my daughter and me and would like some ideas. I have some from watching the match on tv but would like some ideas from some one that has actually shot one. We aren't looking to compete but would like to practice shooting on the move and such. I have a pretty good spot on my place with three hills surrounding the location so no need to build berms.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Three gun game

Post by Malamute »

I shot one match years ago, it was quite a lot of fun. Theres likely tons of videos of shoots on youtube, I know one club in Wisconsin or Minnesota does a yearly zombie themed 3 gun shoot that's become pretty popular also, and looked fun. Id like to shoot a 3 gun with a single action (or two) and lever gun and pump shotgun some time just for fun. Ive done some cowboy shoots, and they are alright, but a bit different than more modern 3 gun shooting. I did shoot a 5 plate shoot with a single action. Had some snickers at first, then they stopped when they realized I was making good time and usually had a round left at the end. No danger of winning, but not buried in the pack either.

Some of the women shooters are very good, and fun to watch. Jessica Hook, Michelle Viscusi, Maria Guschina, and some others. Theres a 12 or 13 year old girl that's very good also. One vid she started put with a full auto 5.56 carbine, then shotgun then pistol and had a pretty good stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZE-EDGw2vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9EJKxlQgOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BYjs4UsNCI
Last edited by Malamute on Thu May 19, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Hondo, you better think about using a composite ramrod if you're going to be shooting that fast..would hate to see you shatter a hickory and run it in your hand..just sayin....
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I did for a few years till I pretty much ran out of money. :lol: Didn't really run out of it, I never had it, I just couldn't shoot on credit anymore. It gets spendy.

As for ideas, Youtube will be the way to go for sure.
Slow is just slow.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks guys.
Les I'll just carry more rifles. :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've shot a few around here in No. Texas. I know a couple that're former cowboy shooters and friends, tho' they've moved down south and I haven't seen them in about 2 years.... I think she's ranked up in the top 10 of women... Just provide a target rich environment, with some "alleys" for running and some for shooting, falling plates for shotgun and paper target for pistol and rifle; mixed in with some steel. Barricades to shoot from and maybe some hostage type targets... As I recall, a typical run would be 6-10 shotgun, 10-20 pistol and maybe a 30 rnd mag of ammo if you're slightly challenged... Ranges for rifle vary greatly, from 25yd out to 450 as the longest I've been to. Shotgun is usually less than 15 yards, but can be a bit farther, as sometimes my 26" "skeet" barrel is over-extended if it takes a LOT of shot on a KD. Pistol can range from 7 to about 50 yards as the longest... but I have seen and been defeated by a 100 yard one! I don't get out very often, but always enjoy it... especially if the son is along! @ 65, I'm definitely amongst the oldest there... and definitely, no... definitely NOT in the worst shape, and tho' with a single stack 1911, pump shotgun, I sometimes find myself last on a stage... I haven't finished LAST overall yet!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I've shot half a dozen 3gun or "multi-gun" matches (not always 3 guns, sometimes more than 3). I've assistant-RO'd one large national match stage (fancy name for the guy carrying the clipboard recording the scores the senior guy called out). If you've watched enough 3-gun matches on video, you may have even seen me. :)

If you want a basic start-up type match, some "walls" (fence, plastic, cloth, whatever, the orange safety netting works well) and barrels or barricades. One I liked starting out was a "bank robbery" where you started out at the rear of the range (the "Bank manager office"), drew your pistol, worked your way down a couple of "hallways" clearing little "rooms" (aimed to the sides into berms) as you went. Lot of no shoot targets, one or two shoot targets. After you shoot a couple, you "find a dead guard" and acquire his shotgun, then use the shotgun through the rest of the stage as long as the ammo lasted and/or went to pistol. I think total rounds fired was under 25 pistol assuming you didn't miss a bunch, maybe 5-6 shotgun.

One of the more complicated ones I've seen (on video) simulated escaping a middle eastern prison, you started hooded, partially "ziptied" (string) you had to bust the string, grab the pistol near you, shoot your way down a couple halls/rooms, acquire a rifle (yours), shoot several close/far targets, then "escape" out the last wall/window, move on foot (this was set up in a very large range) and engage a couple rifle targets at about 250m.

The stage I assisted on for the national match involved (shot perfectly) 8 birdshot, 2 slugs, and 11-12 rifle. You started out on the right side of the range, shotgun ready, shot diagonal across at four clays on stands and a steel plate (slug). Moving sideways across the rear of the bay you reloaded, getting to the other side, you repeated it shooting to the right. Clear and safe shotgun down on the table, run over, dive on ground, acquire rifle, crawl into a "tunnel" (2x4s and orange netting, so the RO could see you). At gaps in the tunnel you'd shoot 2x left and right at targets (four sets), crawl finally to the end of the tunnel, pop up behind some barrels/barricade and shoot 3 targets at close range with the rifle (standing, kneeling didn't matter).

Other stages I've seen, start with a long range rifle shot, run, shoot pistol on the way at popups, get to another rifle area and take another long range shot, etc.

You can think up some wild and weird stages, the sky is the limit.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There was a discussion recently on P-F about I believe a 10K run and gun match that sounded interesting.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The pentathalon (sp?) started out replicating everything a junior army officer or dispatch rider would have to know how to do (running, horse riding, swimming, shooting pistols and fencing I believe?)....... it's not all that a weird idea.