BLR bedding question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
anpirz1
Levergunner

BLR bedding question

Post by anpirz1 »

Gentlemen, this is my first post and wanted to start by saying thank you for letting me be part of this community.

I own a BLR stainless steel takedown chambered in 308 win. I have a Zeiss conquest 3-9x40 scope on the receiver on talley quick detach rings and mounts. I'm currently shooting Outback ammo 150gr scirocco rounds through it. I had a Neil jones trigger job done and I'm getting about 1.5" average off the bench.

I have noticed that my poi shifts some when pressure is added to the forearm in different places (i.e. My hand squeezing it). I'm almost positive that I can't free float it (being a takedown) so I'm wondering if bedding it would help?

My goal is to be able to shoot it from any position and not worry about pressure on the barrel. Thanks in advance, guys.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: BLR bedding question

Post by AJMD429 »

Welcome...!

You picked a great levergun for starters....modern power from a military cartridge, in a strong, practical levergun. Should be accurate too...(moreso than you are experiencing)...!

There are folks here who know more about that design, but there are articles by Paco on the > 'parent' site that include one on according leverguns (not takedown) that still might apply.

Here's one - http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/chapter23.htm

One thing to try might be shooting it from a rest with several loads, and if possible the wood removed, just holding the gun lightly by hand or maybe a really bounce-free rest like a pillow instead under the barrel, or under your arm. I've done that just to see if it was 'the load' or 'the gun' or 'the forend' (...sadly it was usually ' the shooter' that was the problem... :? :oops: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Try different ammo. I have the same gun with a cheaper scope and use cheaper ammo and get around 1".
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'm a huge fan of the BLR. My Grandsons and I have around a dozen of them but no take-downs. Any of ours will do close to an inch groups easily. My old one that has most of the blue worn off still groups under an inch if I put a 10X scope on it. I've never experienced the phenomenon you describe since most of ours have the barrel band around the forearm. I guess I'm no help.

Welcome to the fire.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
anpirz1
Levergunner

Post by anpirz1 »

AJMD429

I looked at the link. Some of the stuff I have done and it makes sense. Some doesn't pertain because it's a takedown. Thanks for the link.

Tman
I have tried about 15 types of ammo. Only the heavy stuff (180gr) shoots slightly less accurate. Most of the other stuff from federal blue box to Barnes ttsx shoots well.

If I'm on the bench, with both front rest and rear rest, I can get it to an inch. But I like to shoot from field positions (front rest with no rear rest, as if shooting from a blind and prone). The groups slightly opens up about 1/4". I'm not worried about that, I'm happy with the 1.25".

I guess what my main concern is, will bedding the barrel to the forearm of a takedown prevent POI shift when shooting from a position that adds a bit of pressure to the barrel? Or will I just have to shoot and make sure there is nothing pushing on the forearm, i.e. my hand squeezing it.
Pete 22
Levergunner

Post by Pete 22 »

I don't have a take down so this may not help, but I'll throw this out there for your consideration. Mine will shoot 150gr bullets very similar to what you're experiencing....maybe a hair better. But if I want the best accuracy from my rifle, I shoot 165gr bullets....one ragged hole at 100yds. Just thought I'd throw that out there for your consideration. Good Luck! 8)

Pete
Those who would sacrifice freedom for tempory security deserve neither. - Ben Franklin
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Perhaps the scope should be mounted on the barrel instead of the receiver...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
anpirz1
Levergunner

Post by anpirz1 »

Ben,
Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately, those scopes cut your field of view by quite a lot and I'm not a fan. Feels a bit awkward to me having it all the way up there. They also don't have such a big selection when it comes to scout scopes. I believe leupold makes the best one out there. Plus, I still don't think that would fix my issue. It's the harmonics that are effected in the forearm, not the scope.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Even though I've not heard it to be a problem with that type levergun, you might just slug the barrel and see if it is a bit over-bore, or see if the throat is way too excessive so the bullets yaw before fully engaging the rifling.

Neither of those would be likely to appear to vary with forearm-pressure though... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Given any thought to removing the wood from the barrel and shooting it as a way of testing for the the bedding troubles?
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
anpirz1
Levergunner

Post by anpirz1 »

Ben, that's sounds like it will be the next thing I do to try and solve this semi issue. The rifle is attached by one screw that locks the barrel in place when tightened. That's it. (I've tightened that screw by the way). In the non breakdown models it also attaches to a metal bar coming out of the receiver, I believe. So bedding it would attach it to the forearm and receiver. I'm wondering if it just beds to the forearm, will it help it will I just screw up a nice laminate forearm :?
The barrel band seems like it's there for show mainly. Plus, I've heard if the barrel band is an issue, my groups would string upwards upon heat up. It doesn't.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

anpirz1 wrote:
I guess what my main concern is, will bedding the barrel to the forearm of a takedown prevent POI shift when shooting from a position that adds a bit of pressure to the barrel? Or will I just have to shoot and make sure there is nothing pushing on the forearm, i.e. my hand squeezing it.
Two piece stocks will often be sensitive to pressure placement. I've seen a 2" shift from the bench to offhand and sitting on a non-takedown. Just be consistent as to where your hold is. Just like cheek weld.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
anpirz1
Levergunner

Post by anpirz1 »

Tycer
Funny you should mention that. There is no quintissential rifle. They all have good and less than good points to them. In the BLR I tried to find the most versatile rifle. I felt that in a takedown, a BLR could be close to perfect. But again, you get something and you have to give up something. In this case it's barrel pressure sensitivity. Not a huge issue, just another obstacle.

I'm still wondering if bedding the forearm would help though.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Have a look for a bur in the take down transverse locking slot. Seems like there might be a chance of a tiny tiny bit of wobble. .Do you know about sooting the barrel to check for uniform contact in the barrel channel?
WIL TERRY
anpirz1
Levergunner

Post by anpirz1 »

I will look specifically for the bur today, but I have looked for seating and other issues in both the takedown area as well as taken off the forearm to look for the same in its locking screw. Doesn't seem like there is any issues. What I do notice is that there are raised spots in the forearm wood (on the inside) that is designed to make contact in both the front and back of the forearm. Like little wooden contact plateaus. It seems like the barrel is held in place on wooden stilts with a middle locking screw.

I do not know anything about sooting a barrel but I would imagine it's to see where the barrel prints upon contact. I know it makes contact in all sorts of places, I can't fit a dollar bill anywhere along the barrel channel.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Pete 22 wrote:I don't have a take down so this may not help, but I'll throw this out there for your consideration. Mine will shoot 150gr bullets very similar to what you're experiencing....maybe a hair better. But if I want the best accuracy from my rifle, I shoot 165gr bullets....one ragged hole at 100yds. Just thought I'd throw that out there for your consideration. Good Luck! 8)

Pete
I neglected to mention that I too shoot 165 grain bullets. Sierra's.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
anpirz1
Levergunner

Post by anpirz1 »

I will try the sierra 165's just to have a heavier round to go to, but gentlemen, my accuracy is not the issue. I've been asking if bedding a takedown barrel to its receiver will help reduce poi shift when pressure is added to the forend upon shooting? Or is it necessary to bed the barrel and forend to the receiver, making it unable to be done in a takedown? (Free floating it seems obviously impossible to me, considering there is a big screw holding the barrel in place)