Brooks .778" 730 grain 10 gauge slug

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Brooks .778" 730 grain 10 gauge slug

Post by 6pt-sika »

A friend on Castboolits was kind enough to make his Brooks .778" 730 grain HB mold available to me . And I cast 300 of them today of 50/50 WW's and pure lead .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Brooks .778" 730 grain 10 gauge slug

Post by .45colt »

Man those should sure work Great on a Big Bear........can't wait to see the pictures. 8) .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

At the moment the only thing I can shoot them in is my old Macfarlane 10 gauge ML . But hopefully I'll soon find a set a of Parker hammerless 10 gauge barrels that have been cut or to cut . But I figured while I had the mold I'd make a lifetime supply .
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

This is where the term 'throw-weight' carries some, um, weight.

I don't know about a bear load though. Depends on hardness and frangibility.

Some penetration tests would be fun, eh?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

These slugs are .778" and the most open chokes on ANY of my 10 gauge cartridge doubles is maybe .760" .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Just got back from the range !

Tried these slugs again in my Macfarlane original 10 gauge SxS ML . I have yet to find a thin enough material to use as a patch with these so I keep using the overshot cards I cut for birdshot and buckshot .

I had before tried 70 and 80 grains of granulated 777 2Fg . Today I started with 80 grains and again it shot high at 25 yards . So I bumped it up to 90 grains and again still on the high side . Bumped her on up to 100 grains and it got in a more workable area , so I figured I'd give 110 grain of granulated 777 2Fg a try and it did rather nicely or so I think !

My over powder wad cushion wad slug and over shot cards as they would go down the barrel .

This thing is starting to thump a touch with 110 grains and that metal buttplate . Think I may go back later this week and put up a larger piece of paper at 50 yards and see if I can get anything usefull out at that distance . I wouldn't mind thumping a deer with this thing this coming season .
Dusty Texian
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dusty Texian »

That load looks like it is zeroing in. May be a bad idea but , would silk lining from a thrift store be worth trying , very thin patch and cheap ? I am on the hunt for the same type bullet Hollow base wide nose , but in( .710"-.715" or close), for my .72 cal. rifled ML. The hollow base would work great with the Pillar Breech system . Any suggestions on were to look for such a beast? I am considering a mould from Accurate ,have purchased from them before great moulds . Would like to try bullets before having a custom built , I guess we all do. Any help would be appreciated . ,,DT
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Dusty Texian wrote:That load looks like it is zeroing in. May be a bad idea but , would silk lining from a thrift store be worth trying , very thin patch and cheap ? I am on the hunt for the same type bullet Hollow base wide nose , but in( .710"-.715" or close), for my .72 cal. rifled ML. The hollow base would work great with the Pillar Breech system . Any suggestions on were to look for such a beast? I am considering a mould from Accurate ,have purchased from them before great moulds . Would like to try bullets before having a custom built , I guess we all do. Any help would be appreciated . ,,DT
That might not be a bad idea . I think I'm first gonna try the thin cotton from a pair of old CLEAN boxer shorts . Yesterday I tried an old oxford cloth white shirt that no longer fits me , but it was to thick .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Dirty shorts and the patch would grip the slug better. Just sayin' ...

:P
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Dirty shorts and the patch would grip the slug better. Just sayin' ...

:P

Hmmmm , no I think I'd rather they were clean !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I cast 100 more slugs today and packaged up my friends mold to ship it back to him .

400 of these should surely last me my lifetime .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I like this :D

Pack a folded newspaper in your coat for range testing.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Nath wrote:I like this :D

N.
What coat it's been 35-40 degrees centigrade here for the last week or so !
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

6pt-sika wrote:
Nath wrote:I like this :D

N.
What coat it's been 35-40 degrees centigrade here for the last week or so !
Something light then.

https://goo.gl/images/V5wF2y

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Wonder if these ever got shot and what the results (shoulder AND target) were? I've found pure lead "Punkin Balls" in the right side cylinder bore barrel of my great grandfather's Remington 1889 hammer 10 are "minute of hog" at 50 yards, but I never found a slug to try. His double has a small back sight dovetailed into the rib and a "flip-up" Beach front sight for use with solids. A few UMC 2 5/8" black powder punkin balls came with the gun, and I tried them first, then loaded some home cast ones in "modern" 2 7/8" cases with smokeless. They shot even better than the originals, but they do kick a little, which is not helped by the excessive drop in the stocks of many old doubles including my Remington. I can get about 6-7" 3-shot groups at 50 yards until I start flinchin'!

This gun has "Armoury" fluid steel barrels (it's the lowest "field" grade) and was rechambered to the old 2 7/8" "Magnum" 10 guage round sometime around WWI. Left barrel is marked "Not for ball" and is choked IM.

Let us know how your slugs worked out, especially if you got that Parker up and smokin'!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mike Armstrong wrote:Wonder if these ever got shot and what the results (shoulder AND target) were? I've found pure lead "Punkin Balls" in the right side cylinder bore barrel of my great grandfather's Remington 1889 hammer 10 are "minute of hog" at 50 yards, but I never found a slug to try. His double has a small back sight dovetailed into the rib and a "flip-up" Beach front sight for use with solids. A few UMC 2 5/8" black powder punkin balls came with the gun, and I tried them first, then loaded some home cast ones in "modern" 2 7/8" cases with smokeless. They shot even better than the originals, but they do kick a little, which is not helped by the excessive drop in the stocks of many old doubles including my Remington. I can get about 6-7" 3-shot groups at 50 yards until I start flinchin'!

This gun has "Armoury" fluid steel barrels (it's the lowest "field" grade) and was rechambered to the old 2 7/8" "Magnum" 10 guage round sometime around WWI. Left barrel is marked "Not for ball" and is choked IM.

Let us know how your slugs worked out, especially if you got that Parker up and smokin'!
Read closer friend I already shot them in the muzzle loader . As to my Parker's I need to either find a donor barrel or a gun with already cut barrels . I do happen to have a bunch of .730" 730 grain slugs I've already tried in three Parker's and an LC Smith .
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Sorry, somehow I managed to skip past the "shootin'" parts of your post to the end postings! Duhhhhhhh....

Looks like these will work fine if you can find a chokeless barrel. And if your shoulder joints hold up!

And I hope you DO get to try it on a deer this season.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mike Armstrong wrote:
And I hope you DO get to try it on a deer this season.
That's pretty much a given :wink: