Newer Winchester 1873 Question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Newer Winchester 1873 Question

Post by Rube Burrows »

Is the color case hardening on the new production Winchester 1873 a real case color hardening or more along the lines of what Uberti does?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Newer Winchester 1873 Question

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't think them to be true case-hardening colors, as used long ago on the gennie's, mostly because AFAIK today's better steels don't usually get case-hardened, and ergo, the colors are cosmetic only.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe they are true color case hardening. You can send nearly any gun to Turnbull and have it color case hardened. Have seen a number of Ruger single actions so done.

Had more coffee, what does Uberti do that's not true color case hardening? I believe its true color case hardening, but not as good of quality as others like Colt or Turnbull.

My first response was thinking like the cheap color finish Ruger did on Vaqueros.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

I have not closely examined a 73, but I have an 86 and 95 that have 'real' case colored finish. My guess is that it is real.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:I believe they are true color case hardening. You can send nearly any gun to Turnbull and have it color case hardened. Have seen a number of Ruger single actions so done.

Had more coffee, what does Uberti do that's not true color case hardening? I believe its true color case hardening, but not as good of quality as others like Colt or Turnbull.

My first response was thinking like the cheap color finish Ruger did on Vaqueros.
Uberti does a chemical wash, arsenic and something that imparts a CCH "like" finish to the metal, but isn't quite as long lasting or durable as a true bone & charcoal CCH. My '86 Uberti '73 has faded quite a lot over the years. I'll have to wait and see how the 1860 "Steel" Henry and 2014 Uberti age.

1986:
2014:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

I've been told that Uberti uses cyanide bath case hardening, or something very similar..
Tom's Gunshop, late of Cody, Wyoming used the cyanide bath process for many years, including special runs for Marlin.
Depth of colors depends on chemical strength, bath temperature and length of immersion..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Whatever the exact method, the color quality is pretty good on most of the pictures Ive seen on the new Miroku Winchester 73's, some being outstanding. I have a serious crush on the new Miroku Winchester 73's, I truly hope I can acquire one at some point.

Thinking that avoiding the 45 Colt chambering, which I load super power bear loads for in the Ruger SA, would be smart. 44-40 or 357 would my choices.

They are doing some higher grade rifles with very nice wood, and some higher grade carbines with color case hardened barrel bands also (seems sort of weird), which have nice colors. My shoulder doesnt like the crescents unfortunately. A carbine is probably what will work best for me.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

My 325 grain "bear loads" are too long to feed through a '73 carrier/lifter.
The heavier bullet looks and feels much different than the normal 250 grain RNFP..
I push the 250s along with a stout dose of H-4198, for both six gun and rifle..
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I recall your loads, they gave pretty decent performance with moderate pressure. I already have quite a variety of 45 Colt loads around, from 10 grs Unique/260 gr to 18.5 grs 2400 w/ 300 gr cast FP, to 22 grs 2400 with 225 gr Speer JHP to 23.5 gr H-110 with a couple different 300-310-325 gr bullets.

As much as not wanting me to make a mistake, I didnt want anyone that may inherit my guns and stuff to make a mistake. I have other stuff I carry for bear guns in the mountains, the 73 would be more for fun shooting and non grizzly country woods bumming.

Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Back when Navy Arms made the deal with Winchester/Miroku for manufacture of a new generation of 1873s, the CCH was to be done by Turnbull & Co., and was to be done by the original bone charcoal method..
Regards

Buck

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks for the responses. I really have been liking the photos I see of the new Winchester 73s and have been thinking about possibly adding one to the stable but was just curious about them. I like the ones with the pistol grip stock (although I wish it was checkered) and think it would be fun to have.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you file off the surface CCH on a Colt frame, it will be silver underneath, and put cold blue on it the pattern will return looking CCH again. If you put cold blue on a Pietta chemical blued frame it will turn it blue. Hmm? Wonder how I know this? :wink:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

This is true color casehardening on an takedown 1893 Marlin. See the difference? This type takes much longer to do and is more involved than what modern gunmakers are willing to do as profit is more important than old time craftsmanship.

I've never seen true colors on any modern mass produced gun made after WW2 except the later L.C. Smith doubles---6

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Sixgun wrote:This is true color casehardening on an takedown 1893 Marlin. See the difference? This type takes much longer to do and is more involved than what modern gunmakers are willing to do as profit is more important than old time craftsmanship.

I've never seen true colors on any modern mass produced gun made after WW2 except the later L.C. Smith doubles---6

Beautiful rifle.