S&W Shield now in .45 ACP

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

S&W Shield now in .45 ACP

Post by JohndeFresno »

For those who might have occasion to need a reliable, accurate and very high concealment pistol,
S&W's tiny Shield is now available in 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, and (the latest) .45 ACP, with and without integral laser sights.
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... 7781_image

DeSantis now makes holsters for these pistols, with or without laser.

DeSantis was the only holster maker I could find that makes a specifically fitted ankle glove - a total wraparound, non binding ankle holster - for the Shield. I have found it to be of the expected excellent quality with a beautiful black leather finish, barely noticeable even for all day wear, although you feel the slight weight difference in your stride as with any ankle holster. I have tried various holsters that have the supporting calf strap and for me, it starts cutting into my leg with activity. At the end of the day I'm red and bruised. Not so with the fleece lined, velcro adjustable ankle glove.

Edited for typo
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: S&W Shield now in .45 ACP

Post by Blaine »

Maybe about the same size as a Glock 30S?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Blaine, it's smaller - here is a comparison table.

What blows me away about the 9mm version (what I now own) is its accuracy in my hands. Something about the grip angle and material and the way the trigger works. I would guess that the .45 ACP is also phenomenal.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds very interesting. I don't like the feel of a Glock. Not a put down on Glock, just my opinion on the personal fit. I don't own anything by S&W, but I have held the M&P in a store. It felt good. The shield is just the compact version, isn't it?
Might be time to get a S&W.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I need a lighter 45.....my 4506 shoots great just way too heavy too carry all day
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Daughter has a ,40S$W Shield and loves it.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I watched Jerry Miculek video shooting the shield .380. he hit his target plate from 200yds with one shot, and made 100% from 50. fun stuff for the guys with eagle eyes.

it looks like a viable alternative to the lcp, although the new lcp with the upgraded trigger is very very sweet.

anyone know how the two, shield 380 and lcp 380 compare size-wise?

AND, anyone know how the new shield 45 compares, size-wise, to the springfield xd 45c, part of my carry schedule, which is almost identical size to the xd9sc . . .

just wondering what the xd's give up to the shield, for the loss of a half dozen rounds, 10+1 in the xd45c, 13+1 in the xd9sc.

I get it that the shield is narrower than the double stack xd slide, but six rounds is a lot of instant gratification to trade off.

I can see it some ways, I carry the ruger all the time for its compactness, and I could hide a half dozen of them easily and comfortably . . . the layered approach. Heh :)
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Grizz wrote:I watched Jerry Miculek video shooting the shield .380. he hit his target plate from 200yds with one shot, and made 100% from 50. fun stuff for the guys with eagle eyes.

it looks like a viable alternative to the lcp, although the new lcp with the upgraded trigger is very very sweet.

anyone know how the two, shield 380 and lcp 380 compare size-wise?

AND, anyone know how the new shield 45 compares, size-wise, to the springfield xd 45c, part of my carry schedule, which is almost identical size to the xd9sc . . .

just wondering what the xd's give up to the shield, for the loss of a half dozen rounds, 10+1 in the xd45c, 13+1 in the xd9sc.

I get it that the shield is narrower than the double stack xd slide, but six rounds is a lot of instant gratification to trade off.

I can see it some ways, I carry the ruger all the time for its compactness, and I could hide a half dozen of them easily and comfortably . . . the layered approach. Heh :)
Unless you are a combat infantry man or a uniformed LEO, seems 6 rounds would get you out of a bad situation. If you feel you need more, stay home or carry an M4 with a 30 round clip.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:...anyone know how the new shield 45 compares, size-wise, to the springfield xd 45c, part of my carry schedule, which is almost identical size to the xd9sc . . .just wondering what the xd's give up to the shield, for the loss of a half dozen rounds, 10+1 in the xd45c, 13+1 in the xd9sc.
Dunno that, but I've pretty much got five handguns for 'CCW' use", and for me the 'compact 45' niche is held firmly by my Para Ordnance P-12.
  • 1. Jogging shorts (which I'm seldom wearing) - North American Arms 5-shot Pug in 22 WMR
    2. Shorts and T-shirt - SIG P938 - the most compact 9mm I can hit with reliably - and I like 'exposed hammer' guns
    3. Average Attire and Average Risk - Para Ordnance P-12 45 ACP - 13 shots of 45 ACP in a COMPACT 'officer' model 1911
    4. Average Attire and Higher Risk - (seldom a situation I engage in) - Para Ordnance P-14 - 15 shots but 'normal' 1911 size
    5. No-holds-barred into the Gates of Hell - either my Redhawks 45 Colt or 300 Blk 'AR' pistol.
Note that situations 2, 3, & 4 all enable me to use "1911-pattern" guns, so they all function the same. In situation # 5, the handgun would likely be in my hand, so 'concealment' and 'reflex draw' would not be an issue... :D

The P-12 is VERY HARD TO BEAT. Yes, you can 'slim-down' the gun for a bit more conceivability, but as Bob Cambell says, "The pistol weighs 26 ounces unloaded. When fully loaded, there is a difference in heft. The piece weighs about 36 ounces fully loaded, which is still less than an empty Government Model .45."

Weight unloaded is 24-26 ounces (depending on grips), and Length is 7.5", versus 20.5 ounces and 6.5" for the S&W. If I didn't feel the extra inch was worth the extra six rounds, I'd just stick with the 9mm SIG at 5.9" and 16 oz....

If I didn't have long skinny fingers, and honestly feel that the mere 3/16" added grip-girth was actually a plus in terms of comfort and on-target reflexive grip, I might stick with the single-stack, but the P-12 points far more naturally for me than any Glock, S&W, or single-stack 1911 I've ever handled.

Here's a good review of the P-12 - http://www.notpurfect.com/main/p12.htm

So don't buy anything until you've at least looked at the Para Ordnance 'system' - http://www.notpurfect.com/main/posys.html

You can still find them on Gunbroker - http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=para+p12

If you prefer the 'who knows what is going on inside that hunk of metal' "striker fired" guns, versus the exposed/controlled hammer of the 1911 design, then the Glock or S&W is a good deal, but I have never liked those designs (probably just because I'm old), so when I found out I could get an 'Officers Model' 1911 that held 12 shots in the magazine, I pretty well settled on that and haven't looked for anything 'better'. It also will accept the 20-ROUND magazines that the P-14 accepts, and they only extend a couple inches below the standard 1911 grip. Not likely necessary, but does give a bit of extra peace of mind if that is your 'nightstand' gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The .380 is the Bodyguard. Very, very different gun from the Shield.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I applaud S&W on this and getting the weight down, but it is still big enough for me to leave at home -- about the size of my Radom P-64 albeit in a much more effective caliber than 9 Mak. LCP is still the go-along.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Bill in Oregon wrote:I applaud S&W on this and getting the weight down, but it is still big enough for me to leave at home -- about the size of my Radom P-64 albeit in a much more effective caliber than 9 Mak. LCP is still the go-along.
I sold off my 9mm Shield after I bought a 45 XDS because I couldn't hit a barn door with the Shield. Then I traded the XDS for a Sig 938 because the XDS was too big for my everyday carry needs. Now I have something small enough that I do carry daily that doesn't weigh a lot, isn't bulky, is enough fire power and can fit in my pocket.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Doc, with the 13rnd mag the xd45c has a full size grip and 4" barrel and 14 rounds to go, roughly the layout you like. But harder for me to conceal.

Oh yeah, almost forgot the armalite pistol with several hundred rounds on ready alert. But I have to wear the rain pancho to conceal it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

piller wrote:...The shield is just the compact version, isn't it?
Might be time to get a S&W.
No, S&W makes a "Compact" (at least in 9mm) which I tried out while shooting with a friend, and I was impressed.

The "Shield" is essentially a "Compact," only a bit smaller, with a single stack magazine that holds a few less rounds, but which is less than an inch thick and very light. That is what I ended up purchasing, for the same reasons - great natural shooter, easy to conceal, handles anything you load into it right out of the box without a burp.
Grizz wrote: ...anyone know how the new shield 45 compares, size-wise, to the springfield xd 45c, part of my carry schedule, which is almost identical size to the xd9sc . . .
There is a significant size difference between the Springfield XD 45c and the Shield.

I just Googled it and discovered that the XD 45c is 8.2" long, 5.0" barrel, 1.3" wide, and a hefty 28.5 ounces unloaded - way too big and heavy for an all day ride on my ankle.

My normal carry is a .45 ACP 1911 platform. But when I'm at an activity in this summer weather that dictates no outerwear and a tucked in shirt, the smaller firearm makes a lot of difference; especially wearing it all day on your ankle.

Besides, one can carry one or two of those slim single stack mags in pockets without them showing - more than enough portable firepower, right?
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

OK I see how the comparisons go, but my xd45c is smaller than your specs. It has a 4" barrel, and with the short mag is barely longer in the grip than the 3.5" xd9sc.

I agree about how concealable the pocket guns are, and value them for the same reasons. This image is difficult to read because of the shadows from the 3x5 cards. But it gives the relative sizes of my three little friends.
capture.png
I often carry all three when I feel the need. Airport runs for example. I am on the platform with lots of cameras, police, and chaotic passenger herds, wearing a tee for concealment, and so far have not been noticed. Same same in the mall.

The 45 goes strong side IWB. The 9 goes into left boot top, grip forward, no holster. And the ruger goes into weak side front pants pocket.

It might seem like the 9 would be intolerably uncomfortable in a boot but oddly enough I've carried it that way, sometimes every day, for years with no problems.

Sometimes the 9 goes IWB and the ruger goes into the boot, or vice-versa.

But as you suggest I often think I could conceal a dozen rugers with no one catching on. I just go with what I have. This weekend's road trip I added a keltec 9mm folding carbine for the layered effect. But to conceal it I'd have to use the rain pancho, and I can't do that legally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Here, now, is a review of the new .45 ACP Shield from DownRange TV:
http://www.downrange.tv/blog/reviewing- ... -45/37716/

Essentially, it shoots with the same excellent accuracy, is about the same size as the 9mm, and fits a Springfield XD holster.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

What about the reliability issue in small 45 acp pistols? Jeff Cooper always maintained not to trust any barrel length shorter than 4 1/4" (Commander length). Now, that was at a time when there were pretty much only 1911s around. So, do all other subcompact designs in 45 acp get the approval nod for reliability?
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

kaschi,

I can't speak to the M&Ps reliability, but when Smith made their 3rd generation autos, most all of them would feed everything including an empty case from the mag, either hand fed or under firing. My Shorty 45s would.

Cooper was correct. But things have changed since then. :)

Cat
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Catshooter wrote:kaschi,...Cooper was correct. But things have changed since then. :)

Cat
I agree. My favorite semi is still the Colt 1911 MK IV Series 70 .45 ACP with its grip mounted Crimson Trace device.

However, components - powder, metallurgy, and bullets - have kept improving. And so have these gee-whiz polymers and plastics, although the words have to be typed; I choke up when I try to mention those words aloud.

It is pretty to check out the reliability of these new generation guns. The Shield is one that rates with the very best in accuracy, dependability, and ergonomics (for most users, including me).

The Gun-Tests publication, available in print version or online, is one source that consistently gives very high marks to the Shield and other lightweight compact firearms. It is the Consumer Reports of the firearms world. They do not take contributions from the stakeholders of the industry, nor do they accept invitations to Nilo Farms or other company owned shooting sites. I have seen more than one expensive Italian shotgun rate very poorly, while in the same test a cheap shotgun got the thumbs up.

But for free, you might want to Google the make, model and caliber and find articles by your favorite gun writer, YouTube tester or whatnot - even if there are some pretenders also on the 'net. The bottom line is that guns as a class of equipment are improving by leaps and bounds.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

This month's Guns & Ammo (October 2015), Patrick Sweeney compares the Honor Defense Honor Guard 9mm, Ruger SR1911 Lightweight Commander 9mm, and the Smith & Wesson M&P45 Shield .45 ACP.

In his article, "The New Hotness," Patrick Sweeney writes on Pg. 115:
"Short guns are not always easy to shoot accurately. Short guns in big calibers can be particularly difficult. This M&P45 Shield proved exceptional and disproves these rules. When the worst group - and one fired with carry ammo - measures less than 3 inches, it is difficult to fault the pistol being tested. It's a shooter!"