Best Brand 0f Black Powder Cartridge Powder

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Best Brand 0f Black Powder Cartridge Powder

Post by Bullard4075 »

I would like to try some Black Powder loads in my 40-75-260 (40-65 Win) Bullard. Is there any kind of agreement as to the best brand and granulation. Realizing this is a loaded (no pun intended) question is there at least any consensus as to brands to avoid? Availability to Billings,Mt is also a big factor.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Best Brand 0f Black Powder Cartridge Powder

Post by 6pt-sika »

Venturino swore by that Schuetzen 1 1/2Fg I believe for his silhouette loads .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I found Goex 2F to be the most accurate in my browning 1885 bpcr in 40-65. I have shot sub 1" 100yd. Five shot groups with that rifle and iron sights.Better results than a couple other granulations of Goex I tried. Quite a bit better than Goex Cartridge grade did.
That said, I believe every rifle can be different in what they like best. You have to test everything, powder,primers,wads ,lubes and bullets, compression,blow tubes etc. I could never get paper patched bullets to print under 1 1/2" with that rifle even made my own bullet mold for that. RCBS 400 gr. Lube groove bullet and SPG lube shined .
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Olde Eynsford is getting a lot of attention & great reviews.
They say it really shines ballistically in the old bottle neck rounds.
I'm planning to give it a try in my 38 WCF as soon as I use up my old stuff.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a LOT of Goex "Cartridge" to use up... I'll probably be using the "Olde Elmsford" when I get back to needing some. But, I load a lot of BP in 45Colt & 12ga besides the relatively few rifle cases I load.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bulldog »

Another vote for Olde Eynsford.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I always drank the Kool-Aid that said Swiss was the gold standard, but it seems Old Eynesford is as good or better.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I've used Goex ffg for 45-60 and it was bad for fouling. I had to clean the barrel after every third shot. That said it could have been the bullet and not enough lube. You really need lots of lube shooting BP and if the bullet is designed for smokeless it usually has shallow grooves. Good lube keeps the fouling soft for longer strings between cleanings. Look for a bullet designed for BP shooting. Swiss and Old Einsford is supposed to foul less but any black powder will leave llots of fouling. That's why lube is so important when bp shooting. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Good info gents,lets see what I can find in my area before I look to order. Thanks.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper