'Truck' Guns - he didn't test a levergun, but....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

'Truck' Guns - he didn't test a levergun, but....

Post by AJMD429 »

https://youtu.be/QSMoTs6GkZg

Verified my thoughts on the Glock and AK pistols though.

The FUNNY part is how many of the East-coasters and Kalifornians would freak out at the thought of a "truck gun".... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 'Truck' Guns - he didn't test a levergun, but....

Post by OldWin »

Not around here.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

His need for a "truck gun" is obviously different that mine.

That doesn't make either his or my own requirement right or wrong, just different.

He seems to be more urban-defense oriented, while my own requirement is more an opportunistic varmint depredation thing.

To each his own.

He's made some good choices for his application. Me, I do OK with a .357 carbine or a .30-30 Trapper.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

To each his own....Nearly all the time in my particular urban areas, I'm comfortable with my LCP, and two extra mags. The next level for me would be the G30S, or 1911. As soon as I get off my butt and sight in the 1022 takedown with the Burris SpeedDot, I'll stick that in the carry case so it's handy to get to. I still need to order about three 15 round mags for the 1022, though.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote:https://youtu.be/QSMoTs6GkZg

The FUNNY part is how many of the East-coasters and Kalifornians would freak out at the thought of a "truck gun".... :lol:
Back when I was shoein' horses in CA, I often carried a mdl 94 carbine in my rifle rack, in plain view, and never worried about it. Visiting ranches and small farms, stables in the country and city, made no difference. The ONLY time I got pulled over was for not having a rear bumper on my p/u... carbine in full view, and the guy never even asked if it was loaded... Different time I guess.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:Back when I was shoein' horses in CA, I often carried a mdl 94 carbine in my rifle rack, in plain view, and never worried about it. Visiting ranches and small farms, stables in the country and city, made no difference. The ONLY time I got pulled over was for not having a rear bumper on my p/u... carbine in full view, and the guy never even asked if it was loaded... Different time I guess.
I have relatives who shudder at the thought of a 'House Gun' (even unloaded, in a safe), and the thought of a whole 'nuther g-g-g-gun seems to them really scary, much less one to keep in your vehicle.... :o :shock:

If they spent a week with me and my friends, they'd probably have to have psychotherapy just to 'recover'... :lol: :roll:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

There's plenty of people on the east coast who have guns in their vehicle...or on their person for that matter
RJM52
Levergunner

Post by RJM52 »

Last year I decided I needed something with a little more firepower than the 1911 I always carry while traveling. Came close to buying one of the AK pistols but wanted something that could be more easily concealed and really didn't want to deal with the excessive muzzle blast.

Glock solved my problem with the introduction of the Model 40 10mm long slide. As this may have to get inside a vehicle through a door or glass the Underwood 140 Xtreme Penetrator round was chosen. It uses the fluted solid copper Leighigh bullet at over 1600 fps...defeats both soft body armor and 1.5" of bulletproof glass...

The sights were changed out to the TruGlo TFO that work in bright sunlight or no light at all. On the rail went a Streamlight 700 lumen flashlight with green laser... While not traveling it is used as a bedroom gun but with a Lone Wolf .357 SIG barrel and HP ammo to cut down the penetration...

The gun and two extra magazines fit perfectly into a Bagmaster Vertical Carry Pouch that looks more like a small camera bag. It is seatbelted in the center front seat under the armrest...

For a truck gun travel rifle I use a Ruger GSR in .308... Too many places I have to travel in the NE have "assault rifle" restrictions so a bolt gun looks more like a hunting rifle..

..everyones needs are different...

Bob
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I've always looked at a "truck gun" (or in my case, a Jeep gun") as a gun that fires a rifle cartridge in a "carbine" form as I always have some sort of a revolver stuck somewhere on me.

My vote goes to the AK....even though I'm not much on foreign guns.-----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

He obviously has never been pulled over in the dark of night... any state trooper who pulls one of those choices out of somewhere within the reach of the driver is gonna detain and run him through the 'puter a second time. Maybe a third. I would. :? And I'd take a good look at his nationality.

In any case, a truck gun I'd agree, would better be a choice with a "ranch" familiar gun - a lever action or pump. One my lawyer would carry? Don't know aht type of threat he envisions on the highway, but a 30-30 separates you from the 'bangers ballistcally, and forensically. :wink:

I thought about a laser but because they're illegal for hunting in so many states, one could be trouble you don't want in a rural area. 8)

If one must have a pistol-caliber carbine behind the seat, grab onto a Kel-Tec that takes Glock mags. Today.
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

For true rural "truck gun" use, a Mini-14 with the flush 5-rd magazine is always a good choice. Like a little levergun, not a lot to get hung up on when pulling it out of wherever it is in the cab.

Scott
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

AJMD429 wrote:https://youtu.be/QSMoTs6GkZg

Don't start!

As to the original topic of the thread, I've mention numerous times that I used and AR-7 till I found it wanting then developed "The Perfect Jeep Gun" from an old Mossy 500 in .410. I liked the concept so much I took another older shotgun I had and converted it to "The Perfect Pickup Gun". The PPG is a 20 ga. Franchi model 48.

With slugs either are adequate for two legged critters and some four. With a variety of shot sizes I can handle most things that fly and few that hop and skitter.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Glock 10mm, Tokarev, M400, each has three loaded mags and box of ammo for each.
I thought the kel tec shotgun was gonna make a truck gun, but I heard bad reports on it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I like my Rossi 92 20" SRC .357 or one of the Winchester 94 30wcf carbines. They are truck guns, stuck down in an old handmade saddle scabbard since I don't have need of a saddle anymore.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote:Don't start!

As to the original topic of the thread, I've mention numerous times that I used and AR-7 till I found it wanting then developed "The Perfect Jeep Gun" from an old Mossy 500 in .410. I liked the concept so much I took another older shotgun I had and converted it to "The Perfect Pickup Gun". The PPG is a 20 ga. Franchi model 48.

With slugs either are adequate for two legged critters and some four. With a variety of shot sizes I can handle most things that fly and few that hop and skitter.
Hey, I did say "most" - you're obviously exceptional, like all lever gunners...!

I thought the ballistics of the 410 slugs were along the lines of a 'vintage' 32-20 load - nothing I'd like to be shot by, but not what I'd like to depend on if a biped were on the rampage and needed stopped. That was 10 years ago however, before you could hunt deer in my neck of the woods with a levergun, but could use "any shotgun with slugs". I'm betting the ammo now is more powerful, with the self-defense pistols in 410 and all.

I do think a 20 gauge is really a great choice - 12 gauges are surely more potent, but kind of like the 45 ACP versus 9 mm debate, the latter is much easier to hit with under stress and fast-fire. Same no doubt for 20 gauge versus the 12.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I grew up with truck guns in the Deer lodge valley of Montana. I am building, well waiting for the cerakote guy to tell me it it done actually, my version of a truck gun. I bought a beater (really rough) 336 in 35 Remington. Had the barrel cut back to 16.25 inches. We then cut the mag back to a mini sporting carbine look. Large loop lever a couple wild west guns parts, EGW base, quick detached Warne rings, Burris 2-7 power, with fiber optic front sight, flared ejection port, paracord sling, and a combo cheek piece ammo cuff. Shoots awesome, will look good and comes to the eye right now. My idea of a truck gun at its finest.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

fordwannabe wrote:I grew up with truck guns in the Deer lodge valley of Montana. I am building, well waiting for the cerakote guy to tell me it it done actually, my version of a truck gun. I bought a beater (really rough) 336 in 35 Remington. Had the barrel cut back to 16.25 inches. We then cut the mag back to a mini sporting carbine look. Large loop lever a couple wild west guns parts, EGW base, quick detached Warne rings, Burris 2-7 power, with fiber optic front sight, flared ejection port, paracord sling, and a combo cheek piece ammo cuff. Shoots awesome, will look good and comes to the eye right now. My idea of a truck gun at its finest.
I like it.

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.