Democrats bristle at firearms limits in California

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Democrats bristle at firearms limits in California

Post by Ray Newman »

This is just too rich! CA democrats complain about their rights being violated, but they support -- and probably vote for --the political party that violates their rights!

"While the vast majority of gun owners in California support measures like background checks and even obligatory gun education, they bristle at anything that limits the type or quantity of pistols, rifles and ammunition that can be bought by law-abiding citizens.

"And that includes the controversial semi-automatic weapons used in the attacks in San Bernardino, California, in December -- 14 people killed -- or in Orlando, Florida, in June -- 49 victims -- or in Paris last November -- 130 dead.

"Asked about the Orlando massacre, Frew replied: "The gay club? I am gay. I do not believe it is the firearm's fault. I do not feel that semi-automatic rifles should be restricted."

"Paul Danner, an assistant television director, pointed out that criminals can find many ways to do harm.

" 'In France, they used a truck in Nice, in the Boston bombing they used pressure cookers' rigged with explosives, Danner said.

Read all 'bout it: http://www.france24.com/en/20160920-gun ... california
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Democrats bristle at firearms limits in California

Post by David »

The thing that p... all my friends off is the certified handgun list, they require ever model to be certified which apparently isn't cheap for the manufacture and some models therefore don't get done and are simply not available in CA.

Approved handguns can be looked up here: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
(Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale)
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

They have what is coming to them as far as I am concerned. I have no use for California in its present pathetic state.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Its not too huge of a surprise. Too often, we want to 100% compartmentalize everyone that does or doesn't believe what we do, and think it has to include every aspect of our belief, or a party or plank or whatever. Many people have different political views, but still like guns. That doesn't compute to some people, but its a fact. Just like everyone that's gay is supposed to be liberal, anti-gun, and the cause of tooth decay and of the downfall of civilization. There were scads of gays both buying guns after Orlando, or seeking training for new gun owners right after. Many realized that they may have to be the only person responsible for their ultimate personal safety and security.

The world doesn't fit into little compartments. Its over simplistic to expect it to and to reject anything that doesn't fit our own version of how the world should operate. Its also one reason people that don't fit the "party platform" view of the world, but still like guns don't hang out much with people that do follow the "party platform" version of the world. I don't care if people are tattooed all over, purple hair, holes where there werent originally holes present, or spend their lives in some way that I wouldn't care to, but if they are interested in guns and shooting, I'm all for it. I'd give them whatever help and advice I could.

Lots of people like guns, not just people on the approved political ideas list. Weird, but true.

Back on topic, I haven't been able to figure out why any number of guns is more bad then whatever lower number would be. If someone is intent on mayhem, having 200 guns wont be of any more benefit than 5. Its impossible to actually use 200 at once. Same for ammo. So what of some retard jihadi wanna-be had thousands of rounds at home, how many do they think he can actually carry and use at one time? It aint that much. The stuff weighs a ton to actually carry around.

ETA: Interesting bit quoted from AJMDs other post about 3%

"...SIEGEL: Is there any evidence that being a super-owner is linked to increased gun violence, whether of suicide or homicide?

BECKETT: No, there's no evidence of that. It's not clear how much riskier it is to own 40 or 50 or 100 guns than it is just to own one or two. It's possible that group of people might be a lot safer..."
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Malamute wrote:...
Well said.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The thing is that some of them might wake up and switch their allegiance. California is a harbinger of what will come in other states and nationally if Democrats are in control.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Old Savage wrote:The thing is that some of them might wake up and switch their allegiance. California is a harbinger of what will come in other states and nationally if Democrats are in control.
If you mean liberal gun owners changing allegiance, perhaps. Or, at the least, be willing to stand up and say "Hey, those guys have a valid point about such-and-such" when the gun control ideas come up. That would give the legislature pause to consider that if their liberal constituents aren't in favor of every gun control idea they dream up isn't going to be a slam dunk.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A lot of Californians are knee jerk without much thought politically inclined. If the shooters switch allegiance that would make quite a difference. At what point do they wake up? Who know or will it ever happen?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

California has the same problems with poorly written gun laws being passed that many West Coast states have. The large populous along the I-5 corridor is liberal, and they vote for all this stuff! The rest of the rural areas are conservative, and mostly vote that way. But their numbers are not large enough to change the vote, and they get these laws shoved down their throat. Northern and Eastern California would love to secede from the state, but it takes a vote of the whole state to allow that, and the rest of the state wont ever allow them to leave!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"The large populous along the I-5 corridor is liberal, and they vote for all this stuff! The rest of the rural areas are conservative, and mostly vote that way. But their numbers are not large enough to change the vote, and they get these laws shoved down their throat."
--MarlinMan93

From the California Rifle and Pistol Association July/August 2016 edition of the “Firing Line”, Programs Report, pages 14-15:

"Misconception #1: We are outnumbered. FALSE!

“There are almost 25 million Californians registered to vote as of May 2016 according to the state. Only 72% or roughly 18 million are actually registered to vote (that’s 7 million who are not registered!) less than half of that number turn out for general elections which is roughly 9 million votes statewide. According to the Department of Justice, Bureau Insider, and other groups, the number of gun owners range from 8 million on the low side to 18 million on the high side. Most agree that at least 1/3 of the California households have one or more guns giving us a number of 13 million. That is 5 million more people than there are democrats which account for 45% of the eligible electorate. This means that if we vote as a block there is nothing we cannot accomplish. In other words, if we lose our rights, it will be because we did not fight as one.” (Bold added: RCN)

And from what I observed, this is true. I lived in California after being discharged from the now-defunct Oak Knoll Navy Hospital in 1968 to 2001. From what I observed and the gun owners that I know/knew, CA shooters just do not seem to care and/or vote and want the NRA and the Ca. Rifle & Postal Asso. to do it all for them without supporting or joining these organizations and all the while they sit back and complain.

For 'bout 18 years, I was regular at the now closed Castro Valley Gun Shop and was a Life member of the recently closed Chabot Gun Club. When the assault weapons ban was first introduced, the gun shop had post cards and pre-printed envelopes and letters protesting the bill that a shooter could fill out and mail. Very few did so. Most did not want to be on what they claimed was a "secret list" that the State was keeping of those who opposed the bill. Same thing when the second assault weapons was introduced. Cards were there with telephone numbers to call. The vast majority did not call because the State was "tracing" calls of those who were opposed. A large number just did not vote because they did not want to serve on jury duty. One time the gun shop owner and I had an idea to start up a round up fund like Midways for the California Rifle and Pistol Asso. We put about $15.00 in change in container. At the end of the week, there was $17.00 in the container. When the local range needed additional funds to sound-proof and cover the ranges or close, it was like pulling teeth from members. The donation containers at the sign and snack bar windows had very little. After a member donated a M1 for a raffle, with the proceeds to the building fund, did the membership take some interest and donations really picked up.

And the recently enacted I-594 legislation in Washington is another example. When you look at the actual numbers, it was passed by less than 30% of the total number of registered voters:

“Turnout...comparatively low for a mid-term election. In Washington, the county tallies totaled 2.12 million votes, or 54.16 percent of the ballots that were mailed out.

“The 2014 was the lowest turnout since the 52.5 percent in 1978.

“….In the end, Initiative 594, expanding background checks for gun purchases, passed by a landslide 59 percent (75 percent in King) … and the rival plan offered by gun-owner groups, I-591, failed 55-45….”

https://blogs.sos.wa.gov/FromOurCorner/ ... n-results/

As Pogo once said: "We have met the enemy and he is!"
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ray Newman wrote:"And that includes the controversial semi-automatic weapons used in the attacks in San Bernardino, California, in December -- 14 people killed -- or in Orlando, Florida, in June -- 49 victims -- or in Paris last November -- 130 dead.
Weren't the firearms used in Paris fully-auto?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old Savage wrote:California is a harbinger of what will come in other states and nationally if Democrats are in control.
Bingo!

The "rest of us" may be safe for a while, while the looney left does its thing in CA, but all things CA have a way of moving north and east... :roll: :evil:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

David wrote:The thing that p... all my friends off is the certified handgun list, they require ever model to be certified which apparently isn't cheap for the manufacture and some models therefore don't get done and are simply not available in CA.

I just heard that the brand-spanking new Ruger Mark IV .22LR semi-auto pistol is not available in CA or Massachusetts.

Just when you think laws could not possibly get more inane, they do!!!
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

Ray Newman

What you say is probably true, BUT it's also probably true of 90% of the states nation wide. I do believe more and more are voting liberal in this state. The sad part is during general elections, these dingalings will sit out a vote because they see that the media is already calling CA with 1-2% of the vote in. They start to feel like it's no use. I have a sister-in-law that I seriously believe will vote FOR gun laws every time, even though she is a republican. I wonder about her husband as well.

I feel a LOT of it is the stuff they are fed by the MEDIA. Just like the latest WA shooter, being hispanic. I told my wife, "I'll believe it when I see it after he is captured". Well I guess Spain has widened their borders to include Turkey, according to the media.

They have been told that taking away guns and restricting them, saves lives, and drug dealers are not violent criminals, so Obama lates them out of prison. The whole country is like a bad Sci-Fi movie.

People may not like Trump, but I head a real good quote the other day. I think it was Ted Cruze that said, I may not agree with some of the things Trump says and does, but I do not agree with ANYTHING Hillary says or does.

Saw this at a wood carving shop in Reedsport, OR the other day.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
David wrote:The thing that p... all my friends off is the certified handgun list, they require ever model to be certified which apparently isn't cheap for the manufacture and some models therefore don't get done and are simply not available in CA.

I just heard that the brand-spanking new Ruger Mark IV .22LR semi-auto pistol is not available in CA or Massachusetts.

Just when you think laws could not possibly get more inane, they do!!!
Anyone with any common sense can tell that new Ruger Mark IV is a weapon of terror! I can just see it being the favorite weapon of criminals and terrorists :roll: