WooHoo! (Almost)!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

WooHoo! (Almost)!!

Post by Griff »

Busy afternoon and evening... got the Lyman tang sight mounted on the '66 Centennial, and loaded 400 rounds of 45ACP and 200 rounds 45 Colt! The 'cans' are full again!

Everything fit except for those 30 rounds on the floor... and golly, I have 3 targets set up for doing the October pistol caliber Levergun shoot! I don't think I'll have time to do a range test on the .30-30 before I leave for Olympia!
Last edited by Griff on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: WooHoo!

Post by Old Savage »

Nice work there Griff.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I love that Winchester...… :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hrummmppphh! Handed the rifle to the boy... and what's the first thing he noticed... that I didn't... the sight didn't line up correctly... off several degrees to the left! I'd shot it before putting the tang sight on, so I knew the barrel sights were at least "close"...

So, I picked up some brass shim stock... and today went about "fixing" that crooked hole... The thinnest the store had was .016" and I thought that be too thick, but... what the heck, if you don't try, you won't know! Cut a length that fit under the left side (¼") wide, notched it to clear the screws and slipped it under the left side of the sight. WOOHOO! All over again! Sight is now perpendicular and lines up close enough to be able to drift the front if needed, I can see the post right thru the "U" notch in the barrel sight, still not quite centered... but close enough to be "minute of deer"! Can't seem to get a good picture looking thru the sights...
Too blurry!
Not much better
Too bright... but as good as I can get right now!
Guess I'm going to have to break out the Nikon film camera and take some use up some of that college education I got in photography!!! :lol: :lol:

One thing for sure... I either need to drift the front sight... or put a bit more straightness to the tang sight... Wanna go to the range and get 'er done... but don't wanna miss that all-important call back to work either... already been here 8 days longer than planned... Coulda dug out a couple of my ratty Winchesters for OS thread! :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: WooHoo! (Almost)!!

Post by Blaine »

(Slight Drift) When I put a Leupold Scout Scope on the GS Scout Rifle, I had go to nearly the end of the scope adjustment to get on at 100 yds.....
(A) It's a built in scope base, so...... :?: :?:
(B) If the base is off, will I be at POA at 200 if I'm on at 100?
(The factory ghost ring, and front were dead on at anything I shot)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bulldog
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bulldog »

Had the same problem with my 66 Centennial. I used a couple thinknesses of soda can for shimming mine to the left. I was hesitant to drill the tang, but now at least I'm not the only one with a buggered up commemorative. :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bulldog wrote:Had the same problem with my 66 Centennial. I used a couple thinknesses of soda can for shimming mine to the left. I was hesitant to drill the tang, but now at least I'm not the only one with a buggered up commemorative. :lol:
Nor are we the ONLY two!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy oh boy Griff I though my eyes went bad!
Gotta love that brass frame! I don't own a Winchester but if I was to buy one it would be a '66!
I wonder if all the frames are off from the factory...? Were the brass frames castings? Barrel Threads off center? All the machine work warp the frames? Guess without pulling a barrel and checking we'll never know.
Would it be possible to tweak the tang post so no shimming?
What a beauty!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff,
Save on the brass shim stock......not only is it a PITA to cut out, it does not have the "give" that needed for minor imperfections. For over 40 years I have been using good ole business cards (.011) or at most cardboard from used primer boxes (.032). You cut them 1/4" (at most) for width and for length, the length of the base. Cut out a little where the screw holes are. Leave 1/32 or at most 1/16 sticking out past the side of the base and run a black magic marker to cover up the color of the shim. On your case, use gold paint. Lacking gold paint, just heat up your wedding ring with an atetylene torch and rub it alongside the base of the sight.-------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Griff,
Save on the brass shim stock......not only is it a PITA to cut out, it does not have the "give" that needed for minor imperfections. For over 40 years I have been using good ole business cards (.011) or at most cardboard from used primer boxes (.032). You cut them 1/4" (at most) for width and for length, the length of the base. Cut out a little where the screw holes are. Leave 1/32 or at most 1/16 sticking out past the side of the base and run a black magic marker to cover up the color of the shim. On your case, use gold paint. Lacking gold paint, just heat up your wedding ring with an atetylene torch and rub it alongside the base of the sight.-------6
Mrs. Griff used to have some fantastic shears for cutting out patterns and cloth in varying thicknesses... :o until I needed some quick repair to some tin... they made short work of the tin; brass... was even less of a problem! :wink: And, since I have been known to shoot in rain, snow, sleet and other aberrant weather! And taking the sight off isn't in my list of everyday maintenance. 'Sides, brass on a brass plated frame won't corrode!
GunnyMack wrote:Boy oh boy Griff I though my eyes went bad!
Gotta love that brass frame! I don't own a Winchester but if I was to buy one it would be a '66!
I wonder if all the frames are off from the factory...? Were the brass frames castings? Barrel Threads off center? All the machine work warp the frames? Guess without pulling a barrel and checking we'll never know.
Would it be possible to tweak the tang post so no shimming?
What a beauty!!
Sorry about the pics... the digital versions have some limitations!
What? You don't own a Winchester? Surely you jest! :P
I actually don't care for the brass frame, but... the price was right! And these octagon barreled mdl 94 Commemoratives are pretty well known for their inherent accuracy. This is the 20" version, there is a more numerous 26" version. These are the standard receivers of the day, just brass plated. I don't recall when the dropped the front hole for a tang sight, but none of these are drilled for that front hole on the tang. It sure doesn't take much to get that hole just a little "tilted"... The setup to do these correctly is to completely disassemble the receiver, and jig 'em up in the drill press with the tang upside down... well... maybe not completely... but close enough. Then drill the upper tang from the bottom. I've never run into a warped mdl 94 receiver... I have seen one bent one... but that one took a combination of a boulder, a horse and a little "here-hold-my-beer" thinkin'! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Griff, I really didn't think those were solid brass, but the few mentions of tang sights being tweaked got my brain working and I was over thinking it.
Fine wire also works great for shimming, easier to work with as well.
Seriously, I do NOT own a Winchester of any flavor. Why? I dunno...
Seems like the majority are Remington's & Rugers... Mausers, Perazzi's oh and Hi Standards.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!