"Like New" Savage 99A in .250-3000, Initial Range Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

"Like New" Savage 99A in .250-3000, Initial Range Report

Post by Old No7 »

I recently asked a question here about the Lowest Scope Mounts & Rings for a Savage 99A (Click here for the older post) and the consensus was the Weaver mounts would be lowest and lightest, given that a Stith mount won't work on the "A" series.

Here's the initial range report for my Savage 99A in .250-3000 and a few more pictures...

First of all -- she shot great!!! :!:

I put 15 rounds down range and it only took 5 rounds to get her sighted in 1" high at 50 yards. The target frames were all "iced in" at 50, so I couldn't get them out to 100 yards today... So I'll fine-tune my hunting zero later. All is all, I was really pleased, as I was getting very tight dime-sized groups at 50 yards on 7X off the bench. (Load was Remington Core-lock 100 gr factory ammo.) I'll bet she'll do really well out at 100 or 150 yards, which I'll test between now and the next deer season. I didn't measure the trigger pull yet, but it seemed about 5 pounds and was fairly crisp.

Here she is with a low-mounted Leupold VX2 2-7X Duplex scope on it:
Savage 99A 250 01 (Small).JPG
I was originally thinking a gloss black scope would better complement the shiny finish of this early 80's Savage -- yeah, just try and find one! I wanted the Leupold brand and could have gotten the "Ultralight" model in gloss, but that costs much more and has a smaller objective bell and doesn't "look right" to my eye; and I also didn't want to put a "Rimfire" scope on it, and those also have the smaller objectives. This one in matte black will have to do for now:
Savage 99A 250 02 (Small).JPG
Even with the lowest Weaver scope mounts (Leupold's Rifleman series), you can see there's plenty of room for the scope and scope covers, with the Williams "Guide" ramped rear sight removed. My eye is perfectly lined up with the scope when mounting it, which is great and a major reason why I like my scopes mounted as low as possible:
Savage 99A 250 03 (Small).JPG
Other than a few small dings in the top rear of the buttstock, this 30+ year old Savage looks like it just came out of the factory last week. I think I did really well for just $625 delivered. As you can see, there is still some very nice case color on the lever:
Savage 99A 250 04 (Small).JPG
The only "problems" I have now are...

* The stock is a little bit light and sorta "orange" to me...

* And there's no checkering on this model...

Any thoughts on whether adding some checkering and a darker stain would "ruin" this piece, or should I plan to leave it as is?

Do these As have the "collectibility" of the older pre-war Savages?

Thanks for looking and any feedback. :wink:

Tight groups.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: "Like New" Savage 99A in .250-3000, Initial Range Report

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool! I love the .250 Savage, my dad has my grandfather's Model 70, late '40s vintage in .250-3000. What an incredibly accurate round it is. I've been eyeing the 99s for years.

I'll let the others comment on the stock work but I think I'd do it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Yeah 7, that wood is quite orange! But it matches front & rear, maybe look for replacement wood?
To strip it and refinish it is going to be labor, then of course you need to find the color you like. What does the barrel channel look like? Is it orange too? I'd start by stripping the barrel channel and try stain colors there.

As far as checkering, it's not as easy as some might think. Practice goes a long way!

It's a great looking rifle for sure!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

You can take an ounce of varnish (pick what will work with the current finish) and add a few drops of red or brown oil paint to tint the varnish. Same technique as Minwax PolyShades.
Pierre
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's a fabulous hunting partner. It's going to be a meat maker for sure.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

you made a fine choice all the way around!!
the gun you have is fairly rare, if it was me I wouldn't touch the wood, most of the newer 99A
fetch a better price than the older guns, that is my experience in this part of the world but
may differ in other locals

Brad
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IMHO, the stock looks just fine - my 1914 Model 1899H straight-grip is uncheckered too, and handles great !.

JMO, but I think checkering doesn't add any looks to Savage 1899/99 rifles - maybe because of the buttstock cheeks making checkering look puny.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Gorgeous! Leave it alone except for shooting it. Yours is obviously late enough to have the 1 in 10" twist since it stabilizes 100 grain bullets. The 99F I had only had 1 in 14" twist and would only stabilize the 87 grain bullet which it put into fingernail size groups at 100 yards. I doubt the carload of whitetail I killed with it ever knew the difference.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You're going to enjoy that 250 a bunch, No7. Here's a shot of my 250 which must be just about a twin to yours. Mine was wearing the 2x7 Leupold until I switched to the Weaver rings. I found that my baby needed more windage adjustment than the older Leupold posessed so I switched to the Burris 2x7 which had enough adjustment. If I did it again I'd use those Burris rings that have windage-compensation inserts.
250Sav7274.jpg
And here is the ammo I have been shooting:
250Sav7275.jpg
The cartridge on the left is the 100 grain Remington pushed by 10 grains of TrailBoss, about 1500 fps. Kid tested and approved: granddaughter says "this is my new favorite rifle" after bouncing tin cans with the TB load.
Middle cartridge is Lyman 257312, 90 grains gas-checked, with 9.7 grains of Green Dot for about 1800 fps. This is pretty much a warm 25/20 load but uses a larger case which is much easier to find on the ground than those dinky lil' 25/20's.
Right cartridge is the 90 grain Sierra hollow point ahead of 39 grains RL-7 for 2950 fps. I have an older 250 also with the 14" twist, and this load works for both rifles. It is about 50 fps slower in the older rifle even with the 24" barrel vs. the 20" if this 99A.
Definitely a major change in sighting between full power loads and the light loads, but they are sure fun to shoot. I didn't keep notes this time of the amount of change, though I usually do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks to all for the comments and views...

It might please all to know that I've decided not to add any checkering, and I'll keep the stock "as is" (but will see if I can steam out a couple of small dents).

Since this is a "levergun" crowd, I can safely say this acquisition of the 250 Savage Lever might just push my Winch Model 70 Swede (6.5x55mm) to the back of the safe -- or maybe to be sold off. (Might need the $$ to pay some bills anyhow...)

Not to wish my life away...

But I am really looking forward to the 2017 Maine Deer Season!

But then again, now with a 250 Savage in my stable, maybe I'll use her for coyote hunting this winter! :wink:

Tight groups.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Mossyoak1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mossyoak1957 »

Nice Savage you have there!

I love my 1915 1899 TD 250-3000
I have not had any problems with bullet stabilization with 100 gr. factory Remingtons,I know they will blow a brick into smithereens at 100 yards.....maybe just lucky I guess.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Jeeze... yours all look brand spankin' new compared to mine. :D

And this picture makes it look much nicer than it is. :lol:
Slow is just slow.