357 load question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

357 load question

Post by Bis »

I am going to try loading some Rem. 158 grain JSP with Win. 296 powder. They will be used in a Ruger GP 100 and my Marlin 1894.
My problem is since I am using 296 and from what I understand there is not much room to play with charge weights I need to know the min/max loads.
I have looked at the following loads from different manfactures.

Win. max 16.6 grains

Speer 13.2-14.7 grains

Sierra (rifle) 15.0-17.0 grains

Sierra (pistol) 15.9-17.3 grains

Nosler 13.8-14.8 grains

Any ideas?

Thanks
when your enemy is within range so are you
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

TOSS OUT THE LOWEST LOAD, TOSS OUT THE HIGHEST LOAD, AND AVERAGE THE REST TO KNOW WHERE TO START AND MAYBE WHERE TO END.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Since the high is 17.3 and the low is 13.2, I subtracted the 2 and came up with 4.1 and then divided by 2 = 2.05 then added that to the lowest for 15.25 grains. I figure that is not much above the lowest max and right in line with Sierra data. If I don't hear form anyone I will load a few and see how things go.

Does that seem like a reasonable way to figure this out?
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

When in doubt, use the powder manufacturers data. Also, follow their cautions. In this case it is to not reduce more than 3% from maximun. That makes minimum 16.1 gr. and maximum 16.6 gr.
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

I agree the the powder manufacture probably knows best, it just seems strange that the min load from Win. is 1.4 grains higher than the max load from Speer.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Bis-The bullets have slightly different bearing surface tapers and diameters among manufactures.Also the difference in seating depth and crimp groove are not the same for the different bullets. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Cast Bullet Huntyer beat me to it! Winchester is VERY specific about charge weights for 296. This is my "Go-To" powder for magnum handgun loads and I use it just like the manual says. It has always given me high velocity and sterling accuracy, it's a hard one to beat!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

Maybe I should write Winchester and ask them what they suggest since the data is for a 158 grain HDY Xtp and I am using a Rem. 158 grain JSP.