Are Lyman and Williams apertures interchangeable?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Are Lyman and Williams apertures interchangeable?

Post by RSY »

Same diameter? Thread count/pitch?

Scott
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Are Lyman and Williams apertures interchangeable?

Post by Griff »

Good question! I don't know the answer, but... I have a bunch of peep inserts that I've picked up over the years from various sources... have no clue to some of their pedigrees, but they all interchange.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I have both Lyman and Williams and they do interchange to a point. the threads are the same, but the length if the threaded areas vary, so some fit better than others.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Thanks, gents.
J Miller wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:39 am I have both Lyman and Williams and they do interchange to a point. the threads are the same, but the length if the threaded areas vary, so some fit better than others.
So you're not referring to the Williams models with the finished "long shank", but the actual threaded portion?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

RSY wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:50 am Thanks, gents.
J Miller wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:39 am I have both Lyman and Williams and they do interchange to a point. the threads are the same, but the length if the threaded areas vary, so some fit better than others.
So you're not referring to the Williams models with the finished "long shank", but the actual threaded portion?
I have a couple long shank apertures that are both about half threaded. They will fit both the Lyman and Williams sights I have. They don't tread all the way into one of the sights, I think the Lyman, but will work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

J Miller wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:39 am
I have both Lyman and Williams and they do interchange to a point.

the threads are the same, but the length if the threaded areas vary, so some fit better than others.

Some peep sights, like the Williams WGRS, are issued with apertures that have a much longer shank, threaded only on the end, so as to clear the sight body - and I've found that the "normal" apertures with the shorter threaded body cannot be used on the WGRS because the larger/outer rim of the aperture doesn't allow the threaded portion to reach & engage the internal threads of the aperture bar.

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Lyman and Williams both use 7/32x40 thread. Most everybody used that size.

I could easily be wrong, but I think the Marble's sights used 10x32.

Ten by thirty two is National Fine today. Good luck finding a tap and die for the x40 though.

Cat
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Catshooter wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:08 pm Lyman and Williams both use 7/32x40 thread. Most everybody used that size.

I could easily be wrong, but I think the Marble's sights used 10x32.

Ten by thirty two is National Fine today. Good luck finding a tap and die for the x40 though.

Cat
I believe the Marbles is a much finer thread than 32. I think the 10 part is right, but think they're 10-40, not 10-32?
edit-Just checked Nick Strobel's sight book and the Marbles did indeed use 10-40 thread for apertures.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/