Texas Hog Shot taken with 1886 (GRAPHIC)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Coloradoyaler
Levergunner

Texas Hog Shot taken with 1886 (GRAPHIC)

Post by Coloradoyaler »

This is a hog I shot at 100yds with my 1886. A 350gr Horn FP @ 2400fps. The hog was quartering to me. The shot hit the lower right shoulder went on through and came out in front of the opposite hind quarter. It did quite a bit of damage!

505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

beautiful rifle and great hog!!! I know this sounds dumb but can you eat those wild hogs? I have heard yeah but htey taste awful.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The only time they aren't good is when the meat isn't properly cared for. A boar will also take some extra care. If you want it for meat always shoot a sow if given the choice.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Coloradoyaler,

Nice pig, really nice 1886. I'm interested in the sling you have on it in the second pic. Can you give me some info on it, like where I might get one?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yep, thats what they call knocking the snot out of them! Good shot, smart gun and thanks.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

A classic for sure! And the load?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Great looking rifle rig! I'd also like to know where you came across that sling....
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Very nice! +3 on "what sling"...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Pig Guts and Hairy Hide Don't Taste Good

Post by Idiot »

505stevec wrote:beautiful rifle and great hog!!! I know this sounds dumb but can you eat those wild hogs? I have heard yeah but htey taste awful.
You see that reddish brown stuff hanging out of its chest just behind the front leg, and on the ground a tad further back, on the second picture? If you eat that wrapped in haired hide; then it's awful. Otherwise, just add salt and cook 'er slow for a long time and its not awful at all.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Looks like a .458 caliber flat point at 2,400 fps might be a bit hard on the meat.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Very nice 1886 and good shooting!
Enjoy the pork!
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

That's some really purdy wood.
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Coloradoyaler
Levergunner

Post by Coloradoyaler »

Thanks all for the kind words!!

The sling is actually made for muzzle loaders and carried by Cabelas. However, when I called Cabelas they were backorder so I found it at Dixie Gun Works. I had to shorten it a bit but it works great and I don't need swivels!

Thanks again!
Mark
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Coloradoyaler wrote: The sling is actually made for muzzle loaders and carried by Cabelas. However, when I called Cabelas they were backorder so I found it at Dixie Gun Works. I had to shorten it a bit but it works great and I don't need swivels!
Mark
Thanks!
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

505stevec wrote:beautiful rifle and great hog!!! I know this sounds dumb but can you eat those wild hogs? I have heard yeah but htey taste awful.
Lots of people don't eat them, or think you can't. My cousin has shot 10 or so of them over the last couple years, and I've eaten some of almost all of them. I've never had one that tasted bad, and he's shot a couple of pretty big boars. I think it's all in the care and prep of the meat. My uncle cured some hams, and I've had the ribs, and all of it was pretty durn good if'n I do say so myself.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

looks like a brown bear crusher load to me. load it down and get more meat :lol: nice shooting. love the sling also.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nice shot!

Yeah, maybe a little overkill but I shot one and it ran off - was raining and I couldn't track it - never found the booger. Hate that. Would rather have it drop on the spot.

Good job and yeah - nice 86.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I have a bunch of those 350gr Hornady's loaded up for elk season this year. I'm hoping to get 2200 from the GS. 2400 is a nice flat shooting velocity for those, I'm impressed. I'm also impressed by the damage. Did you recover the bullet? I'd be curious to know how it held up.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Done Almost Perfect

Post by Idiot »

Coloradoyaler, you done almost perfect. No overkill in any shape or form.

Let's review: you entered the brush after pig with an adequate cartridge and sensible load; you found and shot the pig aiming for the heart; the bullet found the pump (and a lot of other stuff on the way out); and, the pig dropped dead. I can't find any overkill there.

The trick is to get a cartridge that will not only accomplish what your's did, but finish gutting the thing out as well. Hint, you are almost there - just short of perfect.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Texas Hog Shot taken with 1886 (GRAPHIC)

Post by scr83jp »

Coloradoyaler wrote:This is a hog I shot at 100yds with my 1886. A 350gr Horn FP @ 2400fps. The hog was quartering to me. The shot hit the lower right shoulder went on through and came out in front of the opposite hind quarter. It did quite a bit of damage!

Beautiful rifle and a nice looking pig.
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

The Genus and Species of the domestic pig and it's wild cousin is the same Sus Scrofa! A domestic pig will 'go wild 'quickly as it's teeth will grow like the wild ones when they're not trimmed & they will forage for food surviving easily.
Coloradoyaler
Levergunner

Post by Coloradoyaler »

This my Nilgai I shot on the same hunt as the hog!
He was shot with a 375 Ruger, 270gr @ 2700fps.

Incidently, the hog ran about 50yds with all that damage! Thay take a pounding!!
Curiousgb
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Curiousgb »

Great Looking rifle. I am also interesting in the sling.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

well done, beautiful rifle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

J Miller wrote:Coloradoyaler,

Nice pig, really nice 1886. I'm interested in the sling you have on it in the second pic. Can you give me some info on it, like where I might get one?

Joe
Joe, Here's the link to the manufacture of the sling

http://www.blackpowderbags.com/
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Only one thing better than seeing a levergun! Thats seeing the game that was taken by the levergun!!!

Nice Gun and Hog!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Beautiful rifle and nice hog. :D thanks for posting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Mine is for a BP too, but it works fine. I got it at Cabelas.

"That'll Be The Day"