Morel Mushroom and Grandaughter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

Morel Mushroom and Grandaughter

Post by joachim slim »

for a few yrs now i havent been able to get out in the woods to look for morels. i cant walk well (use a cane) and im afraid of falling down. this afternoon i had taken some lawn waste to the back corner of my yard and was dumping it. i looked down and to my wonderful surprise was a large morel. it was about the size of a softball and about 8" tall. i thought to myself that will go just right with some eggs for dinner tonight. i was really happy about finding it and called my 6 1/2 yr od grand daughter over to see it. i started to bestow my grandfatherly knowledge on her. i started telling her how they good they were and that these were the only ones i ate. before i could react she jumps over, kicks the mushroom across the alley then tells me "pawpaw!...you know you arent supposed eat the mushrooms in the yd". needless to say i was dumbfounded and didnt know what to say. :shock: after a bit all i could say was your right baby girl. stay away from them.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

And I know that all the rest of the day you just saw that big thing in a skillet of butter simmering along.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Yep, gotta be carefull what we teach em :D :D
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
HORACE
Levergunner

Post by HORACE »

Sorry for my ignorance, but what the hell is a 'morel' - I'm from Australia and I've never heard of this. I'd like to understand though.
Horace
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Horace it's mighty tasty mushroom. www.thegreatmoral.com

Great story , I have a few weeks before they start popping around here. I like mine fried in butter with fresh trout. :D
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Good tasting mushroom. This was a good year in Oklahoma for them. I did really well hunting them.

MOREL LINK

:D
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

morel

Post by joachim slim »

it is a tasty wild mushroom. i decided i wanted some so bad i would buy a few. then i was told they were $50 a pound. im still doing without :P
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

My wife's family and my Dad are from Iowa and we lived there for a time.

Can't tell you how much I enjoy the annual package from my Dad in law - he goes out and hunts em every year.

We clean and halve them, dust with some flour, add some salt, pepper and a little onion powder and saute in butter. OMG, they are awsome.

We also used to eat goatsbeard mushrooms - they are very good in eggs.

And here's a pic I found of a guy with some morrels:

NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

There is a mushroom that grows in the forests of northern california where we've hunted for years called the Ink Cap(Coprinopsis atramentaria) that is edible but has poisonus principals if it's consumed with alcohol or for anyone who drinks any alcohol for 3 days after eating them.It's not fatal but one gets really sick.We all referred to them as the antibuse mushrooms and warned everyone to abstain from all alcohol for a few days.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Whoa man! She was trying to save your life! You must be getting senile thinking you can eat a mushroom you find growing in the yard!

Seriously though it might be a blessing that she doesn't get it yet so she doesn't tell other kids it's OK to eat mushrooms or eat a random one herself.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

At 6 1/2 she's old enough to learn what's good and what's not. Next one you see, make sure she's nowhere around as you go for it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Here is link to http://morelmushroomhunting.com/.Not only just Morels but other shrooms too.DAVID W. FISCHER's American Mushrooms is a excellent website http://americanmushrooms.com/ :wink:
Last edited by Jaguarundi on Fri May 02, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

The wife and I just got came back a little while ago from a 2 hour woods trek looking for morels....not a single one they seem to be very elusive to us, but other people we know are finding them by the hundreds. :cry:
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Every time I go woodswalking for Morels, & pass a tree, I can glimpse out of the corner of my eye those little buggers peekin at me from the other side of it & gigglin & fartin to themselves. As soon as I whip around & look directly at em,..........boom, they disappear! I swear! jd45
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jd45 wrote:Every time I go woodswalking for Morels, & pass a tree, I can glimpse out of the corner of my eye those little buggers peekin at me from the other side of it & gigglin & fartin to themselves. As soon as I whip around & look directly at em,..........boom, they disappear! I swear! jd45
jd45, those are just the leprechauns, or Sidhe. If they were Cluricauns they would be drinking all of your whiskey. Just watch out for the fear dergh. They can be a little mean. :wink: :wink:
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

pillar, thanx for the heads-up! Do I need to refer to a Gaelic dictionary for these words I'm not familiar with? Now I'm wonderin what else I might see peekin out from a tree at me the next time I go woodswalkin! Just kiddin, jd45
Mokwaw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mokwaw »

Has anyone tried the thing called Drysdad saddle..??? They're are those big lobe fungus that grow from sides of trees. I brought a couple of fresh ones in from my last trek...from info I find on the net says they are edible but opinions run from "very tasty" to "not worth the effort". I have them cleaned and sliced but am hesitant to try them.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Mokwaw,

Better safe than sorry.

Go to a mushroom or morel site and ask there. Be sure or don't eat.

Don McCullough