45-70 guide gun capabililties ( Your Comments_

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

There we go thinking alike again Frank...
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Grizz wrote:There we go thinking alike again Frank...
I don't mind being in good company :lol: After reading your post I will add, I'm using a 560gr borerider and I have it set out pretty far, I can't recall the COL, but it's pretty far over spec, and I dont have any cycling problems whatsoever. In fact, I can cycle an even longer round and eject the fired case, but it wont eject an unfired case. I have someday plans of porting it and working on the lifter a little. Of course I dont know why, I'm pushing that 560 to 1550. I admit I'm interested in hitting 1800 with it. :shock: :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tennessee Hayre »

Thanks guys, I can load the rifle up without firing, and then cycle all of the rounds out no problem. It only happens after i let one go down range. I have looked inside with a flashlight can't see any problem. I think it is strange federals 300 grain works fine. The same thing happened when i used Hornady's 325 grain
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Defender Second Amendment
Constitution Party Member
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

One other thing,, I fired the Hornady 325 grain first. Fired 20 rounds and that ammo really dirtied up the gun. I started having problems after the first 5th or 6th round. Next time i will fire the Hammerheads first and see what happens. When i tried hard i got good groups with the Hornady stuff and really like the ammo but it does fire dirty.
The Ultimate Authority resides in the people and that if the Federal Goverment got too powerful and over stepped it's authority then the people would develope plans of resistance and resort to arms" _____________________________________James Madison_______

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Are the 325s and the 300s the same length?

Do you keep the rifle on your shoulder in firing position while cycling it?

Powder residue should not affect the action for the first thirty years should it?

Is the mag follower possibly hanging up?

How many rounds thru the gun, is it broken in?

Grizz
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

The 300 gain and the 325's appear to be the same length, I bring the rifle down to rechamber when on the range. I have loaded and unloaded the rifle several times here at home with 540 Hammerheads, 300 grainers,and 325's and have no problem. The gun was purchased used but is in good condition. Looks almost new.I have had the rifle for most of 2 years. I have always used Federal 300 grain SP. It has always worked fine. The recoil from the heavy grain bullets when fired I think may have some kind of effect on the feeder. Maybe do to slack or maybe just worn abit. It throws the empty case out just fine but the nose of the next round is always stuck inside the magazine locking up the weapon with lever in the down position.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 45-70 guide gun capabililties ( Your Comments_

Post by scr83jp »

Tennessee Hayre wrote:First I would like to say hello to all of the users of this forum. This is my first post. I have just recently joined as of last night. I have checked out the other sites on the web for some time and I don't usually have alot to say. But since I am a Lever action kind of guy, I have always felt out numbered on the other sites. No matter what kind of advise you try and give some new comer to the Leveraction rifle there are always a large amount of unexperienced folks shooting you down. It is like talking to a drunk person. I have owned and have hunted with a lever action rifle for over 31 years, and have in the last 3 years purchased and have hunted with a 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun. I would like to start a new thread on the capabilities of the 45-70 using Garrett hammerhead ammo.
Just go to the Garrett site & read about Vince Lupos hunts in Africa using garrett ammo on hippo, elephant,cape buffalo,lion,leopard using a Brockman modified Marlin 45-70. www.garrettcartridges.com
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Thats Scr83jp, Ive read that article. It was a good one. I would expect in the coming years there will be more hunters doing this. I can't remember what site it was i was viewing but one hunter said using a 45-70 to hunt large dangerous game was a stunt. I had to smile when i read that. It was just one of many statements like that i have read in the gun forums. I think one should give credit where credit is due. Goes back to what i said before, keep an open mind and don't get stuck on one rifle.

Retired Military
Life Member NRA
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

The recoil from the heavy grain bullets when fired I think may have some kind of effect on the feeder. Maybe do to slack or maybe just worn abit. It throws the empty case out just fine but the nose of the next round is always stuck inside the magazine locking up the weapon with lever in the down position.
Recoil should not affect the action. Pointing the muzzle down will of course make it difficult for the bullet to travel UP to the cartridge stop and stay there.

Plus there seems to be a timing issue, because the lifter should not lift before the round clears the chamber.

Can you push the lifter back down IF you move the lever full open after the cartridge gets stuck, to free it?

The Garrett cartridges are not heavy recoiling.

You could try putting a plug in the magazine to compress the spring harder. Maybe that would take care of it.

Try keeping the gun horizontal next time you're firing it, not lowering the muzzle, and see if it changes anything.

Regards,

Grizz
Montanan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Montanan »

sore shoulder wrote:
Gryphon Black wrote: Unless it was a Quigley sharps!
Oh, that's right, his was a 45-110! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gryphon
I believe it was a 45-120. :lol:
Nope, Shiloh Sharps made the rifle for the movie and it was and is a 45-110 :roll:
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Montanan wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
Gryphon Black wrote: Unless it was a Quigley sharps!
Oh, that's right, his was a 45-110! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gryphon
I believe it was a 45-120. :lol:
Nope, Shiloh Sharps made the rifle for the movie and it was and is a 45-110 :roll:
I'll have to watch the movie again, for the 100th time or so, I'm pretty sure in the movie he says it's a 120gr cartridge. My wife likes to roll her eyes like that a lot too.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

"I can't remember what site it was i was viewing but one hunter said using a 45-70 to hunt large dangerous game was a stunt."

You can certainly have that discusion at the accurate reloading forum any time you want. I think the negative view makes sense if you are:

- Talking about stopping not just "hunting" dangerous game;
- Talking about the really large species, like elephant;
- And keeping within the traditions of the sport. It's a traditional crowd they are interested in what works not what plays. If they had control of Tarpon fishing in the keys people wouldn't be landing near 100 pound tarpon on flyrods with 6LB line, they would presumably just be trolling with wire. It's a blue collar kind of thing: A guy clean toilets for living, you don't want twinkle toes from Greenpeace coming in to tell you you should use backing soda to scrub them, you got a job to do!
miestro_jerry
Levergunner

Post by miestro_jerry »

I have taken two Coyotes with my Marlin 1895 in 45-70. I used a RD 460-350 gr RF cast bullets on both of them. I want a good hit to be fatal with these critters. So this is one of my ideal rifles and cartridges for 'yote hunting.

I know this cartridge and rifle can be used for elk, bear and whatever big game, but I don't have those around here to hunt normally and coyote season is year round. Since January, I have taken 14 'yotes.

Jerry
Always lookin' to learn
Always ready to teach

NRA Patron Member
Tennessee Hayre
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks Grizz, On my next trip to the range I'll give it a try. I like the idea of placing a plug in the mag, as well as pointing the rifle skyward to reload as well. As I stated in one of my post, I first thought my magazine spring may be on the weak side. The gun looks like new but if the previous owner kept the rifle loaded with a full load for a few years in the closet or what have you it could have damaged the mag spring. Just a guess!! I'm sure i'll figure it out....

Retired Military
Life Member NRA