Mossberg lever gun in .30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
piller
Posting leader...

Mossberg lever gun in .30-30

Post by piller »

I just read about the new Mossberg lever action in .30-30. Anyone else heard of it yet? What do you think? It looks pretty good, and I kinda would like to try one out.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Thanks.
D. Brian Casady
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hear of them a lot, read about them some, but haven't seen one yet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

B&S guns in Garland, TX. had one about two weeks ago when I stopped there. It looked like a nice rifle, I think they were asking full retail price for it. They tried to give me the hard sale about being the first person to get one and how if it stayed on the shelf another day one of them (employees) was going to buy it. I felt like I was at a used car lot.
Ricky

DWWC
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Here's a forum link to LFCombs new mossberg(pictures)http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... t=mossberg :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

RKrodle wrote:B&S guns in Garland, TX. had one about two weeks ago when I stopped there. It looked like a nice rifle, I think they were asking full retail price for it. They tried to give me the hard sale about being the first person to get one and how if it stayed on the shelf another day one of them (employees) was going to buy it. I felt like I was at a used car lot.
I stopped by there on my way home from Texarkana last week. I was NOT impressed.

Praco Guns in Waco has several of the Mossberg 30-30s, looks like a real thing to me.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ursavus.elemensis »

I'm thinking about getting one of these rifles. Can you tell me what you did NOT like about it?
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
-The Declaration of Independence
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

I liked the one I handled but, because of the salesman I didn't stay and check it out really close. It felt to me like a Win94 and looks similar also. It was a nice rifle and I may get one someday. I didn't really see anything that I didn't like.
Ricky

DWWC
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:I'm thinking about getting one of these rifles. Can you tell me what you did NOT like about it?
John Taffin just finished testing one of these. He recently sent the article to "GUNS" so it may not be on the stands for a few months. He said it shot well and in design is closer to the Winchester 94 than anything else.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have in the last 38 years owned several Mossberg guns. none were "state of the art" or fancy in any way. They all worked when they were asked and did the task designed for,without any big fanfare.
I would think that this rifle fit's the bill exactly. I wouldn't expect this gun to be a pre-64 Win, but then if I drop it in the mud who cares? like the model 500 shotguns I have owned I bet it will work when need be. Jim.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

If a Winchester 94 is comparable to an 870 Wingmaster.

And a Win 94 ranger is comparable to an 870 express.

The mossberg 30-30 is comparable to a hardwood stocked Mossberg or Maverick pump shotgun. Functional, but not much "pride in ownership".
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

I've read several places/people who say that this rifle will have a hardwood stock, and the way it is said leads me to think that maybe that's something bad...? I'm no expert on gun wood, so can someone enlighten me as to the ins and outs of rifle stock wood and why a hardwood stock might be a disappointment? I am not going to sleep with my head on the stock, just going to shoot the rifle. Do other rifles have softwood stocks and does it absorb the recoil bang somewhat? Enlighten me, enlighten me...please
"A Prince, whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people"
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

"Functional, but not much "pride in ownership".

???, What does it take to have such pride?
Shiny parts?, Goes bang when you pull the trigger?, You can afford it?

I bet this gun does and has all that, so aside from ego, does it take a Winchester 94?
Cause if it does, all the 94's I've handled since the 70's, felt, and sounded like they were made of mis-matched parts, and assembled by bored ex baggage handlers.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

To each his own.
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

id buy one if it is priced right
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Warhawk wrote:If a Winchester 94 is comparable to an 870 Wingmaster.

And a Win 94 ranger is comparable to an 870 express.

The mossberg 30-30 is comparable to a hardwood stocked Mossberg or Maverick pump shotgun. Functional, but not much "pride in ownership".
I am thinking this Mossberg might be exactly what I want. I have several pre-1951 Winchester model 94's. While some may laugh off my collecting interest, I prefer the model 94's from about serial number 1,200,xxx through about 1,600,xxx, particularly if they've got a flat barrel band (again, some folks scoff at the flat band as a cheap, quickly made wartime substitute for a genuine part that was in short supply -- but I like them). But one thing I will not do my model 94's is to put a scope on them, and that means that I basically can't shoot them because my vision is such that iron sights are useless to me. So, with this Mossberg I'd be getting a really nice, reliable, smooth functioning .30 WCF lever rifle that not only do I not mind putting a scope on, but it is designed with features that practically beg for the owner to do just that. I think this rifle sounds perfect for me. To each his own, right?
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

ursavus.elemensis, I say go for it. It sounds like what you are looking for.
Ricky

DWWC
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

wow, the 94 and the 870 in the same line. that's 99% of all the guns you will ever need. 8) 8)
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Mr. ursavus.elemensis, since no one else appears to have answered your question, I'll take a shot. When a manufacture refers to a gun having a hardwood stock they are referring to a hardwood other than walnut such as birch, which most enthusiasts would consider an inferior wood, at least aesthetically speaking. Birch is still a serviceable wood, just not as good looking as a fine grade of walnut. Some of the walnut stocks out there aren't much better looking than a straight grained birch. A softwood refers to wood coming from a conifer.
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

The stock is birch. Birch is a hardwood, as noted. Birch is a LIGHT colored wood with less grain, typically, and has to be stained to look like walnut.
It's perfectly functional, has been used for military rifles, and it just doesn't look as nice as a walnut stock. It may also scratch or chip "white" if banged around, where a walnut stock would stay darker.
It's used by Mossberg to keep costs down on this rifle.
Denis
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This is the Mossberg 464. I handled one recently and it seemed well made and with features of both Marlin and Winchester. No crime in that. This one had a price tag of $425. which seems excessive to me at least.

I hunt with an older Glenfield 30-30 that has a beech stock. It holds its zero year after year despite the tough weather we get across Dakota Territory.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I've seen some plain straight (ugly) grained walnut, and I've seen some beautiful grain on lesser "hardwood" stocks, I'll take a nicely figured "hardwood" over plain jane walnut any day.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

like to see it chambered in .308 marlin. chamber it in 45-70, and i'll sell blood to get one :D
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It's all about price point. I can get a hardwood Marlin cheaper than the Mossberg. I picked one up and it was what I expected. I thought it was put together well. It had arebounding hammer. But not a sloppy trigger like the latest Win 94's. But the shop wanted $400 for it when it should be in the $350 range in my opinion. But I think it look beefy enough to handle higher pressure rounds like the 308MX.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

ursavus.elemensis wrote:I am not going to sleep with my head on the stock, just going to shoot the rifle.
That is one of the most practical comments I've ever heard anyone make about guns. I agree. I want my stocks to be functional, and not warp or crack. Synthetic is fine, even. Sure, look reasonably 'pretty' when possible, but I mostly care about function in a 'Shooter.'

A 'Safe Queen' may need all the shiny look and ornamentation, but to me, a gun I can take pride in will have a functional stock, which someone (maybe me) has done their best to make look reasonably good, but in the process of shooting that gun, has dinged up a bit, most likely.

Kind of like the aesthetic difference between a just-waxed Corvette, and a mudded-up 4wd pickup. I may ogle the Corvette, but I'll want to HAVE the truck... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

allen1980 wrote:id buy one if it is priced right
Mossberg's MSRP is $473. I saw on castboolits that the dealer's price is $314.95.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I saw one NIB recently sell on Gunbroker for $279.99 which I think is more than fair.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Being a Marlin fan, I'm really wanting to NOT like the Mossy. However I am a huge fan of Mossy shotguns and think they are by far the best pump action shotty. And that Mossy lever action just seems like it's made for 45-70. I have yet to add a 30-30 to the safe, but the space was always reserved for that $200 pre-safety 336 I haven't found yet. Any gunsmiths doing a 45-70 conversion yet? :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I like mine. I am going to scope it as soon as I can get the mounts. I hope they bring this model out in other calibers. It is strong enough to handle some good cartridges. I did an article, and GunBlast.com is going to use it soon.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

I saw one at Gibsons this morning.
It looked like a Win., angle eject, tang safety.
I wasn't impressed, but I have Win. & Marlins in 30-30, but all in all it isn't a bad looking gun.

Maybe sombody will buy one and offer a range report.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

L.F.Combs wrote:I like mine. I am going to scope it as soon as I can get the mounts. I hope they bring this model out in other calibers. It is strong enough to handle some good cartridges. I did an article, and GunBlast.com is going to use it soon.
how was the trigger?
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

The trigger is better than the 94's, and similar to the Marlin, but it is still not perfect. I have no problems with it, but you can not compare it to a good bolt gun trigger. For a good simple leveraction it is good.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Shooting Times has an article & review on the piece by Dick Metcalf. I do not subscribe to the times rag but picked this up because of the front cover pix of the piece, the article inside and also because of this thread.

Dick give it a very good review. The one thing that caught my attention is he stated that the action is very strong, bolt , lock -up, etc. He is of the opinion that this will be a platform for other Calibers to come.

No if they brought out one in .308W. I would buy it. :wink:

This is in the June issue of the Shooting Times.

Also a nice review of the Handi-Rifle.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
allen1980

Post by allen1980 »

sounds good.i wouldnt think mossberg would put out the money and the effort to produce no good.i hope they can do good with this new line of levers.
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

I just can't help myself. I have to get one of these rifles!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ursavus, you want to scope one? Shooting Times says the scope bases are the Weaver #403 for both front and rear.
D. Brian Casady
ursavus.elemensis
Levergunner 2.0

Thanks, I can see this rifle becoming a scoped part of my collection soon. Very soon.
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

The way the bolt lock up, and from what I have seen with my handloads this gun can handle some pressure. I would like to see what a trapper version in some powerhouse pistol calibers would do. I am going to scope mine soon.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Well, I am surprized! The little Mossy looks much better than I thought it would. Thanks for putting up the pics LF Combs.

It also appears to be a well designed, and very strong action. It will be interesting to see if they will put it out in other calibers. I'm not sure about 45-70 in a rifle this light, however. That might just kill at both ends! :lol:

By the by, and in the rumor control category: A good friend of mine has a son who works in marketing for Mossberg. He has taken him to a couple of CAS matches to talk equipment, and has been pitching the idea of lever actions to him. Could just be coincidence, but I have an idea we may be seeing some more surprises from Mossberg.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I would love to see one of these in .475, .500 S&W. If Mossberg is smart they will expand on this line. A nice sheckered stock model would be nice. I was told recently that Mossberg will be releasing a scoped combo deal.
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

I saw one today. I stopped at a local dealer's shop to ask about the powder funnel that never gets delivered, and I saw that he had two Winchester 94s on the rack. One is a pre-War edition, and the other one is actually a new Mossberg. The Mossberg looks that much like a 94. :roll: The action feels the same as a newer 94, too. I did not ask what he wanted for the rifle, but it does have a total of 5 rounds through it. You see, a customer wanted this Mossberg, by all means, then did not like the sights! Lee bought it back from him. It looks brand-new. Another customer looked at it, too. He thought it was too heavy.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage