OT - Old Movies and computers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT - Old Movies and computers

Post by J Miller »

A couple years ago my wife had a new computer tower built. All the bells and whistles including a CD reader/burner DVD player with an upgraded video card.

OK, so what do I do ...... I watch all my John Wayne movies on this computer. Ohhhhh how clear and crisp they are. I can see details on this monitor that I simply can't see watching them on the television. Could be because I'm sitting closer within my visual range and not across the room too.

Anyway I watched John Wayne's Stagecoach yesterday on the computer.
Soooo clear. When the Duke was in the coach you could actually see him sweat.
And towards the end of the movie when the Apaches were chasing the coach there is a scene where one of the Indians is riding and shooting his trapdoor Springfield carbine at the same time.
Now that's not much really, but this Indian was riding with the horse at full run, shooting the trapdoor with both hands, and then while still at full run flipped the trap door open, ejecting the fired round, reloaded a fresh round and fired again. All in one continuous take with no editing. That one scene alone is worth watching the movie again.

So those of you with DVD capable computers, give it a try. You just might be surprised at what you see.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Joe,
The first DVD I ever watched was when I got this new computer. It's a dell w/ the 20" flatscreen. The first movie I watched was "The Shootist" that I checked out from the local library. The picture was so crisp I could see the pin stripes on Harry Morgan's suit. They are cool aren't they.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
TomD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TomD »

This does raise a question, should one at least for private viewing be watching stuff on TVs across the room. There are reasons for the projection format of the theater, but is a 20" screen at a few feet a better deal? There were theoretical X-ray reasons for not sitting too close to the TV when it was a cathode ray unit, but that falls away with a LCD, why is it any different than a book? I don't insist on those being 8'x5' on a wall across the room.