BLR Takedown - What would Jeff Cooper say?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

BLR Takedown - What would Jeff Cooper say?

Post by 71fan »

I have been contemplating the new BLR lightweight takedowns. For a few reasons I have delayed a purchase - I am waiting to see if a composite stock version comes out, and I am waiting for answers regarding the viability of a two-barrel set straight from Browning.

That aside, this rifle is very close to what Jeff Cooper considered the perfect rifle, excepting the obvious fact that it is a levergun rather than a bolt. Cooper's scout concept includes the following:
Max length: 1 m (39.5 in)
Optimum wt, with sling and scope, unloaded: 3 kg (6.6 lbs)
Max weight: 3.5 kg (7.7 lbs)
Max barrel length: 19 in
Composite stock and forward mounted scope
Detachable magazine or stripper fed
Shoots under 4" at 200 yards

So, looking at the new BLRs, they come darn close to this. In fact, they are only off by 1/2 inch on OAL, the action, and the wood stock. But as a bonus, it is a takedown, of course. As we all know, the leveraction is faster than a bolt gun for repeat shots in the right hands.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=011

It seems coincidental and interesting that Browning has come up with these dimesions and weights, and is pushing a scout mounted scope.
So, I wonder what Cooper would say about a 308 pistol grip takedown 308 - does it pass the test?

Anyway, I want one. I will get one eventually. But I absolutely want at least two barrels, maybe three. 308, 358, and maybe a heavy-barrel 22-250 or 243.
Chad
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Based upon a lengthy personal correspondence regarding Scout rifles with Col. Cooper, he'd describe it as "Scout-like, but not a Scout." The length discrepancy and the wood, believe me, would be enough. He was a lovable but precise and stubborn son-of-a-gun! :)
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Pisgah wrote:Based upon a lengthy personal correspondence regarding Scout rifles with Col. Cooper, he'd describe it as "Scout-like, but not a Scout." The length discrepancy and the wood, believe me, would be enough. He was a lovable but precise and stubborn son-of-a-gun! :)
So it would be a "Pseudo-scout rifle"
I forgot about the ghost ring sight - that is a deficiency as well.

So if it came with a synthetic stock, and an inch was cut off the barrel, then a ghost-ring rear sight, are we there?
Chad
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Yes I believe after mods your rifle would meet criteria. 8)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Don't hold your breath waiting for any synthetic furniture on the BLR. Browning's not really pushing it for the serious Scout crowd & I doubt you'll see any synthetic furniture on the things. It's possible, but unlikely.
I have the takedown in .308 with a Burris waiting to go on it here, and in dealing with one of their reps at the head office, he didn't even know the catalog had a "Scout" Model in it.
It's something of an afterthought & if you want it any more Scoutified I don't think you'll see it from Browning.
Denis
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Re: BLR Takedown - What would Jeff Cooper say?

Post by Travis Morgan »

71fan wrote:As we all know, the leveraction is faster than a bolt gun for repeat shots in the right hands.
Not the BLR. Too long of a lever throw.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

DPris wrote:Don't hold your breath waiting for any synthetic furniture on the BLR. Browning's not really pushing it for the serious Scout crowd & I doubt you'll see any synthetic furniture on the things. It's possible, but unlikely.
I have the takedown in .308 with a Burris waiting to go on it here, and in dealing with one of their reps at the head office, he didn't even know the catalog had a "Scout" Model in it.
It's something of an afterthought & if you want it any more Scoutified I don't think you'll see it from Browning.
Denis
I'll be quite satisfied with it just the way it is. The only decision I guess I need to make is straight or pistol grip. I prefer wood and blued steel on my rifles anyway. But I really do want the second barrel, and I'll hang tight for a while until I at least get an answer from Browning regarding that.
Chad
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Travis Morgan wrote:
71fan wrote:As we all know, the leveraction is faster than a bolt gun for repeat shots in the right hands.
I didn't know that...can the lever be operated in prone position without canting the rifle? Is it any different/better with a short action vs long action or magnum?
Chad
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

The lever on a BLR is just.... different. You can't just throw 'em back and forth like a WInchester. I had wanted one forever, but traded mine off at the first gunshow after I got it. I just didn't like it. It looked good on paper......
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

71fan wrote:
Travis Morgan wrote:
I didn't know that...can the lever be operated in prone position without canting the rifle? Is it any different/better with a short action vs long action or magnum?
Yes, and yes. The lever can be operated from the prone position, and it is easier with a short action. The BLR action has a cam setup that pushes the bolt forward rather than lifting it like in the 94. I found with mine all it took was to lube the cam on the bottom of the bolt, and now it is as sooth as silk. I might even let you shoot it. :wink: :D
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting