OT - Selling One's Mistakes

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

OT - Selling One's Mistakes

Post by Hobie »

Say you have bought something that either doesn't work, doesn't work for you, or doesn't fill a need in some other way. Say you paid X amount of money and the current retail is Y and X does not equal Y. If X is greater than Y do you as a seller want to know that? As a buyer? If Y is greater than X, as a seller or buyer would you want to know that? Should the benefit of ignorance be given to sellers or to buyers (i.e. should higher prices not be disclosed to which?) or should all buyers and sellers be treated equally by posting or not posting of such information?

That might be as clear as mud to some.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

As long as it doesn't constitute a fraud I don't think it matters what you tell someone or don't tell them as long as you don't lie.

I don't feel obligated to educate everyone I come in contact with.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

(x-3)*(x^6-2x^3+1)=0

There you go, Hobie... :D
Tom

Seriously, it's worth what it sells for. As long as I disclose all relevant facts (be it a gun, used car or whatever) and the buyer is not in someway incapacitated or drunk, then there is no fraud or skulduggery on my part. Caveat emptor...

(I thought you were starting a thread about selling our kids!)
Last edited by don Tomás on Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

If I want to buy something and I know my price for that item, and the item is as described, whether the seller makes a buck or loses a buck is not my concern.

Unless the seller is retarded and I am taking advantage of them. That's immoral.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

It is the buyer that decides to give the asking price or not. When I am in the market for nearly anything I will shop around for the best price. I don't go to Mr. Jones' store and tell him his prices are 10% higher than Mr. Smith's, I just buy it from Mr. Smith. However, if I see an ad for an item that is just way, way, way out of line I may bring it to the attention of others, if for no other reason than to have a good laugh.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

(x-3)*(x^6-2x^3+1)=0
OK, now for us calculus / algebra / trig impaired persons translate that gibberish into 1+1= 2.

I've tried to sell things several times on this forum. Each time I've posted the items at what I've paid for them. Never trying to make any profit, just trying to break even. Sometimes I've stated shipping extra, and sometimes shipping included. But in every case but one I've had people slam me by posting things at Midway that were cheaper than what I had for sale. To the point of posting things that did not completely match what I was trying to sell. In every case my attempted sales were ruined.
I won't post ANYTHING for sale here anymore. I don't need the insults.

If someone has something for sale and you don't like the price, leave it alone. Let the thread die. If you want the item, or feel the need to educate the seller, send him a PM.

JMHO

Joe
Paul LC
Levergunner

Post by Paul LC »

don Tomás wrote:(x-3)*(x^6-2x^3+1)=0

Tom
That has two solutions, x=3 or x=1.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

There's nothing wrong with trying to make your money back, and there's nothing wrong with selling for as much as you can possibly get.

Me, I don't particularly care what another guy paid for it. It's interesting, but unimportant. I only care what I'll pay for it.

Money aside, the thing you don't want is for either party to come out of the deal feeling cheated.

:)
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well put Fwiedner. I could care less what the seller pai, nor do I care if he buys it from me and turns around and resells it for more money. As long as we're both happy with the deal, then it's fine.
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

J Miller wrote:
(x-3)*(x^6-2x^3+1)=0
OK, now for us calculus / algebra / trig impaired persons translate that gibberish into 1+1= 2.

I've tried to sell things several times on this forum. Each time I've posted the items at what I've paid for them. Never trying to make any profit, just trying to break even. Sometimes I've stated shipping extra, and sometimes shipping included. But in every case but one I've had people slam me by posting things at Midway that were cheaper than what I had for sale. To the point of posting things that did not completely match what I was trying to sell. In every case my attempted sales were ruined.
I won't post ANYTHING for sale here anymore. I don't need the insults.

If someone has something for sale and you don't like the price, leave it alone. Let the thread die. If you want the item, or feel the need to educate the seller, send him a PM.

JMHO

Joe
It doesn't bother me when someone tells me an item I have for sale is high. If I feel its fairly priced then I just don't change it. I'm also not afraid to point out when an item one of my friends may be interested in is priced to high. That will also apply to my friends and fellow board members here on this forum. If you post an item here and I know that it can be found cheaper elsewhere, am I not obligated to let my friends know. If this happens to kill a sale I apologize but by the same token if it saves you money when you buying something posted here, you're welcome. IMHO
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

FWiedner wrote:There's nothing wrong with trying to make your money back, and there's nothing wrong with selling for as much as you can possibly get.

Me, I don't particularly care what another guy paid for it. It's interesting, but unimportant. I only care what I'll pay for it.

Money aside, the thing you don't want is for either party to come out of the deal feeling cheated.

:)
Ditto. As long as both parties feel better off in a peaceable exchange, everyone wins. What a person's costs were, or the profit (or lack of profit) they made is irrelevant (as long as, as Tom noted, no fraud took place).

It's why our economic system (when the government weenies keep their greedy-little noses out of it) works best! :D
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I've been in sales for about 25 years. It doesn't matter if it's here on the forum or with one of my customers. I always try to be fair and totally honest. Those of you that have bought from me know that it I wanted it to be a "win-win" for for both of us.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Here's what I post on all of my Auctions of Not Quite NIB Stuff that can be purchased New elsewhere:
I will never auction off somthing for more than its current Retail Value. My "Buy-Out" price reflects my "I'm not retail" discount.

I won't keep people from bidding my genuinely Used stuff up to current Retail value, but if they want it that bad, they can buy it for that price.

Collectables I've researched for collectable value OTOH... :wink:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

The first rule of investment: An item is only worth as much as another person is willing to pay. That said, my responsibility ends with my honest description of the item. What I paid for it is nobodies business but mine.

Case in point. Several years ago I bought three boxes of limited edition Star Trek Micromachines. Yup, those cheesy little plastic toys. I paid $9.00 a box at a toy outlet store for Limited Edition Sets I, II and III. I brought them home, closed up the sack and slide them under the bed where they sat for about six or seven years. A few years ago I listed them for sale on eBay with a starting bid of $40. A modest profit for me but they were just in the way collecting dust. I honestly described the product and posted accurate pictures. Did I advertise that I only paid $9.00 a piece for them at an outlet store? Nope, and I sure as heck didn't tell that little man from Japan that bid and paid $406 for them along with $48 expedited overseas shipping. Hey, that's what he wanted and was willing to pay. He was happy and I was ecstatic. It was a win-win situation.

As for me being the buyer, no, I don't really care what somebody else paid for something. I know what I'm willing to pay and that's about it. I'm cheap by nature and am constantly on the lookout to buy something for nothing but if it's something I really want I will pay more than I should. Worth of an item is in the eye of the buyer.

As for third party bystanders, unless they are directly involved with the transaction they should keep their opinions to themselves.
Last edited by Mojo on Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT - Selling One's Mistakes

Post by jhrosier »

Hobie wrote:.... should all buyers and sellers be treated equally by posting or not posting of such information?

That might be as clear as mud to some.
Hobie,
I belong to another forum that has very strict rules about interfering with a classified ad sale. Basically, if you are not the buyer or seller, you are not allowed to post unsolicited comments about the transaction. It is about the same as not interfering with a transaction at a gunshow or other public sale. The buyers and sellers are assumed to be responsible, honest, informed adults. There was some difficulty in getting people to understand and abide by this policy in the beginning but it works quite well now. There is also a feedback forum for buyers and sellers. I don't think that I see more than one negative feedback per year. They also actively discourage trolls and ban anyone who simply refuses to abide by the rules, after a couple of warnings.
It is a friendly and pleasant place to visit, much like this forum.

Jack
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Hobie - I'm guessing you are saying it is not right to sell an undisclosed problem to someone here, where they can't look it over. I am with you on that.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

#1 - I'm not saying, I'm asking. Joe knows why and he's made his point (as he made it to me) here.

#2 - JHRosier has also come to the point. I'm asking about posts here. I'm sorry if that isn't clear.

#3 - I am not asking about collectibles as they are indeed worth only what somebody will pay and if they will pay a lot are worth a lot.

#4 - The answers, all of them, have really been interesting to me. Thanks for taking the time to post! :!:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

please give full disclosure and you'll have a happy customer.

Selling off your Marlin 44 mag because it jams is not right unless you disclose the reason. It's part of describing the condition. You may not get as much for it, but you'll be doing the right thing. How do you like buying something online and getting a lemon?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

It depends. If I'm selling something, then I'm selling it and would like fair market value. If I am making a gift, then I am considerably more generous.

The difference is obvious.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I dunno, fair is fair & all that, but we dont have a classified section here.
If its posted in a discusion forum I'm a little at a loss why folks cant discuss it. I kinda doubt any comments were meant to harm the sellers but rather just to help the potential buyers.
just me, but I'd go by the available price if it werent a collectable thing. If it could be got cheaper than I'm willing to sell it then I'd either wait till later or take the hit. But thats just me.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I don't believe it matters, as long as both the seller and the buyer are happy/satisfied - and nobody lied.

As far as buying & selling guns goes over the last 40 years (of which, I've done a lot), I've come out ahead on some & behind on others - ending up pretty much about even, when all is said & done.

But I figure I'm miles ahead, in the pleasure & experiences I had, doing all those deals.

I always had to laugh, when some would object over a $10 or $20 difference - for something desireable - when I used to spend that much (at least) on throw-away gun magazines !

Think about it - How much $$$ do YOU waste, on magazines/newspapers/coffee, tobacco, you-name-it ?
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

I would never buy something without knowing it's value. I have to bite my tongue sometimes when I see someone about to bite on an unfairly priced item, but it's not really any of my business, unless the buyer happens to ask, perhaps in a separate thread?
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

solutions

Post by rjohns94 »

IT has three solutions. X =0,3,1
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

oops

Post by rjohns94 »

I misread the first part of the equation, only two solutuions as previously posted. my bad
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Add another vote for the win-win sale. Long as both parties are happy who cares what anything is worth? I over paid for a minty Python but was happy to do it as it was the perfect one I was looking for at the time. Seller came down a few hundred, I went up a few hundred, done deal and both happy.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"