1895 win serial #'s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
78CJ
Levergunner

1895 win serial #'s

Post by 78CJ »

How many different places were the original 1895's numbered?

Thanks

Ryan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Under the lever on the lower tang as far as I know. My Russian musket has some other proofs but no other # that I can find. Nor does my 35WCF or my SRC both from the 20s&30s.

Hope that helps.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
78CJ
Levergunner

Post by 78CJ »

It helps, not what i was hoping to hear but it helps. Years of abuse have led to the under tang # being illegible. It is a cut barreled shooter in 30US with a trapdoor butt and what I believe to be a replacement rear ladder sight missing the elevator. The barrel is around 23".

Thanks

Ryan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Ryan,

It sounds like it may be a saddle ring carbine. A trapdoor buttstock and ladder sight would be correct.

A lot of old timers took the rings and hand guards off the SRCs for various reasons. The hand guards split easily and were usually tossed. I picked up my SRC cheap a long time ago because it had been pretty worked over. I bought it intending to restore it. Took it deer hunting one year and decided it was just about the most perfect hunting rifle I'd ever come across. It's still just as I found it except that I put the saddle ring back on it.

I'd love to see a phot of yours. 95s are my favorite.

78CJ
Levergunner

Post by 78CJ »

You know, I half wonder if the saddle ring from mine was replaced with a screw. There is a screw in place on the reciever of mine that does not make it all of the way through the threads on the other side and I thought that was odd.

How long is you barrel to the front of the reciever?

I will post some pics maybe today

Thanks

Ryan
78CJ
Levergunner

Post by 78CJ »

How about some pics :D

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks like you have a cut down musket. Winchester produced some in 30-40 for the Army for testing. Most were sent to the Philipeans where they were pretty much hated by the soldiers and most sold off as surplus. The stud for the detachable sling swivel at the front of the magazine box is the giveaway. It could also have been an NRA musket, also in 30-40(i thnk). 'll have to get my books out to see which one it was for sure. Both were pretty rare birds.

This is similar to what it would have looked like ( with out the stripper clip "ears" on the receiver).

8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu May 08, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

78CJ
Levergunner

Post by 78CJ »

I wonder why the finger grooves on mine go beyond the barrel band though? That is great info, anymore you can tell me would be great. I have other pics also.

Thanks

Ryan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OK.

Got home and double checked my books.

The NRA Musket was .30-06, would have been marked .30 GOV'T.

Yours was a US Army Musket. The rear sight should be marked up to 1000 yds. or 1400 yds( on the side of the base, not the leaf). depending on the type 2 or type 3 rear sight, the latter being marked 14 at it's highest setting.
The barrel band is probably the original. Who ever sporterized the old girl probably reshaped the original forend must have cut it back and fitted the barrel band back on not paying attention to the finger grooves. That happend a lot in days past. Those old Winchesters, especially the odd ones like Muskets didn't bring high prices and got turned into more utilitarian arms.

Bet she's a sweet shooter. I always wanted one in 30-40! Such a pleasant shooting cartridge.

8)

78CJ
Levergunner

Post by 78CJ »

Boy does that sound spot on!!! After reading your assesment and looking closer at your pics and mine I think you are right. It looks like whoever sporterized it ran the finger groove out to the barrelband. You can see where they had done some sanding on it.

I just picked it up last weekend and have not had a chance to shoot it. It has good looking rifling in it and boy, are this things slicker than snot!!! I did run a full mag through it and it seems to feed fine and will eject live rounds quite ambitiously.

Did all carbines have the trapdoor in the butt, or was it just the muskets?

Even considering the cut barrel what would be a going rate for these?

It is not for sale for more than one reason but I just am wondering how I did.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Thanks

Ryan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

The Carbine and Musket shared the same butt stocks and plates. I've read that the Russian inspectors would not pass some muskets if the stocks showed too much figure and they would be sent over to be fitted to carbines. This makes sense too. I've seen several saddle ring carbines including mine that have stocks that are nicely figured walnut.

If you ever come accross one of the cleaning kits for the 95 grab it. I've only seen one and it was priced at $200!

Even though your's has been worked over it's still has some value, especially to a 95 collector. I hesitate to put a number on it but I would say I'd pay up to $600 or so with a decent bore and shootable condition.

The butt stock and plate alone are worth at least $300-350

jb 8)