Range Report-sort of-Little Sharps

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Range Report-sort of-Little Sharps

Post by oldgerboy »

After we closed the shop this afternoon I stopped off at the range. Up went a three foot square piece of paper with a four inch "dot" at 50 yards. I had five loads ... four mild handloads and some factory CILs.

The first order of business was to drive to a buddy's house just up the road and drill out the aperature in the tang sight. The original opening was too small to allow an significant amount of light through it. I had noticed this at the house but thought being outside would make a difference ... oops.

Back at the range ... I loaded up, aimed, and click ... no bang. The primer was barely touched. CCI primers were used and I know that they are tougher than others but the rifle was just not making enough contact. Two more of them produced the same results. All three fired in my Marlin and had good dents in the primers.

I then loaded up one of the CILs. It went off obviously due to a much more sensitive primer because the firing pin barely made a mark. A second CIL also fired and ... here's the good news ... they were only 1 1/4 inches apart. That is with a .375 bullet in a .3815 bore and the first two shots fired from the rifle in it's life.. This little critter should do very well with properly sized bullets, a good hit from the firing pin, and the barrel broken in. :D

I stopped and went home to ponder the firing pin strike and to make this report. I didn't fire any more CIL's because I only have a box and a half left.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I would save those CILs, too!

Doesn't the Sharps firing pin have a shoulder? (actually a couple of shoulders, huh?) :lol:

So, could you not relieve the shoulder a bit to get more protrusion? That is if the mfg can't send you a new FP which gives sufficient protrusion.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

The small shoulder/bump/protrusion parallel to the firing pin itself seems to be hitting before anything else. That's what I'm going to work on first. I think I'm going to get a couple more assemblies on general principles. They look like they might be the only thing that might cause a problem in the distant future.
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

You are going to love that little sharps I got one a while back 38-55 The more you shoot it the better it will shoot. I shoot lots of black in mine. and have had no problems of any kind.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

oldgerboy wrote:The small shoulder/bump/protrusion parallel to the firing pin itself seems to be hitting before anything else. That's what I'm going to work on first. I think I'm going to get a couple more assemblies on general principles. They look like they might be the only thing that might cause a problem in the distant future.
I have read that the Sharps firing pins do break so that might not be a bad idea while the parts are still around! I see that you get my ill-worded drift. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

I have always had a hankerin' to own a really clean High Wall in 38-55. To me, that would be very close to an all-around rifle. These Little Sharps rifles might just be the answer to that. I might have to take a look at one...after I pay for my current Shiloh order. :shock:
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

The High and Low Walls are arguably my favorite single shot cartridge rifle but the Little Sharps seemed to be just the right size overall and scaled perfectly for the .38-55.

I'm not disappointed ... it is and is what I thought. I just need to get the sights to be more visable for me and solve the firing problem.

Another advantage for me was the price ... I could get it at cost.