The Marlin Crossbolt Safety

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

The Marlin Crossbolt Safety

Post by Bigahh »

I saw Hobie's post up in the one sticky about the Marlin Cross bolt safety. He gave a couple of good ideas on disabling it, or replacing it totally. Can the safety be totally reversed for a Left Handed shooter? I sometimes have a problem with my shotgun with the right handed safety pushing over from my hand during recoil. Not sure yet if this is possible with a Marlin rifle, but if it is I want to do something with it.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I dont think so but I never tried. Theres a ball detent involved that I think would prevent it from being turnt around.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Clyde Ludwig(sp?) sells a replacement fixture that looks like a screw. 1886.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If it bugs you because you're left handed, delete it. To me, that thing is a sure fire way to have problems not solve problems. Mr. Ludwig's product is the way to go I think.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Here's what both sides of the Ludwig replacement looks like:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

There is one way to disable the safety that is quick, simple, cheap, reversible, and does not require altering the rifle. That is simply slip a tight fitting O-ring over the grove in the left side of the safety. Until you remove the O-ring you cannot move the safety button even by intent.

When I bought my 1894 Marlin it had such an O-ring. I left it there until I put the Clyde Ludwig replacement part in. (Which I don't like, but it's better than the safety. )

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
foxtrapper
Levergunner 2.0

Post by foxtrapper »

Joe how come you don't like the Clyde replacement? Except for the color difference I think it does the job well :D . I think its made from aluminum. I had a Marlin re blued with the replacement part installed and it and the steel came out the same color.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

foxtrapper wrote:Joe how come you don't like the Clyde replacement? Except for the color difference I think it does the job well :D . I think its made from aluminum. I had a Marlin re blued with the replacement part installed and it and the steel came out the same color.
foxtrapper,

The Clyde Ludwig replacement I have is steel. The reason I don't like it is that it sits below flush of the right side of the receiver, and that fake screw slot makes the rifle look busy. If it fit flush with both sides and did not have that screw slot I wouldn't mind so much.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I agree with Joe. The replacement does need to be .030-.050" longer. However Mr. Ludwig's invention makes it possible for me to own newer Marlins because I could not live with that horrible cross bolt safety. I really like Mr. Ludwig's product. In fact I have decided that I can no longer live with my new 86s because of that xx%&--- tang safety. I have been fortunate to find two B 86s recently. 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Mon May 12, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Where can we get Mr. Ludwig's part? Can anyone post an address?
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

jlchucker wrote:Where can we get Mr. Ludwig's part? Can anyone post an address?
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylo ... safety.htm

In my guns the replacement from Mr. Ludqwig fit just like the original screws in the gun. Look at the photos in the article above.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

See, there ya go. Everyone has their own feelings. I wish it had screw slots on both sides.
Slow is just slow.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Only complaint I have abut the Ludwig deal is the blue is slightly off from the gun. Nobody but me has ever noticed tho.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Leverdude wrote:Only complaint I have abut the Ludwig deal is the blue is slightly off from the gun. Nobody but me has ever noticed tho.
If you use your gun enough, the blue is worn so splotchy it don't matter. Of course, if all you do is look at it .... :P :lol: :D :)
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I bought two of these and he doesn't charge extra for multiple orders. I'm tickled pink with the fit, function,appearance, and price of mine. Clyde is awesome! (No, I'm not a paid endorser)
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Or you can make your own out of whatever material you like.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

deerwhacker444,

Thanks for posting that drawing. I saved it. I don't have the tools to make one, but should I find someone who does, I'm all set.

Joe
slabsides
Levergunner

Post by slabsides »

Poissonilly, I don't see what's the matter with the Marlin crossbolt safety. I have one on my .45-70, but not on my .357. What I really think was gross was the raised hump side safety boss on the Winchesters of a few years ago. Looked like the gun had a goitre. I guess they did away with it just before Win. took the big slide, too little too late.
I just ignore the Marlin safety, and continue to use the half cock like I have on levers for 60 years. If I thought it was important, I'd go in and tighten the set screw so it wouldn't move off 'fire'. Otherwise, no fault, no blame. There are guns on which the esthetics are revolting, viz. the Winchester safety referred to above. But the Marlin button is unobtrusive and inoffensive to me.
The Wise said: "This cannot be done." The Fool came, and did it.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

JimT wrote:
Leverdude wrote:Only complaint I have abut the Ludwig deal is the blue is slightly off from the gun. Nobody but me has ever noticed tho.
If you use your gun enough, the blue is worn so splotchy it don't matter. Of course, if all you do is look at it .... :P :lol: :D :)
Guess you got a point :lol:
I like it & would buy another.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I don't know yet if Mr. Ludwig has this in Stainless, but I don't even care, I am putting it in my Stainless Rifle no matter what. I figure it's better than the original cross bolt.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

I don't know yet if Mr. Ludwig has this in Stainless, but I don't even care, I am putting it in my Stainless Rifle no matter what
I guess you could just take the blue off and give it a coat of Birchwood sheath. Or just highly polish it.

Either way, it'll fix what ails you.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

What's all the fuss about I have two MARLINS and the safety doesn't bother me?
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with 4T5 , They dont bother me either. :wink:
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Because it's an abomination on an otherwise perfectly safe firearm. They worked well enough for almost 100yrs without it, and that's how I prefer them.

I've got Marlins and Winchesters with them, but I hate the way they look.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

meanc wrote:
Because it's an abomination on an otherwise perfectly safe firearm. They worked well enough for almost 100yrs without it, and that's how I prefer them.
Dittos!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson