Can the Browning M71 action become a .45-70 or .45-90?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Can the Browning M71 action become a .45-70 or .45-90?

Post by Naphtali »

Those of you who are knowledgeable of the variations among the M1886-based mechanisms, I have a question I hope you can answer. The Browning M71 is chambered for .348 WCF. Can it be converted backwards to .45-70 or .45-90? I do not refer to the barrel, that must be replaced, rather the action.

I think my question has to do with whether the receiver has been rendered during manufacture to accept only the larger cartridge body of the .348. If only replaceable parts accommodate the larger cartridge base, the answer is: Yes, it can be converted with proper and correct parts replacement.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My question to you is WHY? If you can get a Browning 1886, why not convert that (to .45-90) if you must with much less cost. Then you don't take another .348 M71 out of circulation and you get what you want with less cost.

I happen to think that a goodly portion of the Browning leverguns are owned by forum members (or former forum members). :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
95fan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 95fan »

Hobie wrote:My question to you is WHY? If you can get a Browning 1886, why not convert that (to .45-90) if you must with much less cost. Then you don't take another .348 M71 out of circulation and you get what you want with less cost.

I happen to think that a goodly portion of the Browning leverguns are owned by forum members (or former forum members). :wink:
+1, It can be done but there is really no reason since there are plenty of 86's available
A perfect day can only be achieved while hunting
Bullet Bob

Post by Bullet Bob »

Or, if you were in North Carolina, you could trade your Browning 71 for my Winchester (Miroku) .45-70 ExtraLight.

And should you have the misfortune to live elswhere, I'd bet you could find someone locally to make a comparable trade.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

yes you can but you can also have rebarreled to 50 Alaskan :D

That's what I'd rechamber to ifn I wanted to.

This gentleman can do it for you http://www.leveractions.com
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I don't know what the hype is about the 45-90. In true form, it has the 1-32 twist for the 300 grain bullets. If using smokeless, it has nothing over the 45-70. The brass is a LOT more expensive and if using the 45-90 brass, its a stickler if you are using heavier than 300 grain bullets as heavier bullets always exceed maximun OAL if crimped in the proper groove.

I have owned original 45-90's for more than 35 years and have them mostly for nostalgic reasons as 99% of the time, when I want to shoot a big bore, I reach for a 45-70.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and either buy an '86 in 45-70 or rebarrel your 348 to 50-100-450---------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

don't know what the hype is about the 45-90. In true form, it has the 1-32 twist for the 300 grain bullets. If using smokeless, it has nothing over the 45-70. The brass is a LOT more expensive and if using the 45-90 brass, its a stickler if you are using heavier than 300 grain bullets as heavier bullets always exceed maximun OAL if crimped in the proper groove.

I have owned original 45-90's for more than 35 years and have them mostly for nostalgic reasons as 99% of the time, when I want to shoot a big bore, I reach for a 45-70.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation and either buy an '86 in 45-70 or rebarrel ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------HE HAS SPOKEN...1+
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

95fan wrote:+1, It can be done but there is really no reason since there are plenty of 86's available
Thank you for your reply.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson