OT- Did somebody say Blackhawk?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Did somebody say Blackhawk?

Post by Andrew »

Well, I am the very proud owner of a 1997 vintage 7.5" NM Blackhawk in .45LC. I wish you all had made it more clear as to how much fun these suckers are so I could have got one sooner. :D

My range report is not that fancy or exciting, but it was alot of fun.

Here goes:

15yds
Free standing
.45LC A-Merc 250gr RNL

As you can see, there is a 1.5" group with a flyer that opened it up to 3". I tried resting on a shelf for the next bunch of groups, but never achieved this tight of a pattern afterwards.

The last group of 5 was done at 100'(33 1/3yds) free standing which turned out to be "shoot two,pick up target, shoot two,pick up target, shoot one". They all stayed in less than 6". I don't have a paper for that cause I was shooting the top of a metal shelf. Which brings me to "Exhibit B"....

Lefty there was recovered from a peice of 3/4" wood behind the metal shelf. I thought that it stopping in the wood was odd for such a close distance(15yds). Then it got weird when I backed up to do the last 5 and ended up with all of them BOUNCING off of the sheet metal: the one on the right. :shock:

Is that normal? I couldn't tell any difference between shooting my ROA and shooting these A-MERC shells as far as kick goes. I don't know, this is the first .45 I have ever shot.

Oh yeah, here's the devil that started it all....ain't it perdy!

ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Excellent! Hardness of bullets can vary results on media greatly. And yep, the .45 Colt IS the king of carbine and revolver rounds! :twisted: At least IMO!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

They sure can shoot. Even better with a good handload.

This was a "function check" after re-finishing and reassembling the .45 Vaquero. After shooting this five round group, offhand, including a flier I knew was low when I touched it off, I walked off the distance carefully. 13 yards, shot offhand, at a relaxed CAS pace of about a shot a second.

I didn't even have the center of the plate marked. Instead, I shot one round and aimed at the hole ;)
Certified gun nut
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Andrew,

That's pretty good shooting. My BH is a 71 vintage.

A-Merc ammo is pretty much junque. The samples I got had very loose bullets, inconsistent to no neck tension ( you could turn the bullets by light finger pressure) and the flash holes in the brass were inconsistent and way off center.

I don't recommend trying to reload it. I'd recommend scrapping it.

Try a better brand of ammo and I'll bet you see a big difference. MagTech, Black Hills, Winchester, and many others are much better choices.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

congrats and I hope you enjoy your blackhawk for years to come.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

J Miller wrote:A-Merc ammo is pretty much junque.
Joe
I only got to shoot 49 because one had too thick a rim and jammed the cylinder at about 10:00.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They are fun aren't they?

It's got some nice character to it.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I was wondering I have a pistol in 45 sw99 and it kicks like a mule is there a difference in .45 lc revolver and .45 acp auto pistol as far as recoil?
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Griff wrote:Excellent! Hardness of bullets can vary results on media greatly. And yep, the .45 Colt IS the king of carbine and revolver rounds! :twisted: At least IMO!
I have shot the 30 carbine :lol:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Oh, I thought we were talking Blackhawks...

Andrew, they become a sickness after a while. You WILL end up with others!
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

ohwin94_61 wrote:I was wondering I have a pistol in 45 sw99 and it kicks like a mule is there a difference in .45 lc revolver and .45 acp auto pistol as far as recoil?
In a good sized revolver like the Blackhawk, "standard velocity" .45 Colt is not rough at all. Even "warm" loads like 10 of Unique and a 250 (1100 fps) are only a modest thumping recoil.

Now the "Ruger Only" loads like a boat load of H110 and a 250 or 300 grainer are a treat. They will turn the muzzle a full 90 degrees, straight up, when fired from a bench.
Certified gun nut
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Andrew -

Well, the secret it out. Now you'll need to go out and collect other Blackhawks in various calibers. I suggest the next one should be a .44!!! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

awp101 wrote:Oh, I thought we were talking Blackhawks...
I somehow KNEW someone would post that... :lol: !
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

For real fun you need to do 2 things:

1) Buy some Hornady 250 grain XTP's and load some top "Ruger Only" loads with H110 or WW296.

2) Buy some hard cast bullets at 325 to 340 grains, and load some top "Ruger Only" loads with H110 or WW296.
2row
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 2row »

and make sure you have good ins. cause them will hurt you
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

bj94 wrote:For real fun you need to do 2 things:

1) Buy some Hornady 250 grain XTP's and load some top "Ruger Only" loads with H110 or WW296.

2) Buy some hard cast bullets at 325 to 340 grains, and load some top "Ruger Only" loads with H110 or WW296.
Wear a glove on yer right hand (I like a bicycle glove with padded leather palm, tight fit, an chopped fingertips) so the trigger guard and grips don't take away pieces of yer skin. Oh, DO hang on.

My son, then 18, fired my 250s with 10 unique "plinkers" and enjoyed them, but when it came to H110-powered XTP 250s, he saw the full 90 degree muzzle rotation, the big flame and heard the wicked blast, and declined to try even one, declaring them "f......g sick" ;)

.45 250 with H110 at night from a 7.5 inch BH
Certified gun nut
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Try shootin that hot 45Lc load in a TC contender 10" with a closed breach, if ya want a handful. :wink:
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Andrew...congrats on a fine handgun. I know these fellas are semi-joking, but I say keep it fun with that Black Hawk, unless your going to Alaska or something. It's good to keep it fun until something becomes second nature, and then if you feel the need ramp up your loads. Bad habits can be developed if you don't take the right approach. It took me years to unlearn bad flinching habits after shooting hot 44 Mag. loads as a teenager. Look forward to more reports if you get time.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
wildmanh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by wildmanh »

Nice gun and pretty good shooting. :) Thanks for the pics. I have a Blackhawk Convertible in .357 Mag/9mm which I love to shoot. It has the 4 5/8" Barrel have been thinking of getting another .357 Mag convertible or possibly a .45LC/45 ACP convertible with a 5-1/2" Barrel. Your post has made me want the .45LC Convertible more and more. Thank goodness I'm broke.

Heber
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Lefty Dude wrote:Try shootin that hot 45Lc load in a TC contender 10" with a closed breach, if ya want a handful. :wink:
Yeah, but if you want the full effect, it has to be one of the OLD ones with the light octagon barrels and weirdly contoured grip. :shock: That combination would make you find religion!
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
afish4570
Levergunner 2.0

Post by afish4570 »

AMERC ammo....never used the factory loaded....but reloaded some and found the 45 ACP primer pockets were too large. Had the primers fall out in magazine or while feeding into chamber.I now inspect my range pickups and these go into scrap pail. Alot of local shooters are switching to 40 S&W's and retiring the 45's due to higher component costs.afish4570 :roll: :roll:
afish4570