Dirty Harry's New Gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Dirty Harry's New Gun

Post by CowboyTutt »

Well, I have often wondered what Dirty Harry would use today if he was still a LEO. I have never seen anything that looked right for him. As soon as I saw this pic at Gunblast.com, I knew I had found his current revolver! :D Its the new 500 S&W:

I think I want one......

-Tutt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Harry shot a light 44 Spl. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Them brittle ancient wrists of his would snap like twigs and he would end up with one thumb stuck up each nostril :shock: :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That does look pretty sweet!

I like the Ballards and the Bushmaster .338 too.

New Guns & Stuff at the 2008 NRA Annual Exhibit
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

gundownunder wrote:Them brittle ancient wrists of his would snap like twigs and he would end up with one thumb stuck up each nostril :shock: :lol:
:wink: Honest, they don't kick that bad......a little less than my BFR with a 405 doing about 1500fps......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Even Dirty Harry would have better taste than to carry that ugly piece of junque.

Besides, with holes in the cylinder like that cannon has he couldn't ask ask: "Do you feel lucky punk ....." ect.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Honest, they don't kick that bad......a little less than my BFR with a 405 doing about 1500fps......
I'm with Blaine on this one. I've shot the 8 1/2 version 500 and it was no different than shooting my Taurus Raging Bull in 454 with the same barrel length. My best friend has a BFR in 454 with a 6 1/2" barrel, and IMHO it is more difficult to shoot than either of these big boys because it uses a typical SAA-Type grip frame, so it has a LOT of muzzle flip. I was actually thinking of selling the RB tonight for the S&W until I pulled it out of the safe and handled it. It has a custom trigger/action job by Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision, and I would be a fool to sell it for the Smith. It is just so smoooooth! 8)

-Tutt
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Handgun?

Kinda stretching the word "technically" aren't we :wink:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

G'day all,

Interesting title to this topic because that just what went through my mind when I saw this little beauty. Overall length is about 20+ inches. Antthing you hit with this thing will be as we say Downunder " well and truly buggered".

http://www.vincelewis.net/60magnum.html

Cheers
Troy
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

crow wrote:G'day all,

Interesting title to this topic because that just what went through my mind when I saw this little beauty. Overall length is about 20+ inches. Antthing you hit with this thing will be as we say Downunder " well and truly buggered".

http://www.vincelewis.net/60magnum.html

Cheers
Troy
Troy -

I didn't realize you had stray elephants - and T-Rex's - wandering around downunder! :shock:
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Ysabel Kid,

Mate, even if we did, I reckon I'd make bloody sure the first shot from my longarm did the job just to avoid having to pull the backup pistol. :lol: And who knows, maybe a trampling would hurt less.

Still, I reckon we'd all love to have a go of one, even if it did turn out to be a case of once bitten, twice shy.

Cheers
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Mate, even if we did, I reckon I'd make bloody sure the first shot from my longarm did the job just to avoid having to pull the backup pistol.
Crow, that was a good one! I'm still laughing! Anyhow, my RB is feeling puny! She's the one at the top of the pic:

-Tutt
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Tutt,

They look plenty big enough to me mate. And of course the size of the bore varies depending on which end of the barrel your on. They are all very nice, but that middle one is very pretty indeed. I would love to have a lever action / pistol combo, especially as I also bowhunt. Unfortunately taking a pistol hunting is a near impossibility in Oz these days unless you live on the property you hunt on.

The top RB particularly looks like a real peacemaker to me :lol:

Cheers

Troy
-Benjamin Franklin
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

"Well and truly buggered" is right! :shock:
That's what I'd be as soon as I touched off a round!
My .454 Casull Super Redhawk with a 9 1/2 inch barrel is plenty stupid-big!
This thing is just beyond sanity. :wink:

Would I try it? I might.... Nah, I'll skip this one 8)

Gryphon
bang.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Have you seen the 450 Marlin handgun? It's an experience standing nearby with one of those going off.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Ruger is one of the best all around pistols I have seen.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you put wheels on that Smith it would work pretty well for the gun-bunnies over in DivArty. Does it come with RAP rounds to really reach out and touch something? :wink: Actually I would like to try a cylinder full from one.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Jeeps wrote:Handgun?

Kinda stretching the word "technically" aren't we :wink:
Jeeps. Right about that. This is more of "hands" gun. And if you happen to have three, all the better. :wink:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gosh,

I feel like a piker: a few Colt SAAs & clones in .45 Colt and .357; a DA Mdl 65 Smith and 3 .45ACP 1911s. And, I have the gall to think I'm well armed.

I saw one of those at a gun show recently. I must admit, my first thought was, "what a cannon, what use could I have for one?"

Not being a fan of the .44 Magnum, I still don't have a answer to the above question. (That was a rhetorical question folks, doesn't require outside input).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Looks like an NBA Special to me.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Does anyone make an ankle holster for it?

:wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Harry shot a light 44 Spl.]

Actually, the gun Clint used was a look-alike .41 Magnum Model 57, since there were no Model 29's available for filming.

" The gun used by Clint Eastwood in the filming of the movie was reportedly not a .44 Magnum. According to a story related by a member of the studio's prop department, Smith & Wesson did not have a Model 29 in stock at the time one was requested for filming. Instead, they used a Smith & Wesson Model 57 in .41 Magnum.[citation needed] The Model 29 and Model 57 are identical except for minute differences in bore size, chamber dimensions, and exterior markings, none of which are visible in the film."
crow
Levergunner

Post by crow »

Nah, don't know about getting a holster for it but my wife reckons I've got the ankles for it. :lol:

I can imagine capping off a few rounds from a booth at the range and all the heads popping up, one after the other like, what do you guys call them wood chucks or prairie dogs.

It would be the apropriate side arm for a CPO on the USS New Jersy.

Cheers
-Benjamin Franklin
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

Don't know nothing about the gun but sure need Harry here in Sydney to run the police, wouldn't have a punk problem then, what ever happend to all them old time cops that always got the job done.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

winchester1886 wrote:Don't know nothing about the gun but sure need Harry here in Sydney to run the police, wouldn't have a punk problem then, what ever happend to all them old time cops that always got the job done.
They got sued out of existance. Between that and video cameras everywhere, the good old days of pointing miscreants down the right road are gone.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad