MORE Spencer Action!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

MORE Spencer Action!

Post by Wayne Miller »

I took this one later in the day when the rain quit. In this one, you see what happens when you short stroke the lever. Good thing no one was shooting back at me!

Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

That is just so neat... :mrgreen: All I can say is that the list is long and the time (and money) is short... :lol: Thanks for sharing!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ah yes, I know the routine well. Shoot a magazine full, then look down to see where the empties went so you don't step on them. Then squat and pic them up. Yep, know that well.

That thing has a quite a healthy thump to the report doesn't it. Very different from the 73 and it's .45 Colt round.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

J Miller wrote:Ah yes, I know the routine well. Shoot a magazine full, then look down to see where the empties went so you don't step on them. Then squat and pic them up. Yep, know that well.

That thing has a quite a healthy thump to the report doesn't it. Very different from the 73 and it's .45 Colt round.

Joe
Well Joe, those cases are about a buck and a quarter a piece :shock: and losing them is NOT a good thing.

I didn't realize there was THAT much difference in the report of the two until I watched the videos. I will tell you that shooting the Spencer is more satisfying than the '73. I guess it is the extra "thump" of feeling like you are shooting a real rifle. Besides, the Spencer it LOTS easier to clean up after shooting BP rounds than the '73! :shock: The Spencer may be the ultimate plinker....right up there with a '76 in 45-60. Now THAT'S FUN!
Wayne Miller

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hes having a bunch of fun and Im jealous
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

RIHMFIRE wrote:He's having a bunch of fun and I'm jealous
Yup, it was fun! But then I had to clean my guns.....and the brass....and cast more bullets....and buy more Goex.... IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!!
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Wayne Miller wrote:
RIHMFIRE wrote:He's having a bunch of fun and I'm jealous
Yup, it was fun! But then I had to clean my guns.....and the brass....and cast more bullets....and buy more Goex.... IT NEVER ENDS!!!!!!
Like he said...;)
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

That was great, Wayne. I really enjoyed that.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

oh yes, fantastic. Thanks.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I really appreciated your videos. thanks.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Wayne Miller wrote: Well Joe, those cases are about a buck and a quarter a piece :shock: and losing them is NOT a good thing.
Wayne, I carry a small (8 x 8, IIRC) blue plastic tarp in my shooter's bag. Plop it down when I can and let the brass fall on it. Saves a lot of headache about worrying where expensive brass flies off to when shooting, and lets me focus on the target versus where the brass is going.

Great post - I love seeing you shoot that Spencer - almost, but not quite as much as I love shooting mine!!! :wink:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for posting.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wayne,
Know the shortstroke routine very well. Very cool, I've seen a couple of them at matches... ain't fast, but... style points are in the stratosphere! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

Griff wrote:Wayne,
Know the shortstroke routine very well. Very cool, I've seen a couple of them at matches... ain't fast, but... style points are in the stratosphere! :D
I have to admit that I am kind of proud of myself.....I didn't even flinch. :D
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Man that thing barks, bet it bites too. Very cool. 1886.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

1886 wrote:Man that thing barks, bet it bites too. Very cool. 1886.
Actually, the recoil is pretty light. You are talking a .50 caliber, 350gr bullet at 900fps out of an eight pound rifle. Those ballistics are out of a 20" barrel. I keep thinking that the 56-50 Spencer would make a DANDY revolver round. Now, by way of contrast, my 50-70 Remington Rolling Block shoves a 515gr bullet at about 1,300 fps. VAST difference between the two! :shock: At the crotchety/old age of 43 (two years ago), I got braces on my teeth (WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?). The first time I shot my Roller after I got braces, I came away bleeding! I am leaving the big punkin' rollers until after I get the braces off. Of course, that didn't stop me from spending two hours casting bullets for my 50-70 Roller and 45-70 Shiloh yesterday.... :D
Wayne Miller

Lone Watie
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Wayne Miller wrote:
1886 wrote:Man that thing barks, bet it bites too. Very cool. 1886.
Actually, the recoil is pretty light. You are talking a .50 caliber, 350gr bullet at 900fps out of an eight pound rifle. Those ballistics are out of a 20" barrel. I keep thinking that the 56-50 Spencer would make a DANDY revolver round. Now, by way of contrast, my 50-70 Remington Rolling Block shoves a 515gr bullet at about 1,300 fps. VAST difference between the two! :shock: At the crotchety/old age of 43 (two years ago), I got braces on my teeth (WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?). The first time I shot my Roller after I got braces, I came away bleeding! I am leaving the big punkin' rollers until after I get the braces off. Of course, that didn't stop me from spending two hours casting bullets for my 50-70 Roller and 45-70 Shiloh yesterday.... :D
I was not referring to the recoil but rather the size of the hole it would place in one. I bet it would make a dandy revolver round. 1886.