OT I know it is way off but what are Lugers...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT I know it is way off but what are Lugers...

Post by Nath »

like to shoot? I never got the chance but some of you folks must have.
Do they jump around some? Can they be controlled well with two hands?
Would they make a good concealed carry gun?
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've had a couple Finn marked .30 cal Lugers that were both very accurate and quite pleasant to shoot. Usually shot mine one handed. Very natural pointers.

I don't know if I'd choose one for conealed carry though. They can be very temperamental when it comes to feed and function. Very picky about magazines too. I had one mag that would work in one pistol and not in another.

I sold my Lugers a couple years ago buy still have my P-38. Not as pretty but in my opinion a far better combat arm than the Luger.

Tough they are fun to shoot and an amazing piece of engeneering and art.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

I have had several. I think they are one of the coolest looking handguns ever made. They are good, but I wouldnt choose one on purpose for concealed carry or defendse. They are machined so well that they are finnicky, tight, I understand hard to work on for a good trigger etc. In other words, far more complex then need be. Also probley not near as fast to get in action as a DA revolver, with its auckward saftey.
The krauts ( dont get excited fellow germans, I am one myself) evidently wanted to protect the gun more then the solider. Take a look at the issue holsters and you will see what I mean. They werent into fast draw!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I find them kind of 'jumpy' but little real recoil, but I'm used to 1911 .45's. I don't think they ever had a reputation as being very reliable, which would concern me in a CCW gun, and the cartridge isn't a great stopper unless you use the premium ammunition. It is also not a small gun to conceal. The other criticism which wouldn't apply to CCW is it's sights are not that precise due to the toggle mechanism, but I guess I'm not a good enough shot to care.

On the other hand, they are a fascinating mechanism to handle, a great piece of history, and for a plinking gun I'd keep one if I had one.

For CCW, I'd advise a .45 ACP, a .40 S&W, or a more modern design 9mm, in that order, or a revolver of course. For CCW the best is to go with what feels good in the hand, what points instinctively for you (close eyes and bring gun up to shooting position and open eyes - if sights lined up, you have a winner), and is in a decent cartridge.

There are some fun plinkers in .22 LR that are Luger copies and would be cheaper as a tin can bouncer gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The only thing that is really good about the Luger IMHO is the angle of the grip in relation to t he axis of the bore. Because of that it tends to point very well for most people.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

The Lugers I have had were very good guns. They do carry very well. Biggest thing is the ammo. They are fussy and the ammo, by some people, should be a little on the warm size. The toggle action works very well. As for jumping around I found they do not. Their recoil is very civilized, throws the brass more or less straight up, They can be good but also finicky as mentioned in regards to magazines. The Swiss military used them in 7.62 Luger caliber, but the German Govt. wanted some more stopping power and went to the 9MM. As long as they are cleaned and lubed properly they will serve very well. I don't know what type of restrictions you may face as to caliber, but I imagine it would also be pricey. Can you get hollow point ammo over there? They usually do like plain ball ammunition. They do have a mushy trigger which a lot of shooters don't like. I imagine there is a Luger discussion board which would offer more information. They did serve a lot of military and police around the world, only thing was cost of manufacture. Hope this helps a little. ATB
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Here are the two I HAD. First one was a very rare 7.62 1906 german commerical with super rare ideal holster and folding stock.
The 2nd is a plain jane that my uncle gave me that he took off somebody when he was in the 82nd. My ex wife liberated it off me when she ran off! I still have the holster, tools and extra magazine.

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

I have not been without a Luger for over 50 years and consider the P.O8 to be one of the few truly classic pistols.

My current pistol is a 1913 DWM. It is 100% reliable with ball, Winchester 115 HP and Cor-Bon DPX ammo. Mine has the best trigger I have ever seen on a Luger. They have a complex trigger and it can be tricky to get a good pull. These pistol are very accurate in spite of the rudimentary sights.

The safety, while positive, was not designed for quick use.

The Luger would not be a top choice for a carry pistol, but if a fellow had one it would do.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I own a few Lugers, but can't see any reason why anyone would even consider them for concealed carry. The safety is slow to use, they aren't the most reliable choice by any means, and any collectors value at all could be destroyed by one small part breaking or just wear and tear to the finish.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nath -

As noted, they can be notoriously finicky on what they will consume. Mine likes 115-grain FMJ - and nothing else. Everything else will jam, alot! It also has a habit of ejecting the brass almost straight up - and slightly back - so it comes raining down on your head! :shock:
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
As noted, they can be notoriously finicky on what they will consume. Mine likes 115-grain FMJ - and nothing else. Everything else will jam, alot!

That's because the Luger was designed to use the 9mm cartridge with with the 115 gr parabolic FMJ bullet. 124 gr FMJ will also generally work. While there are some Lugers that may tolerate other loads and bullet styles, they are rare anomalies.

As also stated, Lugers are mag sensitive. They are large handguns and concealing them is difficult.

They do make for enjoyable plinkers when using 115 gr FMJ parabolic-bulleted ammo. I take mine out maybe once a year. Other 9mm semiautos get fired much more frequently.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thanks fellers :D
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Hillbilly
Levergunner 3.0

luger

Post by Hillbilly »

side point... back in the Luger's day

the weaver stance and two handed shooting postures were not the norm.

The Luger would have been taught in the classic "bulls-eye" form.

body turned to the target.. gun arm extended and free hand on the hip.

Never shot a Luger... but the Ruger MK II has a grip angle that looks the same to me... and I cant shoot the Ruger two-handed for beans.

For a 9mm I'd pick any other of the dozens of 9's out there for carry. Lugers are fussy and built like a watch from what I've heard.

Hill
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I know a lady who is probably one of the premier collectors of Lugers. She carries a Glock 10mm. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

The luger was the first handgun I ever fired. They seem to fit my hand perfect, I have never owned one but I would like to :D . Anyway all the ones I have shot like 115 grn ball, they are a very fun gun to shoot and are quite accurate.
Break on through to the other side!!!
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I have a Stoeger Luger in .22LR. It is the very first handgun I ever bought. It is a blast to shoot. It has never been finicky about any ammo.

I also have a USA made 9mm Luger in stainless, it too is fun but it is finicky about ammo. I forget who made it right now.

I've always loved the Lugers and for the life of me I don't know why I haven't bought one of the old German made models in 9mm.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.