22 RIMFIRE FAVORITES

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Paco
Site Owner

22 RIMFIRE FAVORITES

Post by Paco »

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE 22 RIMFIRE AND WHAT AMMO IS BEST IN IT...? AT LAST COUNT I HAD 6 HANDGUNS AND 5 RIFLES IN 22 RIMFIRE... IN HANDGUNS I LIKE THE KIMBER 22 RF... AND THE CZ452 RIFLE IN 22 RF IS THE MOST ACCURATE I'VE SEEN IN A LONG TIME.... ZAPPER 22 AMMO IS THE MOST ACCURATE IN THE CZ... AND AGUILA MAX IS THE FASTEST WITH ACCURACY... IN THE HANDGUN AGUILA's 60 GRAIN SUBSONIC IS GREAT, VERY LITTLE SOUND AND AT 760 FPS GOOD FOR VERMIN AROUND THE RANCH HOUSE.....WITHOUT NEIGHBORS CALLING 911 ABOUT SHOTS FIRED.... STINGER IS VERY ACCURATE IN THE KIMBER AND WINCHESTER ROUND NOSE COPPER GILDED AND RUN THRU THE ACCURIZER MAKES A RAGGED 10 SHOT HOLE AT 20 YARDS..... PACO :P :D :wink:
PACO/OWNER
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

currently, in my down sized collection, I have two rifles and two pistols in .22lr. I love my Marlin, 39TDS and it loves CCI mini mags and CCI lead. The Springfield M6 is an amazingly accurate little rifle and I feed it the mini mags also. My Freedom Arms .22lr/.22 mag with a 4 1/4 inch barrel will become a favorite should I find the ammo it likes. The S&W three inch barrel lightweight is a perfect little kit gun, especially with the high vis sights. It shoots mini mags very well.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
azrednek
Levergunner

Post by azrednek »

I feel a little out of place, this being a lever action group and I don't have a lever 22. My favorite 22 is my H&R Model 65. It is US surplus marked USMC. I've had some pretty decent offers for it but I just wont part with it. If you're not familiar with it, it is a Marine Corp trainer. It has the heft, feel of the M-1 and M-14. I rarely shoot it and it comes out of the vault to be shown off more than it is used.

I do most my 22 shooting with two Sears 22 auto rifles. One is made by Savage and the other High Standard. Both were purchased used for dirt cheap. I don't care if they get beat up or marked and I'm terrible about keeping them cleaned. Both keep working reliably and shoot accurately.

My favorite 22 handgun is a High Standard Double Nine Convertable. It has been used and abused sine 1972 and keeps working like brand new. I just wish it shot as well as it did when I was in my early 20's and the sights stayed in focus!! A crackshot young relative shot it recently and it still shoots as accurate as it did when I had good eyesight.

As far as ammo goes I usually shoot what ever the Marts have cheap. I can say though any serious 22 shooter should treat himself to an occasional box of high priced Olympic match grade ammo. If wind is not a problem the improvement with the match grade ammo is remarkable especially at long ranges with allot of trajectory.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Restarted my gun collection with these I got last year.
Since the M52 likes Winchester T22 and it shoots well
in the Marlin (older guns like standard velocity),
I have 2 cases of it and will use it in the IJ as well.

1927 Marlin M39

1929 Winchester M52 Pre-A speedlock thats seens National Matches.

1946 Iver Johnson Super Sealed Eight unfired target revolver

1895-1899 Stevens Favorite M17 (7o'clock extracter) needs rebore and will make first custom rifle on this one
Last edited by bsaride on Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I currently have three .22 rimfires a 9422, 9422M and a Browning ATD.

My 9422 shoots well with everything I've tried so far but I mostly use Winchester sub sonics or CB longs. I have not tried much in my 9422M only Winchester 40gr HP & CCI FMJ. My Browning shoots well with Eley & Remington sub sonics by will not work with Winchester sub sonic ammo.

In the good old days when we had pistols I had a Astra Cadix 9 shot D/A revolver, I used Eley HV HP and Stingers.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Henry H001 Lever works greatr with Aguila Super Maximums.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I find the Winchester PowerPoint is the best all-around ammo in my guns being both accurate in nearly every gun and effective on game. I just bought another case of this ammo. It is good stuff.

As to which guns are favorites.... I started out on the M62A, then used Dad's 72 (a bolt gun), I got a chance to shoot a lot of other guns including a Savage 101 (single-shot .22 LR pistol) but bought a M320 as my OWN first .22. That was a great gun for accuracy but it is lacking some pizazz. Of course I have a .22 carbine barrel for my Contender. I guess my very favorite rifle is the Marlin 39A Mountie. It is just a natural and perfect when you must get dinner but want to enjoy it and it is a perfect understudy for my other leverguns. But I like handguns, too. My S&W M422 was the first .22 handgun I actually bought. Then I inherited Dad (and before Dad, Mike's) 10" Ruger MK II and that is a killer on squirrels. I still haven't had a real chance to use my Single-Six as much as I'd like to. It is accurate enough, and fun, but it seems that I haven't gotten to actually shoot it as much as I'd like to. I was distracted by this jewel of a M34-1 and the neat little Bearcat. I like the light little .22s and couldn't pass by this S&W M43 which is neat and capable. Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to really wring it out. I don't think I can pick a favorite. :(
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

My favorite in the handgun is a Diamondback 22 6" which shoots both CCI Green Tags and Win PowerPoints pretty well. I also enjoy shooting both the Smith 648 and Automag II 6" but both of those are 22 WMR and don't have the accuracy or trigger that the Diamondback has. They are fun though and the Automag has an unusually loud and throaty report. When the squirrels start to tear into my pool screen ... they usually succumb to some Super Collibri out ouf the Diamondback at close range.

In rifles, my favorite is a lowly Remington 511. I have a lot of rimfire rifles and handguns but I learned to shoot my father's 511 when I was 10 years old and have put many thousands of rounds through it over the last several decades. For that reason, it is the rifle that I am most accurate with. It likes to feed and shoot the CCI mini-mags fairly well. It's good with the Stingers too but they don't feed as reliably ... the second one in the 5-shot mag will jam about 20% of the time.

My son thinks the 511 is too old fashioned and has adopted an HK-300 in 22 WMR as his rifle. Plus, the polygonally rifled barrel is easier to pull a patch through for him. Now, of course, he wants a scope on it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:My son thinks the 511 is too old fashioned and has adopted an HK-300 in 22 WMR as his rifle. Plus, the polygonally rifled barrel is easier to pull a patch through for him. Now, of course, he wants a scope on it.
darn, he couldn't adopt anything cheaper to shoot? LR is cheap, and a centerfire, he could cast and reload for. I sure miss having Dad pay for my ammo!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I'm lucky that all my .22's seem to like CCI ammo. Generally I use the HP version and have had great luck.

As far as favorite guns, all my .22's are favorites. I've often thought that I could get along very well with only a few good .22's, but then there is the large game hunting and self defense issues that need something else.

At present my .22 supply is down because my son has taken a couple of mine home, but it leaves me a nice duel cylinder Ruger Single-six and a great shooting Browning BL-22 lever gun. I also have a Mdl. 18 S&W and a Ruger 77/22 that is a real tack driver.

Reflecting on my list, perhaps it is time to consider adding another. It has been a while since I bought a good .22. . . .hmmmmm??
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I've got three .22RF handguns; An H&R Sportsman, Ruger Standard Auto, and Ruger OM Super Single-Six. My favorite of the three would have to be the Ruger Standard Auto, followed closely by the Single-Six.
As of the last time I've shot them I got the best groups from three totally dissimilar rounds. The Federal bulk 36gr Coper plated HP bulk, the Federal AutoMatch 40gr Standard Velocity bulk, both as sold by Walmart, and the Aquila Pistol Match ammo.
These three rounds function reliably from my Standard Auto and accurately from my revolvers.

My favorite, and only .22 rifle is a Winchester 9422. It's been so long since I've shot it seriously I don't remember what it liked.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I have three rifles and two pistols in .22 rimfire.
First is a BL-22 that loves CCI stingers.
second is a henry H001 that perfers federal cheap bulk HP's.
third is a ruger 10/22 deluxe that likes both the stingers and cheap federals..
My first pistol is the browning buckmark 5.5 classic. it likes the stingers and velociters best..
the second is a Taurus 941 4in stainless..the amazing thing about this revolver is that it will shoot any .22 magnum ammo very well..
I'm looking for a good .22magnum rifle..Any Ideas??
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Travis Morgan wrote:darn, he couldn't adopt anything cheaper to shoot? LR is cheap, and a centerfire, he could cast and reload for. I sure miss having Dad pay for my ammo!
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't really know the cost of 22 WMR these days as I haven't bought any since the late 90's. I was on a WMR kick back then and picked up several bricks of several types and haven't really put a dent in it. My son is slowly working on it, but it may him take a while. I should check some of the newer stuff out ... it looks like there are more types/loads available now.

Actually, I guess I haven't bought any 22 LR in a while either. I noticed my Win PP is in paper boxes and that the newer stuff seems to be sold in the plastic slip cases like CCI uses. I grabbed some Super Collibri recently but that stuff is relatively cheap.

I did recently discover that they're making 5mm again. I'll feel better about hauling my 592 to the range now.

Senator Schumer would not be happy about my rimfire ammo stockpile. :wink:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That's a very hard one. The one I like the best? My original Ruger 10/22. Why? Because it was the last gun my father gave me before he died when I was 16. It is accurate, a ton of fun to shoot, and will digest just about any .22LR on the market without a hiccup. In a handgun? A toss up between the High Standard Supermatic Citation Model 104 I gave my son or the heavy-barrel Ruger Mark II stainless steel model. Cool guns and very accurate - again, with almost any .22LR fodder - even the cheap stuff. My most accurate .22LR rifle is my Ruger 10/22T. Scary accurate, again, even with the "cheap stuff"! :D
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

My favorite 22 rimfire is a Savage 4C, my favorite ammunition for it is Remington Subsonics/ It is a very accurate combination and very quiet coming out of the 24 inch barrel.
I have a Marlin 39 M that is becoming a close second, I have not settled on an ammo choice for it yet, but it seems to favor Winchester SuperX.

I shoot 22 lr more than all other rounds combined.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

H&R sportman, likes everything I have fed it.
I prefer Win wildcats, and cb longs.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

I have a bunch but the one that goes to the range with me every time is the Marlin 39 Mountie. Hands down my favorite 22 rifle and quite possibly my favorite period.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Favorite 22 is my WW Greener converted Martini. Shoots well with everything but was partial to the older PMC Sidewinders.

Though my new/used '50s vintage Marlin 39a is really growing on me

Favorite pistol is an old Colt Match Target that's been in my family since it was new in the '50s. Shoots the best with standard velocity ammo. Really likes Eley target ammo.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I reckon that my most favorite .22 rifle has to be my old Remington 550-1 that my dad bought new for me in the spring of 1953. He drove to town one Saturday morning and came back with a long box and said to get rid of that widow maker I had traded for. I sold it to a boy down the road and have been shooting the Remington since that day. It will shoot great with any thing I feed it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

I own a Winchester 9422 and three variations of the Marlin 39A in rifles. Currently a Smith model 17 and a Ruger MKII 5 1/2 bull barrel target are my only rimfire handguns. Frankly, while I have shot CCI and have a couple of boxs of ELI in the closet, I usually shoot the Remington and Federal bulk packs, with the Federal being my favorite. I really should spend some time really trying to find out what they like the best.
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

Mine is the Model-55 Single Shot Winchester My dad left me before he passed.
He took it in on a car trade back in 1960. It was the only rifle he ever owned. Thats what he taught me to shoot with. Me and my older brother put alot of squirrels in the frying pan with it. I haven't shot it in a long while, like most of my guns. I just can't seem to find the time anymore. How things change when you get older.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

I never met a 22 that I didn't like really. Favorites include:

Rifles: Wards(Mossberg)47A made only one year: 1937, Ruger 10/22 that I've shot a truckload of ammo through......fun, fun, fun, and now my sons Marlin 39A.

Pistols: H & R Sportman(owned 2) and Ruger Single Six(owned 2).

I wish I had my little Ithaca 49 Single Shot Lever that I had as a kid. I gave it to my brother and never saw it again. Lots of memories of that gun and the Mossberg above.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Steve Collins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steve Collins »

I'm with Hobie; I love my Winchester 62A! It accurately shoots most anything I put in it, so I can't complain. Plus, it was my dad's first gun, so there's a lot of sentimentality attaches as well.

Hobie, do you favor the Lyman or Marble's tang sight? I've been looking at both of them for the 62A, and can't make up my mind!!! :?
Draw quickly, shoot accurately!
S&L Training
www.sandltraining.com

NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Steve Collins wrote:I'm with Hobie; I love my Winchester 62A! It accurately shoots most anything I put in it, so I can't complain. Plus, it was my dad's first gun, so there's a lot of sentimentality attaches as well.

Hobie, do you favor the Lyman or Marble's tang sight? I've been looking at both of them for the 62A, and can't make up my mind!!! :?
My 62A has the original Lyman and I put a Marbles on the 06. I'd say that if you can't get a vintage Lyman 2, get the Marbles. Windage adjustment beats shimming, too! :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Saw this little gem a Winchester M1906, at a local gun store, in 2002, I bought it to replace the one I gave away to an old hunting buddy on his 65th birthday, back in 1989.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

My favorite is a Remington M66. It is accurate and reliable. It is a plinking, small game gun and it performs satisfactorily with every ammo I have ever used in it but I am not very demanding. If it consistentlydrops rabbits and similar sized game at 50-65 yards I am satisfied. I am not one to obsess over a tenth of an inch one way or the other.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My favorite.

Shoots just about anything well. Does very well with CCI mini mags.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

bsaride wrote:Restarted my gun collection with these I got last year.
1927?

I didn't think records existed for these. I would assume then this is a S prefix which I understand was from 1925-1932. Is there more information available or is this a SWAG based on the highest number observed and extrapolating? Any further information would be GREATLY appreciated and please don't take the word SWAG as any negative comment it's certainly not my intent, my whole world runs that way....

Best Regards,
David.

1927 Marlin M39
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

DavidFagan wrote:
bsaride wrote:Restarted my gun collection with these I got last year.
1927?

I didn't think records existed for these. I would assume then this is a S prefix which I understand was from 1925-1932. Is there more information available or is this a SWAG based on the highest number observed and extrapolating? Any further information would be GREATLY appreciated and please don't take the word SWAG as any negative comment it's certainly not my intent, my whole world runs that way....

Best Regards,
David.

1927 Marlin M39
IIRC the date came from the seller and had it confirmed to the year range
mentioned above. S prefix is right.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 22 RIMFIRE FAVORITES

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I just realized that I have no pictures of my .22's...

Anyhoo - I've got the following IIRC:

Ruger MkII Anniversary
Ruger New Bearcat
Ruger Single Six convertible (.22LR/.22Mag)
Ruger 10-22 (with graphite barrel, hogue stock, 4x scope)
Taurus m66 (Winchester pump clone - old model sans the wing safety)
M69 Romanian trainer

I think that's it.

Interestingly, one of my favorites to shoot is the old Romanian military trainer - has flip-up rear sights like a big bore rifle - for 50 and 100 meters. This old rifle (that was selling for $70 a copy) is very accurate! It likes Winchester wildcats better than anything else - in that price range.

As far as my favorite laod, I really like the CCI Velocitor rounds - they are zippy, and quite accurate in most of my .22s. A real winner - I hope they keep them in their line.

I've owned a lot of different .22's but they seem to get sold off. The above have been with me for some time, so I guess they made the "cut". :mrgreen:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Jimbo
Levergunner

Post by Jimbo »

I have an old marlin model 75C that they haven't made in 20 years- looks just like the model 60, but with a short barrel. Its no tack driver, but it does everything I need. I need to try out Paco's accurizer. I've shot all kinds of ammo through it, and still like the federal cheapo stuff about the best. I'd use CCI stuff but its pricey, and the whole idea behind a .22 is to have some fun, cheap blasting. :D
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I too, like Paco have found the PMC Zappers to be a very accurate round. Five years ago I dug out my TC 10" octagon barrel 22LR barrel to do some plinking. Decided to find out what 22's the barrel liked. tried all sorts of brands, had a box of 20 year old Zappers. The barrel digested them and shot very tinney groups at 25 yards. Then I was on a quest to find more. Finally found a brick 60 miles from home at a gun shop after calling every store I could find in the Phone book. Short Story, I was in Nevada on business.Went to PMC and bought a case of 5000. They also shoot very well in my Ruger Single six, my Remington 588 rifle, my vintage Remington Sportsmaster 512.
And I have a 25" custom TC rifle barrel, it likes the cheap WalMart Remington 22 golden hollow points. Non of the other 22's I own like the Remington's of any style or flavor.

I have a Ciener 22 conversion for my Browning 40 S&W Hy-Power. In this pistol I shoot Winchester Super X.

The model 34 S&W 4 3/4" Kit gun likes every thing except remingtons. This is the tack driver of all the 22's I own. Love the 34 S&W, this one was made in the late 1950's early 60's. It is deadly with the 60 grain Aguila's.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Here are my .22's:

Winchester Model 52 sporter (recent production) -- very accurate, especially with Wolf Match ammo

Winchester 9422 high grade -- likes Winchester Super X and Wolf and Federal match ammo

Winchester 1885 Low Wall (recent production) -- likes everything I've fed it so far

Winchester 1890 .22 short -- accurate with CCI shorts

Ruger Single Six Convertible -- Shoots most ammo well

The most accurate .22 I own is my Browning 1885 BPCR in .45-70 when fitted with a Dave Crossno .22 adapter. It especially likes Wolf and Federal Match ammo
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

This was good in 1934 -

Now, these are good -

But, this is tops -

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

If you get a chance to buy a Marlin model 39 from jdad, do it.
And that's all I've got to say about that.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

When I was a kid, I would have given the right side of my male anatomy for a S&W K22 and a Marlin 39A. Still have all my anatomical parts and at least one of both of these guns for all my adult life. Maybe, patients is a virtue?
Steve
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
Rodney Lang
Levergunner

Post by Rodney Lang »

In 1967 I walked into an army surplus store in Montreal and $ 90.00 later walked out with a new, in the box, Browning .22 semi automatic made in Belgium. The next year I mounted a big game 3X9 Bushnell scope and now practice on no-see-um flies at 25 yards. It seems to shoot CCI Stingers the most accurately and I've taken my share of eastern coyotes using camo and game calls. Mostly one shot kills at 50 to 75 yards with the hollow point Stingers. In 2004 I was grouse hunting up north ( I use my .22 for this ) and was charged by a sow black bear. It turned out not to be a false charge and from about 40 yds I started shooting, aiming for its head. At 10 yds the bear dove head first into the trail dirt, grunted a few times and expired. It turns out that three of my slugs had entered the brain cavity, I don't know how many shots I fired in all but I was shaken for a good hour afterwards. Still have that little gun and have kept it in excellent shape over the years.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

My favorite .22 handgun would be this old Single-Six. I got it cheap many years ago because the LR cylinder was missing and sent it off to Ruger for a replacement. It lives in my range bag permanently and is shot just about every week. I can hit clay birds at 50 yards usually, and at a hundred often enough to keep it interesting, from a rest. In earlier times it would have been offhand.

I bought a new Marlin 39 back in the late '70s that is a good companion to the Ruger and shoots just about any brand of ammo well. I think the magazine tube has a leak though, because it seems to get empty almost as fast as I fill it. :lol:

Jack
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Nice!
Steve
Saltcreek
Levergunner

Post by Saltcreek »

My favorite for banging around regular use is my Marlin 39 (1897 Texan octagon barrel) which is surprisingly accurate. My favorite 22 pistol is the S&W Model 63 4 inch barrel kit gun which is very handy, although the Ruger Mark 1 5-1/2 inch barrel is second.
The Kimber 22 Hunter is the most accurate (1/4 inch groups), but not as handy as the Texan. For blasting there is the 1980s Marlind 60 and the Ruger 10/22. Kids (well not kids anymore) get to play with the Remington 581 and the Springfield 1922M2 which I grew up on.
All except the Kimber shoot a little better with cheap ammo if I use Paco's Accurizer tool.
Help your own self, the Government is to busy savin' thierselves.
bogus bill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bogus bill »

Whew! I finaly learned how to reregister. My favorite .22 is a rare octogon barrel winchester 61 that I learned to shoot as a kid. Dad bought this back in the 1930s. Here is a snap of it and also a pristine winchester 63 end of production (1957) and another favorite a model 1890 wrf converted to 22 wmrf.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

When I finally broke out of pre-1898 it was for an engraved rifle and I've sort-of stayed there but everything still a bit older then me....
Since it is leverguns forum I'll start there a
Marlin 39 guessing late 20's special order... (I need to get some better pictures of this)
Remington Model 12-F
Remington Model 121-F - like new, never fired, wish he had the box...
And I'll be darned I don't have a picture of my Remington 12-F w/ Gold inlay I'll have to edit that in later.... It's the one pictured in John's book....
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Boy those are some beautiful rifles!
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

DavidFagan, thanks for sharing.
Steve
A5Mag12
Levergunner

Post by A5Mag12 »

This is my favorite .22, my Father bought it new in '58-'59?.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Still looks in brand new condition, great!

I just looked at these at the NRA show, I think the fancy one they had there was the top grade and I know it's laser engraved but it was purty...

Thanks to all that left me comments as well, trust me it took a long time to find those, you just don't find those hanging at your local gunstore, in IL your lucky to find a gunstore...
vonfatman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by vonfatman »

Mr. Fagan,
Wow. Those are beautiful guns. Just beautiful!
I have a couple three more modest rimfires I enjoy:

Bob
"Onward thru the Fog"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Sorry Paco. Unanswerable question.

Each of my Rimfires have very specific purposes that never really cross paths.

My Rem 513T Matchmaster makes a lousy field gun... and my Ruger 96/22 makes a lousy NRA Smallbore gun.

My recently aquired Hi Standard Sentinal so far hasn't been used for anything but Colibri's in the basement and my Pheonix Arms is a throwdown that has 25yd minute of popcan accuracy... but it is a fun plinker.

I still have my Accurate Arms .22 Upper for a Glock 27, and it was a lot of accurate fun with Rem Golden Bullets & Aquila SSTs, but I don't have the Glock any more...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This is a Glenfield 60. Photo was copied from Gunbroker.com as I'm currently bidding on it.

I had one years ago but sold it when I rec'd USAF orders overseas. It was accurate, dependable, and FUN to shoot.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!