Magnet Fishing for....... Sniper Rifles?!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Magnet Fishing for....... Sniper Rifles?!

Post by Old No7 »

Whoa there, somebody dumped quite a few grand into a FL canal...

Old No7

Florida Boy Reels In Sniper Rifles While Magnet Fishing With Grandpa

An 11-year-old boy who went magnet fishing with his grandpa managed to reel in two sniper rifles out of a Florida canal.

Grandpa Duane Smith, 61, wanted to strengthen his bond with his 11-year-old grandson by going magnet fishing at a South Miami-Dade canal on Sunday but was stunned by what they caught, according to the Miami Herald. Having stumbled across a YouTube video about magnet fishing, Smith thought it would be a great activity and so the pair dropped their five-pound magnet into the C-102 canal in Princeton.

While the two were hoping to find something valuable hiding in the canal, they were stunned to discover two .50-caliber Barrett sniper rifles, according to the news outlet. After just five minutes, the dynamic duo fished out the first of the two sniper rifles. Smith told the Miami Herald: "I figured, since it was our first time, this was beginner's luck."

Keen to continue in the hopes they would find even more unusual items, the pair managed to land another catch, an identical sniper rifle. Both sniper rifles were not loaded, did not have any ammunition and their serial numbers on the lower receivers had been filed off. Smith, a former army infantry officer, told the outlet: "Whoever did this is not your run-of-the-mill criminal."

He called the Miami-Dade County Police Department who sent down two officers to retrieve the sniper rifles.

B Sniper.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Magnet Fishing for....... Sniper Rifles?!

Post by Pitchy »

Cool, i wish i`d thought of magnet fish years ago when i could get out and do it, lots of lakes around here ya could drop one in who knows what you could find. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

THIS is one more reason to have non-magnetic stainless firearms, you can safely store them in a canal . . .
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Grizz wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:43 am THIS is one more reason to have non-magnetic stainless firearms, you can safely store them in a canal . . .

Find a non-magnetic stainless gun and I'll buy it. They don't exist. The non-magnetic stuff is pretty much limited to appliances in everyday use. The stuff used to make guns -- as magnetic as any other type of iron alloy.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Pisgah wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:17 am
Grizz wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:43 am THIS is one more reason to have non-magnetic stainless firearms, you can safely store them in a canal . . .

Find a non-magnetic stainless gun and I'll buy it. They don't exist. The non-magnetic stuff is pretty much limited to appliances in everyday use. The stuff used to make guns -- as magnetic as any other type of iron alloy.
they exist in both, I'll get back to you when I can get around to it
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I would have never said a word!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The problem is, with the serial numbers filed off, it is going to be a felony to be in possession of them. On the other hand, even if they have serial numbers, that introduces the other problem, which means you are likely in possession of a stolen firearm, also a criminal offense. It would be much better to find a big bag of gold coins or something...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Still would have never said a word... :wink:

Well, maybe turned one in and looked to see what happen and if I could get any other details. But I would have kept one just in case the bad times.