Firearm errors in books

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Firearm errors in books

Post by wvfarrier »

I read quite a bit, we rarely ever watch TV in this house and the book I am currently reading has some glaring firearm issues. Its pretty clear that the writer knows very little about single action revolvers and how the function. Its distracting enough to take away from the actual story. So my question to ya'll......do firearm errors make a book unreadable to you?
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
JimT
Shootist

Re: Firearm errors in books

Post by JimT »

wvfarrier wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:28 am I read quite a bit, we rarely ever watch TV in this house and the book I am currently reading has some glaring firearm issues. Its pretty clear that the writer knows very little about single action revolvers and how the function. Its distracting enough to take away from the actual story. So my question to ya'll......do firearm errors make a book unreadable to you?
Some do.
Depends how egregious they are.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Like 'jimT' it depends on how bad it is and how much of it is in the book.

Now TV, I just laugh at how stupid some things are
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

To me it casts doubt on how accurate the other things are that I know less about, if it is a novel the odd mistake is acceptable but shows lack of research on the part of the author. I once worked for a writer and film director who was also a shooter, he hated mistakes about firearms.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

It's any thing a person might be an expert in, for us it's guns. My dad was a professional pilot and he would always point out flubs in the aviation shows or movies.
Next time you see actors driving just look at their hands, if ya cranked back and forth on the wheel driving down the road you would be causing accidents, rolling over. It's the fact of people are dumb...not just writers but editors as well.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If it is a few years off availability and the type of firearm isn't important to the plot (i.e. using a '94 in 1890) I probably won't notice, but I'm sure if a movie about the Alamo had a Glock in it I'd be disturbed...!

HOWEVER what really ticks me off is how 'casual firearms use' will happen in movies, such as a father and son who are having a conversation while they happen to be skeet shooting or something, and it ALWAYS means that later on there will be a crime or accident involving those guns or individuals. Now if they were bowling or fishing or playing tennis, it's just a hobby or sport or passing time, but if they are hunting or target shooting, it won't just be in the plot for naught. That subliminal message comes across to the audience as "If there are ever guns involved as a hobby, sport, or whatever - they will also be misused and harm someone..." If that same dad and kid were having the conversation while fishing, it wouldn't automatically mean someone would drown or get blinded by a fish-hook in the eye later in the movie... :roll:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've not read any books with enough detail in them to make me wonder about the writer's gun knowledge. I have seen plenty of movies with horrible mistakes to make me turn the channel though. Like just yesterday when I'm watching an old western on Grit channel and the hero is trying to buy a bunch of rifles in late Civil War era, and they're 1892 and 1894 Winchesters!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I usually ignore errors about firearms if the rest of the book is good. For example, Louis L'Amour was obviously not a gun person, but his books were great descriptions of countryside and horseback travel. I pay no attention to where his hero can nick someone on the earlobe from 300 yards with open sights and a lever action rifle. Hitting the opponent at 300 yards in the chest would be more likely. John Wayne was a gun guy. So what if his rifle was not period correct. He readily admitted that it was all for the show. His pistols were usually period correct. Richard Boone was also one who tried to get his firearms period correct. Kevin "Chuck" Conners was another who tried for period correct firearms.

I read the Jack Reacher books for fun. The author of those books comes across to me as anti gun.
Clive Cussler owned and shot guns. He occasionally referenced things which only a few would know. In one book, though, someone is fishing with a Bassarino lure. The lure is actually a Bass Oreno. Editing probably messed up the name. Cussler did sometimes make mistakes, but not too often.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

In the current book I am reading, a Deputy Marshal "swings out the cylinder on a Colt SAA" proceeds to empty the cartridges and then..........checks the chamber for a round 🤣🤣🤣🤣
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I can overlook the mistakes of ignorant writers. But here's what gets me, and it's epitomized in Dirty Harry. Now Harry is a dead shot. Throughout the movie he makes shots that are spectacular. Then at the end when he's chasing the Andrew Robinson he can't hit the broad side of a barn.
Last edited by jeepnik on Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Stephen Hunter got his gun stuff right.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

WVFARRIER, apparently he was using a Colt DAA, the often forgotten (double action army). :D
Rumble.com/ hickock45
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

"If it is a few years off availability and the type of firearm isn't important to the plot (i.e. using a '94 in 1890) I probably won't notice, but I'm sure if a movie about the Alamo had a Glock in it I'd be disturbed...!"

Not long ago I watched a so-called History Channel program on WW2. US soldiers on D-Day were armed with Mosin Nagant rifles; by the time of the Battle of the Bulge, troopers of the 101st were armed with flintlock rifles.

This is absolutely true, and I was too disgusted to stay with it and see who they say won the war...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

JimT wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:33 am
wvfarrier wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:28 amI read quite a bit, we rarely ever watch TV in this house and the book I am currently reading has some glaring firearm issues. Its pretty clear that the writer knows very little about single action revolvers and how the function. Its distracting enough to take away from the actual story. So my question to ya'll......do firearm errors make a book unreadable to you?
Some do.
Depends how egregious they are.
Aye, likewise. It also depends on the age of the book/film. As an interesting aside, good article by Stephen Hunter in the recent NRA magazine on the development of his character Bob Lee Swaggart, ("Point of Impact"/book or "Shooter"/movie).
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!