Got some New Furniture

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Got some New Furniture

Post by AJMD429 »

...not the sittin-on kind though... :D
6112.jpeg
I like the very lightweight minimalist forend for a lightweight gun like this 300 Blackout with old-fashioned style upper, and the grip has the nice Hogue non-slip surface, but what's really nice is the rear stock. The Hogue feels much more solid than a Magpul and has no rattle. Plus it's got six flush quick detach mounts already on it whereas with the Magpul they stick out and you have to buy and install them separately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Got some New Furniture

Post by 2ndovc »

Looks nice Doc!
I sold off a few ARs at the beginning of the most recent panic. Looks like it's about time to start buying again.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, they're actually pretty cheap still right now. It's ammo that's expensive and hard to find. I thought I'd save my reloads for hunting or serious shooting, but pick up some 38 Special for plinking, and the only thing less than a dollar around was Russian steel cased full metal jacket round nose. I did buy a box of 50 just because it's against my religion to walk out of a gun store without buying at least one thing. Generic AR lowers were $50 or so, with complete firearms running $600 or so. Of course they had the fancy name-brand ones like Spike's Tactical for two or three times the price.

From what I can tell if you get a good barrel and bolt carrier group, most of the other stuff doesn't have to be high-end in order to have a functioning firearm. The weak link with high volume shooting seems to be the gas tube, although if you're shooting rapidly and continuously enough to melt the gas tube you probably will run out of ammunition first. I really don't like the charging handle design of AR's, and I do tend to replace those with 'premium' ones (that are ambidextrous and/or easier to get hold of). The charging handle is awkward to use and the design just seems really fragile and prone to breakage, although I've got to admit I've never broken one, nor talked to anyone who uses their firearm professionally who has broken one.

I've got to figure out a way to raffle off a couple 1,000 round cases of 300 Blackout ammo (maybe one subsonic one supersonic), only have me be the one who gets them, and everybody else pay for them. Then I get to shoot my nice little olive green gun a lot more. When you only have a couple hundred rounds of ammunition it tends to make you want to ration it. :(
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I like mine simple too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For one you'd be using at close ranges and you want to be lightweight it makes sense to stick with the old-fashioned design. Having a carry handle instead of a flip-up rear site is still the same height (determined by the front sight post in both cases), a lot more durable, gives you another way to carry the firearm if you so choose, and there are a number of ways you can still add an optic or red dot or laser if you feel the need. Ghost ring iron sights are pretty hard to beat unless you need really precise aiming.

What would be really cool would be a Marble's Bullseye rear with a durable fiberoptic front; since they have the extra-large ghost ring aperture as well as the inner precision one, it's the best of both worlds for speed and accuracy.
Screenshot_20220302-194218-439.png
It would be so awesome to combine the two sites in this picture...

https://ultradyneusa.com/product/c4-fol ... ght-combo/

Maybe using the Ultradyne without an aperture would be close to the Marbles in speed and accuracy. I could see myself bridging the top with JB-Weld and filing it down to match the aluminum ears.... :D
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

What a classic old school retro carbine. Thats what an AR should look like. That helps me with a decision about flat top, or integral front sight and gas block with carry handle rear sight. thanks for this pic! todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I agree, no need for the rails, although I have learned to like the Mid length gas system.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that looks great Doc. no-rattle is a good thing because the magpul rattle might not call the deer in, or might turn them into wary ghosts . . . or call a squad into your hide
What would be really cool would be a Marble's Bullseye rear with a durable fiberoptic front; since they have the extra-large ghost ring aperture as well as the inner precision one, it's the best of both worlds for speed and accuracy.
the folding HK front sight combined with the larger aperture rear or the marbles makes a pretty good self centering sight picture. the open sight lets a lot of light onto the post, but even the 91 rifle with the circle front makes a good open sight. i'd say as good as the marbles, of which i have a couple. remember the genesis from the G3, full auto. i think it'd work like a spitfire sight . . .
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, you have excellent taste. Your carbine could not look more no-nonsense and capable. 8)
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here was the other option I thought about after I spent some time on the internet saying what the experts recommended...

Mall-Ninja-AR-15.jpg

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

there Ya go! quadruple battery redundancy . . .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Now, that's my kind of furniture! :D
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now that handy little carbine weighs 14 pounds and is the size of a Samsonite suitcase ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I like the old school look with the "carry handle" but since boot camp, I can't bring myself to carry it by the carry handle. That was a big no no and would cost you a lot of pushups! Never knew why...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

100 yards off a rest using the small aperture
IMG_20220305_170956265~2.jpg
For some reason that won't post correctly. The muzzle of the firearm is pointing up, so they were all in good windage alignment with one shot a bit lower.