Levergun Hog, First one! - Long...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Levergun Hog, First one! - Long...

Post by cnjarvis »

Early last week the wife told me that she, her mother and my daughter were going to have a “girls’ night” on Friday and that I was free to do as I wished. I was initially going to hang out with a friend and have a guy’s night but elected to take a little hunting trip instead.

I was getting pretty stoked about going out last Friday afternoon when we had storms move through the area where the farm is located Thursday night. A quick check of the Oklahoma Mesonet revealed that the property I usually hunt had received nearly 2” of rain. @$%! I don’t have 4WD and if it rains very much, I can’t reach the property as the roads are not paved and barely have gravel on them. Friday afternoon after mulling it over I decided to go ahead and go out, if nothing else I could check on my grandmother who had lost power the night before due to the weather. I left home around 3 pm and checked on my grandmother and found that the power was back on and she had gone to town. Having done that, I continued on to the farm. Miraculously, when I arrived there at about 5 pm the roads were almost dry. I knew I wouldn’t have long to hunt but figured that I’d have at least 4 hours of light. I changed into my camo, loaded the rifle, grabbed my backpack and headed out At this point I should probably mention that the rifle was my Win. M94 Trail’s End in 45 Colt loaded with 240 gr. Hornady XTP Mags over 27.5 gr. H110 for an avg. vel. of 1900 fps. Anyway, about 200 yds. from the truck I realized I didn’t have my flashlight. *&%@ Turn around, go back and get the flashlight. (something about wandering around in the dark where wild pigs roam makes me nervous…) With flashlight in hand I headed back out to the draw where my corn feeder is located to hunt. The draw runs north-south so I had to walk the fenceline to the west and then approach the draw from the side to avoid having my scent blow straight down the draw. I crept in cautiously glassing for pigs down the draw which was thick with brush and trees. No pigs so I found a good spot and made myself comfortable. About an hour into the hunt I decided to go ahead and download the photos from my trail cam with the laptop computer I brought when I realized: Double !#%@, I left the key to the lock on my camera back at the truck. This really wasn’t looking like my day. I took a moment to clear a few branches to gain a better view and returned to my spot to wait patiently. At 9:05 I decided that I had been patient enough, that I wasn’t going to see any hogs and I was tired of being drained by the local mosquito population so I packed up and started toward the truck. About half way there I topped a rise in the wheat field I’d been hunting next to and saw 3 black lumps in the wheat about 50 yards away. Were those pigs or bedded calves? The neighboring pasture has angus and black-baldie cattle and the fence is in less than ideal condition so it was entirely possible that those could be calves. I took a knee, set the rifle against the other knee and started to pull up the binoculars when the largest lump lifted its head – PIG! I quickly lowered the binos, brought the rifle to bear and aimed for the biggest of the three but held my shot. I took a moment to compose myself because I was more than a little excited and I didn’t want to rush and blow the shot. I steadied myself, drew a careful bead on the hog’s boiler room and squeezed. At the shot, I saw an orange fireball the size of a softball at the muzzle and a split second later the hogs took off at full tilt back toward the pasture from whence they’d come. I took two more follow-up shots at the hog for insurance but neither one connected and I thought to myself that I really don’t want to chase a wounded pig into the brush and I really don’t want to have to come back in the morning. With that in mind I started walking toward where I had last seen them and found the pig laying about 5 feet from the edge of the wheat field, he'd only gone 30 yds. Woohoo, first pig!! And with a levergun to boot. I walked back to the truck, got an 8’ cam-buckle tie-down strap and headed back to the pig to drag him out. I had to drag it 300 yds. before I could back the truck up to it and drag it another 300 yds. to a place where I could load it up. Once loaded the hog was as long from snout to rear as the bed was wide. I gutted it, packed it with 6 bags of ice and headed home. I dropped it off at the processor the next morning where we put it on the scales… 150 #’s field dressed. Not bad.

After boring you with the story, now we get to the good part: The photos!

2row
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Levergun Hog, First one! - Long...

Post by 2row »

That sure looks like FUN to me an a nice Hog tooboot. Good going Buddy Robert
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good job!! Nice pig. Washington State doesn't have ferral pigs so I'm rather ignorant. I suspect there's a lot of factors involved, feed, age, sex, etc.. But I'm curious how do most the pigs in your area taste? Like domestic or gamey?
Old Law Dawg
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

Thats either a really nice pig, or a really small truck. :) Good job, congrats. Kinda wish I knew where to go to hunt those.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

kimwcook wrote:Good job!! Nice pig. Washington State doesn't have ferral pigs so I'm rather ignorant. I suspect there's a lot of factors involved, feed, age, sex, etc.. But I'm curious how do most the pigs in your area taste? Like domestic or gamey?
I'll let you know when I get a chance to put my chompers on this one. I've never eaten wild ham either but this one is grain fed judging by the bare spots in the wheat field.
ceb wrote:Thats either a really nice pig, or a really small truck. :) Good job, congrats. Kinda wish I knew where to go to hunt those.
Well, it is a Toyota Tacoma... I'd lean towards small truck (or a little of both).
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Great story.....
but you forgot one thing!
When and wheres the BBQ? :lol: :lol:
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Nice job! That'll be a good eatin porker. Make up some sausage for sure!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Great story, great photos, great pig! Thanks...
Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Nice job, CN! And another tribute to the good ol' 45 Colt!

-Tutt
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Nice pig, good job. thanks for sharing the story and the pics.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Lots of bacon there! Congrats!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

That'll do!
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Good hunting and a good post. Congratulation on your first hog, it's a job well done.
Ricky

DWWC
243dave
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 243dave »

CN , Did that 240 xtp mag exit ? I've been shoot'n the 300 xtp mags on deer and I know they will shoot length-wise on them. They don't seem to expand much, not like the regular xtp's. By the way,nice hog. Dave
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

You da man! Nice shooting!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

AWESOME!! WEll done.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

243dave wrote:CN , Did that 240 xtp mag exit ? I've been shoot'n the 300 xtp mags on deer and I know they will shoot length-wise on them. They don't seem to expand much, not like the regular xtp's. By the way,nice hog. Dave
The bullet went in on the front of the left shoulder and penetrated the far rib cage leaving a hole about 2" in the ribs and a small exit wound on the off side behind the right shoulder. The bullet devastated the heart. I'll post pix later this evening if anyone wants to see. I did notice some copper fragments in the heart in the photo.

I did notice that this bullet did not appear to expand at all on a coyote that I shot. Same load data.
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

What the hell do you mean "boring story"? It was a GREAT story!!! AND you have meat on the table as well!! GOOD JOB!!! Gives me encouragement when I go hog-hunting with my '92 in .45 Colt. BTW, if anyone is in the SW Wisconsin area, there's 5 counties that have ferril pigs. They're considered unprotected nuisance animals & believe it or not, there's NO LIMIT, & NO SEASON, if I understand the situation correctly, you can hunt them year-round!!! The catch is, you gotta get the property owners' permission to hunt his land. jd45
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent! Congratulations - and I concur - sounds like a pit BBQ in the making!!! :D
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Real nice job and excellent report! Congratulations!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Congrats on the Hog :D !Nice post "n pics 8) .
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Great story, great hunt, great pics. Thanks for sharing.
ED
Yer never too old
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Congrats and good shot dude, pretty much perfect. Smart looking thumper you have there>
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
fgarnold
Levergunner

Post by fgarnold »

Nice pig!!!! but better looking rifle. Good shootin.
Marlin 1895G Rules
Team Hornady Member
NAHC
NRA
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

kimwcook wrote:Good job!! Nice pig. Washington State doesn't have ferral pigs so I'm rather ignorant. I suspect there's a lot of factors involved, feed, age, sex, etc.. But I'm curious how do most the pigs in your area taste? Like domestic or gamey?
Just wait a few years and those pigs will show up. They're getting to be almost everywhere now. With no natural predators, and the fact that they breed like rabbits, they are quickly overtaking the country. I can't speak for the pig in the picture, but all the wild hogs I've eaten taste fine.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

They're considered unprotected nuisance animals & believe it or not, there's NO LIMIT, & NO SEASON, if I understand the situation correctly, you can hunt them year-round!!! The catch is, you gotta get the property owners' permission to hunt his land.
Sounds just like Texas.
cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

jd45 wrote:They're considered unprotected nuisance animals & believe it or not, there's NO LIMIT, & NO SEASON, if I understand the situation correctly, you can hunt them year-round!!! The catch is, you gotta get the property owners' permission to hunt his land. jd45
True here too. Year round season, no bag limit and no hunting license required except during deer season.

From the ODWC website:
Hog Hunting on Private Lands

Hogs may be taken year-round on private land during daylight hours with the landowner’s permission. Hunters must comply with all current season regulations.

Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: No hunting license required, except during youth deer gun, deer muzzleloader, deer gun, special antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope (in open areas) seasons, hunters must possess a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.

Landowners may obtain a free hog hunting permit from the local game warden for use during those deer seasons listed above.

Gotta love that!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I think I like wild pork better than domestic. Looks like you got 150lbs of meat that will make your lips beat your brains out.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.