Remembering Mel Tappan ('Survival Guns' author)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Remembering Mel Tappan ('Survival Guns' author)

Post by AJMD429 »

A book I read as a teen, and which motivated me to generate my own 10-gun 'battery' list when I was about 15; I'd already gotten the first few, and knew a gun shop where used guns were reasonably priced.

My teenage-kid 'Tappan List' emphasized sharing ammunition, as you can see:

22 LR - Ruger 10/22
22 LR - Ruger Mark-I Pistol
44 Mag - Marlin 1894 caarbine
44 Mag - Ruger Super Blackhawk
223 Rem - Ruger Mini-14
223 Rem - Thompson Contender Pistol
12 Gauge - Mossberg 500 8-shot
12 Gauge - Ithaca M-66 breakopen
6mm Rem - Ruger M77V
7mm Rem Mag - Ruger No.1

I managed to get all the above items accumulated from age 12 to age 20 with a bunch of farm jobs and saving.

If I started out again, I think it would be similar. In the order I'd get them, I'd start this time around with a Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt/ACP, because it would meet the "if only one gun" requirement pretty well (self protection, home protection, hunting, recreation). I would expand from there, overlapping ammunition a bit less aggressively.

45 Colt/ACP - Ruger Redhawk - good for 'all things' as a first gun

223 Rem - AR-15 18" with ACOG 4x sight, 45 degree irons, good trigger - Gemtech Trek suppressor - hard to beat as an all-around home protection gun that doubles for mid-size game and fun recreational shooting

22 LR - Ruger Charger 12" threaded to share Trek suppressor - as an 'only rimfire' it makes the most sense; almost as accurate as a 10/22 carbine but more compact, multiple sight options, and if needed can be 'SBR' setup

357 Mag - Marlin 1894 CST carbine with Red Dot sight and etched reticle backup, Streamlight Light/Laser - threaded to share Mystic suppressor - Good for mid-size game, easier to shoot at longer range than the Redhawk, great home-protection gun; could set up a 45 Colt 1894 similarly but couldn't share suppressor with the 300 Blackout

12 Gauge - Mossberg 500 8-shot - good all-around shotgun, more for home protection but ok for hunting

9mm - Taurus 92 Pistol - the 1911-style safety is better than the Beretta; time-proven design and I don't pick a CCW gun to fit wardrobe, but rather adapt wardrobe to fit the gun

300 Blackout - AR-15 10" with Holosight, 45 degree irons, Streamlight Light/Laser - Liberty Cans Mystic Suppressor - IMHO the perfect home protection setup; can 'SBR' it with folding stock

375 Ruger - Ruger Alaskan with 2-7x Redfield - nearly as flat-shooting as the 270 Win, but as powerful as 375 H&H; for big stuff with fangs or claws that needs to know it got shot

500 S&W - Big Horn Armory 89 lever action carbine - not as long-range useable but similar purposes as the 375 Ruger but faster shooting, more capacity, and with right loads can cover anything upstream of the 357 Mag levergun

Muzzleloader - Savage Model 10ML - many others would do, but this is one that the manufacturer dares to officially sanction smokeless powder loads for

That 'ten gun battery' would serve a person well. Tons of other alternatives, and of course if one has a handgun in 45 Colt, then one 'needs' a rifle or carbine in it as well, and if one has a 357 Mag carbine, one 'needs' a handgun in that chambering, and everyone should have a Glock 9mm. And if your Redhawk can shoot 45 ACP, you need a 1911, maybe with a MechTech 1911 carbine adapter so you have a 45 ACP revolver, pistol, AND carbine. And OF COURSE everyone should have a 30-30 levergun; that goes without saying. Pretty soon 'ten guns' doesn't seem like it is enough. But it sure can be a good start...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Re: Remembering Mel Tappan ('Survival Guns' author)

Post by JimT »

I read that also! I remember he had a place in Colorado and a place in Mexico to "bug out" to if need be. Then he died unexpectedly. I wonder if he was prepared for that?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

He lived in Southern Oregon, either near Rogue River or Merlin, can't recall which. His widow, Nancy sold his books for a while.
I just read an article in Backwoodsman where the author makes the case for a flintlock smoothbore as the "one gun" that you can pretty much depend on in a primer/ammo shortage.
There are some really fine Youtubes on safely making black powder; not that long ago it was one of those "NOOOOO! You'll blow yourself up!" kind of deals.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:14 am There are some really fine Youtubes on safely making black powder; not that long ago it was one of those "NOOOOO! You'll blow yourself up!" kind of deals.
I have a pound of home-made black powder a friend made and gave me. Haven't tried it yet. He said his was not a powerful as Goex but worked well. I will give it try and see how it does in the 1862 Police and in the Dragoon.
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

I remember him also. I must be about the same age as the Doctor. When I recall him, I remember an article he did on the HK-91. Among other things, he shot ammo out of it coated wit tooth paste. Maybe to approximate brass corrosion.
I also recall reading he was badly diabetic and died from complications from it. Supposedly, he cut his foot in his own swimming pool during a party after someone accidentally dropped a champagne glass in it.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think another firearm one could add to the category would be a 50 caliber or 45 caliber air rifle, especially if it could be manually charged. Soft metal or whatever projectile you can fit in a sabot would work.

That's one of the reasons I chose the 500 Smith & Wesson as the cartridge for the large bore lever action, although 45 caliber would certainly do. In a pinch if you have primers you could reload those straight wall cases at low pressure for a long long time and shoot pretty much anything you could fit in a plastic muzzleloader sabot. The problem with most 45 Colt lever actions is that unlike the 500 Smith & wesson, the chamber specifications are significantly larger than the brass specifications, so you do get a lot of stretch of the brass. However if you don't mind having funny looking cases you can minimally resize those 45 Colt cases and use them for a long time.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

I remember Mel Tappan's articles on survival guns as well. He tested a number of semi auto centerfire rifles under severe conditions, rifles like the Remington 742, Winchester 100, H&R 360, M-1 carbine and Browning BAR. He poured a handful of dirt into the actions, dumped them out and tried to fire them. He did underwater tests as well. If I remember correctly, he squeezed toothpaste into the HK-91 action followed by dirt. It was the only rifle that functioned thereafter and those tests included the HK-93 as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the ribbed chamber of the HK-91 contributed to its proper functioning.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I’ve got his books around here somewhere. Parts made good sense. But even then I read “experts” with a bit of skepticism.
Last edited by jeepnik on Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I used to read his Guns and Ammo monthly column called "Survive!" in the late 70s, pretty sure that's what it was called. Never had his books though.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:48 am I read that also! I remember he had a place in Colorado and a place in Mexico to "bug out" to if need be. Then he died unexpectedly. I wonder if he was prepared for that?
Few people can appreciate your sense of humor like I do Jim.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:29 am
JimT wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:48 am I read that also! I remember he had a place in Colorado and a place in Mexico to "bug out" to if need be. Then he died unexpectedly. I wonder if he was prepared for that?
Few people can appreciate your sense of humor like I do Jim.
thumbsup.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.