Flat Shooting Coyote Loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Flat Shooting Coyote Loads

Post by SJPrice »

I am looking for a flat shooting coyote load in 45 Colt. I intend to carry the load in my Model 97 Freedom Arms single action. I know this is not a lever action, but the same load could be used in a 45 colt levergun. Any experience or thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

The words "flat shooting" and "45 colt" just don't seem to go together. :?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

In the .45 Colt rifle use the Hornady 240 gr. XTP-MAG .451" bullet over a healthy (by the manual) dose of H110/W296 or L'ilGun.

However, "flat-shooting" and .45 Colt don't go together in a world with the 7mm STW and such.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Never loaded any but the 225gr might work. All I load are 255gr with some Unique.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

Flat shooting was meant to be a relative term. I understand it will not match any small caliber or for that matter any center fire rifle. I was looking for any actual experience in developing a load that would shoot "flatter" out to say 150 yards.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I use 9gr Unique out of my 6" Bisley Blackhawk with a 255gr cast bullet. I can consistently hit a small prairie dog mound at over 150yds with only about 10" or so of elevation. It is all in how you know your load and the accuracy of your gun. Practice, practice, practice. Remember, Paco recommends 1 round for every yard you intend to shoot. If you want to shoot 200yds, shoot 200 rounds at that distance.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

SJPrice wrote:Flat shooting was meant to be a relative term. I understand it will not match any small caliber or for that matter any center fire rifle. I was looking for any actual experience in developing a load that would shoot "flatter" out to say 150 yards.
Then the 240 gr. at 1800+ fps will do the trick from the rifle. Good on deer, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I find the 300 grainers hold their path better past 100 yards. My 20" barrel spits them out at near 1550 fps. I have shot at 150 yards and I know where to hold to make that shot. More importantly, I get a good group at that range. My SBH with scope is sighted in dead-on at 100 yards and keeps them w/i 3" off the bench. Made one 125 ish yard shot on a deer w/ that handgun, load combo (1250fps out of the 7 1/2" barrel).

Same two guns couldn't keep any 225, 250 or 260grain bullets real consistent after passing the 100 yard mark. It might be just the right load for my two guns (coincidentally) but I wouldn't overlook the heavier loads for longer range shooting at coyotes.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Hey Joe, you know I don't actually shoot the 240s, I shoot the 300s in mine and they go faster than 1600, closer to 1700 fps. But, you know, he didn't ASK about accuracy or usability, he asked about flat trajectory which is why I answered as I did. The 240s actually do pretty well out to 150.
Sincerely,

Hobie