Lever Light rails

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ANDYLARSSON
Site Owner

Lever Light rails

Post by ANDYLARSSON »

Some thoughts from Andy

There are very few things you can hang on a Lever Gun that make it more useful. A stock lever action rifle is about as slim, sleek, svelt, and useful as it can be. Smooth lines, no protrusions, nothing to hang up, goes in and out of a scabbard or case, use around the easily, etc...

About anything we "accessorize" with will actually impede the
natural handling characteristics of these iconic rifles.

If Tacticool is your thing by all means embrace it. Do understand there is a difference between "Looks Cool!" and "Works Better".

WHAT CAN MAKE MY LEVERGUN MORE USEFUL?

In my lifetime spend in the outdoors with lever action rifles, I've narrowed the mods down to these helpful items.

1. Better sights.

A rugged peep or ghost ring sight will add sight radius and a more intuitive, easier to use sighting system. At levergun ranges an optic is not really warranted. Anything that runs on battery's can also fail when you need it.

2. A Simple, Light Weight Sling.

Something to carry the rifle/carbine and give some hands free capability is very useful. Let the sling be for carrying the rifle. Anything you hang off the sling will become a pendulum swinging under the rifle when shooting offhand.

3. A Butt Cuff with "some" Ammo carrying capacity.

A well constructed, simple, butt cuff that holds a few extra rounds can be handy if you need to "Grab and GO" with your rifle. Keep it simple and light. 5 or 6 extra rounds will be enough. Clean the ammo regularly.

4. A way to attach a small tactical flashlight.

We are not afraid of the dark, we just need to SEE the things that are IN the dark... I like my light to be removable so I can mount it when needed but not have it in the way. Its only dark half of the day. This is helpful when used as a home defense measure and also in the tent when Yogi comes to visit.

This is our newest product for those who don’t want to go to “Tacticool” but would like the functionality of a small weapon light on their Levergun.

http://www.skinnersights.com/lever-light-mounts.html

​​​​​
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Lever Light rails

Post by 44shooter »

Looks well made and unobtrusive. Btw your cases for takedowns are amazing!
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

We have a Hill Country light rail on my wifes Henry BB, it works well but that one seems more versatile than the HC modsl
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's pretty cool. Might just need one for my Marlin CST/ .357. That, combined with the suppressor I have that's still on "Lock Down" would be a nice combo.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You've developed a fine product in that one Andy!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That’s really a perfect addition for a ‘pistol-caliber’ lever action rifle.

This thread links to three other threads on lever action rifles I have modified for practical ‘homestead’ use.

viewtopic.php?p=583183&sid=b14f3aa88ac5 ... fb#p583183

As you can see, me earlier efforts were along the ‘clip-on light to the magazine-tube’ line, though with far less ‘precision machining’ (in my case I swear I didn’t just have a gerbil gnaw on some grey PVC tubing).

The little Streamlight green laser/lights designed for pistols have really been useful and would be perfect for your rails.

Folks get defensive of their blued-steel-and-walnut, which is beautiful, and yet there are advantages to stainless, aluminum, and plastic. What’s even better is to combine the best of BOTH. 8)

An integrally-suppressed (yes modify/bend the mag tube) fast-twist 45 Colt or 44 Mag levergun with proper aperture/laser sights and lights is really SUPERIOR in many ways to even the awesome AR-15, even in SBR format, when it comes to in-home or ranch/farm use in most situations. Especially in bear country - I’d rather go check the goats with an 8-10 shot 45 Colt integrally-suppressed levergun than an AR.

The nice thing about YOUR device is it requires no permanent modifications, and is unobtrusive with the light un-clipped.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "