Ten Good Guns Are Easy.....But:

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Ten Good Guns Are Easy.....But:

Post by Blaine »

How about the ones that just were not worth a hoot and you'd rather junk them than sell or give away they were so bad?? :twisted: :twisted:

H&R Sentinal Revolver

A Remington 53? .22, tube fed bolt.

Maybe a couple more.........

I had a SBH that was no good shooter, but that was before I learned about opening the throats up. A .41 Bisley, too.

Other than that, I've been pretty happy over the years.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ten Good Guns Are Easy.....But:

Post by FWiedner »

H&R Handirifle in .243

Had high hopes for this one. Turned out to be a pure disappointment.

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

How about the ones that just were not worth a hoot and you'd rather junk them than sell or give away they were so bad??
Well, right now I can think of a couple:

Broncho, single shot 410 shot gun with skeleton stock.
Broncho, single shot 22 RF with skeleton stock.

The only excuse I can use for buying them is that I was young and inexperienced.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

BlaineG wrote:How about the ones that just were not worth a hoot and you'd rather junk them than sell or give away they were so bad?? :twisted: :twisted:

H&R Sentinal Revolver

A Remington 53? .22, tube fed bolt.

Maybe a couple more.........

I had a SBH that was no good shooter, but that was before I learned about opening the throats up. A .41 Bisley, too.

Other than that, I've been pretty happy over the years.....
THE SENTINAL WAS A HIGH STANDARD REVOLVER, BLAINE. MOST OF 'EM SHOT UP A STORM. DAM SHAME ABOUT YOURS. HARRY SEFRIED WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE THAT ONE BACK.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Terry, you're right...thanks for the correction.....I never shoot it anymore, but my daughter likes it for some reason, so I don't get rid of it (and, it was my Grandfathers....I should give it to my daughter)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, dang, a bad gun... ummm... I don't know, what does one look like... bad gun, bad gun... I'm sure I've got at least one, right? :?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Just bought a new Single Six.. Leads awful at the forcing cone.. trigger sux...cylinder bolt drops half way between the slots...Yuk
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

A "bad" gun might make a good "drop gun" in a pinch!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Polish P-64 / Makarov style pistol. Biggest piece of junk I've ever had. I bought two of them when they became available 3/4 years ago. Two finger trigger pull. Neither would fire more than 4 or 5 rounds at a time.

Egyptian Rasheed. Atleast the one i had. Real junk!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

jennings and raven and RG pistols.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

High Standard 12 ga pump that was a jam-a-matic. I told the guy I sold it and its twin (that was nearly as bad) but he wanted them because they were just like the one he had stolen.

Arminius 22lr.......German Manufactured DA revolver imported by FIE. It actually was pretty decent and shot well but after about 2500 rounds it was obviously aging and not gracefully.

Besides that I have not had problems. Just lucky I guess.

Wm
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I don't have junk guns. Any/all problems have been do to lack of maintence and/or operator error.

We do have a Remmington 552 Speedmaster that doesn't always close the bolt all the way. But, that only happens when you start a new mag of ammo, never when shooting.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

I used to have a Win model 37 single shot in 12 ga that kicked like a bay mule. Dad bought it for $5 at a hardware store in Karnes City back in the 1950's and I sold the darn thing for $75 about 15 years ago - and don't miss it at all. Unfortunately, I've owned more than I regret selling than ones I didn't like enough to keep...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've had 2 SBHs I got rid of before I ever heard of the throat problems. I was trying the steel silhouette game back in the early 80's and never could hit with those things. I ended up getting a Contender super14 in .30-30 that was the berries.

I had a S&W ( oh my did I say that?) M63 that I never could hit with either. It seemed like one time my eyes would pick up the front sight as intended and the next time it would only pick up the red ramp. I learned to hate those red ramps with that revolver. I guess you'd call that operator error.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Hmm. In my book the one gun at the top of the list:

AMT Lightning .22 autoloading pistol. What a peice of garbage. It shot well for a while then it became so unreliable mechanically that I sold it.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

I usually buy only tried and true brands, by this I mean "most popular". Once I bought a CZ pistol. It looked kind of like a Sig Sauer P-226. Every time I fired it the slide would lock back. This one was gone within a month. Other than that no really "Bad" guns.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

FWiedner wrote:H&R Handirifle in .243
Had high hopes for this one. Turned out to be a pure disappointment.
:(
What was bad about it...? Accuracy?

I just got an H&R in .44 Mag just to see what kind of accuracy I could get out of THAT "inherently accurate" cartridge - my old battleaxe Marlin rifle gets around 2-3" groups fairly easily from a cold barrel, but I was just curious as to if one could get sub-MOA groups and since I couldn't find a Remington 788 in .44 I'd try a H&R. I haven't tried it out seriously yet, but it seems to have potential - factory loads cloverleaf at 50 yards.

The reason I ask about the .243 is I almost got one in that chambering so I'd have a .243 (never had one).

My .223 one seems pretty accurate but it is a heavy barrel one.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Robinson M96 Carbine -- the gas piston/op rod uses "C"-type spring steel roll pins as dynamic load bearing members. They would frequently bend, crack, break. Cheap, stupid misapplication of a component. Two recalls for a FP retainer issue and a fire control group issue. Poor customer service at best. The M96 became a reds-headed stepchild the closer the XCR came to market.

A Charles Daly 1911 that a local shop asked me to look at because "the slide won't close because the rounds won't chamber." The chamber failed a GO headspace gauge with about 0.060" to spare. It chambered 45GAP perfectly, but the chamber was too short for the ACP round. It went back to KBI in Harrisburg, PA for replacement. What's weird is that Daly 1911s were made in the same factory in Phillipines that makes the very reliable and inexpensive RIA 1911s. Go figger.

My first Navy Arms/Uberti Schofield 45 Colt, which had the cylinder stop recesses cut such that the chambers were misaligned to the right sufficiently that a range rod would not pass into any of the six chambers. Bought used off an auction site, when it arrived at my dealer here the first indication of trouble was very noticeable deposits of spit-out lead on the outer surface of the right side of the forcing cone. That prompted unshipping the range rod for a checkout, and the gun went back to the dealer the next day.

Ugly duckling: I spied a Mauser K98k at a semi-local shop a number of years ago, and it turned out to be a Yugoslavian capture/rebuild with no Yugo crest and "bcd" code intact on the receiver ring. "Preduzece 44" was on the left side of the receiver ring, the tell that is is a Yugo rebuild. Rifle looked immaculate outside but the bore was dark, rough, and furry inside with a faint hint of rifling. $75 later I had me a project. The first pass through the bore was a dry 2" patch on a brass jag, and it pushed a huge cloud of orange-brown dust out the muzzle all over my bench. Long story and three bore brushes, an ounce or two of Kroil, some JB Bore Paste, a few dozen 2" patches, and a couple dozen steel jacketed Yugo surplus 8mm rounds later, the bore is mirror-bright with sharp lands and grooves. It is BORINGLY accurate, and I'm able to hit the 440 yd gong standing offhand usually 5/5. On paper it is MOA.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

The only bad gun I've had was the first pistol I ever bought. It was a Jennings 9mm. I was young and stupid. It beat the living stuff out of my hand and jammed about half the time. I'll leave those pistols to the gangbangers.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Jennigs were the pits Also the Clerkes form somewhere in Florida were REALLY bad 32 cal revolvers WORSE junk i can remember
ther was also a gun back in the 80s called the ROGAK I beleive it was an 18 shot semi /auto 9mm I remember the picture in the article that "SOLDIER OF FORTUNE" did reviewing it . Picutre showed the authur holding it by the barrel over his head attempting to throw it as far as he could to get rid of it . IT was horrible Probalby why I cant recall the actual name it never went any where .
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

The worse shooters I ever had were 3 Old Model Rugers. Throats of varying diameters, barrels of questionable bore quality, etc. Overall, not good.
The New Models I have owned (there's been a few) have all been just peachy. I'll let the collectors and converters buy the Old Models. I stick with the newer stuff. With a little trigger work (maybe), they are great revolvers.

Overall, I've been lucky.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Had a Ted Williams that fell apart the first and only shot I took with it....took it back to the store and got my money back after the owner laughed for twenty minutes.

Noah, those K98k's never seem to amaze me. It appears that if they have a bore with some rifling, they are extremely accurate. Those Germans must have wanted to lose that war, because their rifles sure were accurate.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

I've never had any bad guns, but I gave up on a few. I either got frustrated by problems or just latent buyers remorse.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

auto ordanace pitbull .45acp. jammed even when shooting fmj. piece of junk!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

When I was 12 years old my Father bought a "PERFECT" Grouse gun because i wanted to go chase them my 1st year I could hunt. I had a bran spanking new 870 Wingmaster. He bought a side by side from KMart in 20 gauge made in Mexico I believe for 80 bucks. He closed the barrels on 2 new Federal #8 shot shells, and the gun went off without touching the trigger, or the safety. Needless to say it went right back to KMart, and he spent the extra money on an 870 of his own. :lol: No one was hurt, and no more thing came home to either of us. We learned a lesson that day!
Rick
Levergunner

Post by Rick »

I've been lucky I guess. I've only had 2, both fixed by the maker. A Remington 700 that went off when you flipped the safety off, finger nowhere near the trigger. (That was fun). Remington fixed that one, no problems. A Kimber 1911 compact that wouldn't chamber rounds all the time, even with Wilson mags. Kimber said there was a burr in the chamber and gave me a new barrel. Problem gone. Both outfits did their work in short order with no static. Both good outfits in my book. That's about it that weren't operator induced.
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Daisy .22 rifle.
Davis .22 double barrel derringer.
Zack
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

The only real disappointing guns I've bought were a TCR 87, a Taurus Gaucho, and a Ruger P94DAO. All no longer with us...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags