.41 mag cast bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

.41 mag cast bullets

Post by Walt »

I got out while it was relatively cool this morning and cast several hundred RCBS 41-210 bullets. I have several .41 caliber molds but I think this one is the most practical. I have 3 Smith .41 mags and a couple of Rugers. I have a 6" model 57, no dash, a 4" 657 and a 3" 657 all of which I've nailed 12" gongs 5 out of 5 times with at a measured 100 yards off hand. I normally cast with 2 molds simultaneously and the two .41-210 molds cast within a grain or two of each other.

My moderate load is 14.5 gr of AA-9 and the faster load uses either 17.5 gr of the same powder or 19 gr of 4227. All three loads shoot well in my guns. My Rugers are somewhat more recent acquisitions and I've not shot them at 100 yards yet.

I have carbide sizing dies by RCBS, Redding and Lee. The Lee die does not size my .41 brass small enough to load smoothly into my Ruger cylinders although they fit fine in my Smiths. The downside of the larger chambers of my Smiths is that the incidence of split cases is somewhat greater than I'd like.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .41 mag cast bullets

Post by GunnyMack »

Hey, great minds think alike! I too cast some 41s this morning, I got a great Accurate 240 mould from Bill from Oregon and I'm pleased with it! I also have a 210 mould I got from another member here, Catshooter.
Yesterday was the first trip out with the 240s and I was very pleased as the first group was about 1" at 50. I then swatted gongs at 100, even the 4 incher was smacked from the bench.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

That's some darn fine shooting, Gunny! I have a 240 gr mold from Accurate as well which actually weighs in with my sauce at 228 grains. It shoots very well but I more frequently shoot the 210 gr bullets just because having 2 identical molds, I can produce the bullets faster.

Have you settled on a particular load?
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I just got this mould from Bill a couple weeks ago.
I tried 3 powders, Universal, Longshot, 296. The Universal and Longshot were mid level loads and showed promise. The 296 load 2 were almost 1 hole but I shanked the 3rd and the group opened way up!
I only loaded 5 of each except for the Universal but I used those up on the gongs at 100. I will load more of each charge for each powder and give it a go again.

Also I was shooting these from my Henry with a 4x scope- I couldn't shoot a 1" group at 10 yards with my Blackhawk! :lol:

This accurate throws .413, such a large lube groove I just ordered a size die. I was using Alox and I got some leading.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Initially that RCBS 41-210 could be had as a GC version and I wanted one but never found one . I did however have pretty decent luck with the Lyman version . Not saying you need gas checks I just prefer them . I however used them more in the couple Marlin 1894’s I had in 41 MAG . To the best of my knowledge I never loaded anything for a 41 MAG rifle or revolver that used any powder other than H-110 or W-296 .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Walt
Senior Levergunner

Post by Walt »

Speaking of the Lyman 210 gr bullet with a gas check, I have that mold, #410610 but it never worked well for me. I tried all sorts of combinations but the plain-based ones always seemed to shoot better. I don't use it any more because even at 1300 fps the plain-base RCBS 41-210 does not lead the barrels of my guns.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

The Accurate mold I got from Bill has the large lube groove and I found they leaded the bore some when using liquid alox. So I ordered an H& I size die and just finished sizing 200 of them. Weather tomorrow will probably keep me in the house, ill probably cast some more !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!