Off Topic NOT a LEVERGUN Enfield MK4.2

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Off Topic NOT a LEVERGUN Enfield MK4.2

Post by Idiot »

For fathers day I left the family at home and went to the range. I had to shoot up a few boxes of ammo to determine whether or not I wanted to buy more and to see if my new Enfield MK4.2 would shoot at all. It did.

It's kind of fun watching all the high tech guys, which I can certainly be at times, aim hard at the 300 yard gong and miss, and then follow them by banging it several times with stock WWII or so sights. Anyway, I brag and digress.

The gun worked well but I experienced a few jams. All of them appeared to be magazone related; hence my first question. Does anyone make a good MK4.2 magazine to replace the one I have?

The gun also shot very high at its lowest setting. Does anyone make a replacement front blade of this thing?

Do any of you guys know of a place where one can obtain quality parts for an old Enfield?

Finally, I also shot my M336 Tactical Schmactical Urban Defence System (T-SUDS), aka a scoped 30-30 Winchester. I shot well and it never even thinked about jamming. I have discovered though that once you go to the rubber pointed Hornady bullets - you're stuck there. In my gun they shot waaaaay higher than the standard round nose stuff. I think I'm going back to round nose. Anyway, thanks for the responses.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Off Topic NOT a LEVERGUN Enfield MK4.2

Post by O.S.O.K. »

http://www.e-gunparts.com

I doubt you really need a new mag unless your rifle has the wrong one installed. Your issue may be with the ammo you were using. Some SMLE's don't like soft points for feeding.

I'm guessing that you have a two-aperture flip sight? If so, the lower setting is regulated for 300 meters.

What you can do is get a micrometer sight and install it. That will allow you to set the rear sight for whatever range you want. The battle aperture will still be 300 meters but you can adjust the ladder sight for 100 for range shooting and also mark the exact settings for longer range with your ammo of choice.

Hope that helps some.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Idiot,

I am the proud owner of two Enfields. A No4 Mk1* 303, and a 2a No1 Mk3 7.62 Nato. Both shot VERY high when I got them. That is how the British and their colonies set them. Aim anywhere on the torso and you'll get a hit. Now, do you have a bayonet for it? If you do, shoot it with bayonet on it. You'll find the groups hit a lot lower. Another British thing, sight 'em in with the bayonet on and then you're OK either way.
I've found most of my sights at gun shows and Numrich. There is still some Enfield parts on eBay, and I'm sure some of the other gun auction sites.

I'm going to assume this is a 303. The first thing you need to do, is don't get the rims crossed up. The rim on each round in the magazine must go forward of the one preceding it.
I don't know of any body that makes good after market magazines for these rifles. What I ended up doing is a stroke of luck. I found an original British issue magazine still in cosmoline in it's brown paper wrapping in the box. I unwrapped it and then recontoured the feed lips on my shooters to match the untouched magazine. I haven't had a problem since.
If you can find someone with an Enfield the same series as yours that feeds well, compare his magazine to yours. And then adjust accordingly. Check for dents and bent in sides of the magazine body and fix as needed. Another thing, check the serial number on the magazine in your rifle. Originally they were serial numbered to the rifle. If yours is, it's worth working with. You might also try taking it apart and scrubbing it real good. I've had some that wouldn't feed worth a dime, only to work great after a good cleaning and lubing.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Thanks for the info guys. I'm shooting 303 British with pointed FMJ 174 grain bullets. Most of the time it feeds fine, but sometimes the magazine holds the cartridge hostage and doesn't allow it to move into feeding position. Cleaning it may fix that. The other problem is when I get load only a couple rounds; the front magaze lips don't hold them in place and they want to come to the surface cock-eyed. Anyway, I think cleaning the magazine and adjusting the lips will likely fix both problems. I will also haunt the gunshows for a new magazine (like J Miller's) or perhaps find a refurbished one.

On the sights, if I can't get the thing to shoot a little lower (its even high for 300 yards) I will solder a brass bead over the top of the front sight blade and go with that. I can layer beads until I can get it down a bit. Oh, my sights are the flip up elevation adjustment sights. I have one aperture for short range (about 400 yards I guess) and a flip up sight that adjusts with a big screw for shots into the next country.

I've got to tell you guys, I sure like this rifle. I've shot most of the surplus stuff and this one is just pure fun. I used to hunt as a kid with a Schmit-Rubin, and then graduated to a M98 Mauser, and owned a 30-40 Krag (getting rid of that was a huge mistake), fired a Springfield which was a lot like the M98 but way more over-priced, and others in between. I aim to keep this Enfield and haul it around in my truck for instant fun at most ranges - at least until I can find another Krag at a decent price.

Thanks guys.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Idiot,

Also check the undersides of the magzine lips for sharp edges and burrs. I've had some that were worn so sharp they'd cut gouges out of the cartridges as you pushed them home.
Your description sounds exactly like bent and deformed forward feed lips. I wish we were closer we could hook up and play with them.

My No4 Mk1 shot so high I took a short battered sight, sliced off the blade off the base, cut a notch and silver soldered a new taller blade into it. I was in the process of sighting it in when I moved to IL. Haven't finished my sight in nor shot it since 1998.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The flip-up verneer sight will allow you to adjust your point of aim down some too - put it all the way down and take a look. The battle sight is supposed to be set for 300 meters.

Do this: put the rifle in a rest - and aim through the battle sight at something - a point of referrence - then, without moving, flip-up the verneer sight (with it adjusted all the way down) and see how the point of aim changes - it should go down - mine all do.

Also - follow Joe's instructions on charging the magazine and that may well solve your issue. I forgot about that - take it for granted now...

Finally, something else you can do if you reload is get some heavier bullets or just use 180 grain bullets and slow em down a bit. Especially if this is for fun/target shooting. That will bring your point of impact down some.

I like to shoot 200 grain cast bullets out of mine - these are Lyman gas checked variety. I use wheel weights, Lyman or Hornady gas checks and Lee liquid alox lube. Shoot better than anything out of my rifles and the point of impact is lower, making it easy to adjust to spot on with the sights - even the No.1 MkIII's.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

J Miller wrote: Also check the undersides of the magzine lips for sharp edges and burrs. I've had some that were worn so sharp they'd cut gouges out of the cartridges as you pushed them home.
Your description sounds exactly like bent and deformed forward feed lips.

Idiot:

(Very strange to type that word without being in a state of anger or emotion, and without an exclamation point . . . )

I second what Joe posted above. MANY Enfield magazines need their feed lips adjusted, and not just once. It takes patience and a fine hand with a needlenose to find the sweet spot.

BTW, is your rifle a No4 Mk2? The "Mk4.2" designation doesn't agree with British convention.

The No4 Mk2 is my favorite Enfield variant; all were built at the Fazakerly facility from late 48/early 49 through August 1955. Many have light colored / blonde finished furniture and black painted metal finish. All No4 Mk2s have the screw-adjustable ladder rear sight.

Congrats on owning a great example of a great old bolt-action rifle!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Noah, those are awsome. None of mine look that good. My Faz No.4 mk2 is blond but the stock isn't nearly as nice as those. Those look factory fresh - did you get them all at the same time/place?

And I've never had to mess with my lips - magazine lips that is, but I have heard of other's needing to.

All of my quite varied model/age SMLE's feed great.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

OSOK:

All but one of those rifles was fired before I bought it, and I bought them over the course of four years. I have two more, just never took an updated group photo. I sold off my other No4 rifles after buying these. I had some Savage and Long Branch No4 Mk1s and Mk1*s that were great shooters, but there's something about the later No4 MK2s that trips my switch.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

There is a higher front sight out there as a part to replace the one you have. My No. 4 Mk I and Mk I* do not shoot high as described. Using Greek ball both guns were dead on out to 600 meters, the farthest I've been able to shoot them around here. That is to say, they shot right along with the sights.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That Greek surplus is great stuff. Incredibly accurate and reloadable too!

I bought a couple cases of that stuff several years ago and I'm still shooting it.
I had a real beater No.4Mk2 that was still a good shooter.

My favorites are the No1MkIII Lithgows. Just oozing with class and history.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Just out of curiosity, what numbers are on your front sight? They made several different sizes and believe it or not, most are available. If anybody out there has a copy of Skennerton's book, he has a listing of the different sights. I lost mine sometime back. Finding an original No. 4 magazine is a challenge. The magazine for the No. 1 will fit with some modification such as carefully grinding off the bottom "spring" lug but some cannot be modified due to the swinging magazine lips that a few have. At least, I never have seen one of them work in the No. 4. I had one a few years ago that also had problems with the feed lips. BE CAREFUL HOW YOU BEND THEM. They are prone to cracking. The best tool I found for this is those smooth-mouthed duck-bill pliers because they wont gall the lips. Also, is your micrometer sight going down all the way? Sometimes they get dirt and cosmoline underneath them.

Also, remember that if you eventually want to shoot round nose bullets, you will likely have to readjust those lips.

Good luck, great gun.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

0, 15, 3, 45, 6. Those are the front sight numbers stamped on the Enfield sights.

Each number is progressively .015 taller. I wound up using a #6 to get my 2A-1 "on paper" @ 50 yd.

I've also replaced the "L" battle sight on on two of mine, my Savage and Longbranch with Fazakerly MkIV(?), anyway the good milled finely adjustable Faz rear sight.

I shoot Lyman 314299 cast from 90/10 WW/Lino over around 19 gr of SR 4759. Have to crank the rear up to about the 225 to center at 50 yd.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Lot of good comments in this article. I don't know if this outfit is still doing Enfield parts but at one time they advertised they had the largest selection of Enfield parts. Springfield Sporters of Penn Run, Pa. I heard they sold a lot of their stuff off to Gun Parts. Their prices were great. You could also get a complete set of replacement front sights for both the No.4's and the Mark III No. 1's. Sarco also lists these as well I believe they also have all models of the Enfield magazines, most in new condition. I have about 5 Enfields in different Marks and got them a long time back. They are a true battle rifle. Almost forgot to mention you might want to check out the 303 Enfield.com site. They have a good board and some good information there as well. Good Luck.
Scum Frog
Levergunner

Post by Scum Frog »

Along with Lever guns, Enfields are another love of mine, being Canadian it's almost a prerequisite :wink:

On your jamming issue I have to agree make sure the rim on each round in the magazine is forward of the one preceding it.

My Enfield was already sporterized by the time I got it, so I went all the way with her.
Added a Synthetic ATI stock,topped it off with a bushnell scope and cut the magazine down to 6 shots.
This is what she looks like now ( pic is from the ATI website)

This was my range session before last years moose hunt....shoot like a dream with Remington 180gr SP Core-Lokts

Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Gentlemen, thanks for all the responses and good leads. I will follow the leads and advice and make this No.4 Mk2* shoot like I want it.

My rifle is not nearly as pretty as the ones posted. Mine, I think has seen a few battles (or car trunks), but the bore is good and its all there. The wood barrel shield is ribbed and the rest of the wood is used, but good.

I don't have it in front of me, so I don't know the front sight number, but I will find out and try to replace it.

I'm currently shooting Sellier and Bellot 180 grain FMJ ammo, but want to switch to S & B's 150 soft point stuff. (I know I said earlier that I was using 174 grain ammo, I was at one point, but shoot the above stuff now.)

*On top of being ignorant, I was in a hurry when I first wrote my designation. Thanks for the correction.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Idiot,

If you have trouble getting the feed lips adjusted I can take pics of my unused sample and or the one in my Enfield for you to look at. Don't know if that will help, but it can't hurt.

Joe
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

The only other issue that I have had with the enfield magazines were the springs as they are old.They can be removed and stretched but I think that only last so long.I have switched them with springs from gun show five round magazines and ended up with both magazines working but milage may vary.The gun show mag was supposed to work in the no1 and no4 but only one no1 has worked with it.Also have one "5" round magazine from the sixties (japanese made ) which will take 7 rounds.I want to say Santa Fe arms but not sure that is right having brain flatulence.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

model55 wrote:The only other issue that I have had with the enfield magazines were the springs as they are old.They can be removed and stretched but I think that only last so long.I have switched them with springs from gun show five round magazines and ended up with both magazines working but milage may vary.The gun show mag was supposed to work in the no1 and no4 but only one no1 has worked with it.Also have one "5" round magazine from the sixties (japanese made ) which will take 7 rounds.I want to say Santa Fe arms but not sure that is right having brain flatulence.
You are correct they were made by Sante Fe. I also have one of the 5 round magazines. It's one of the best ones I have. Some day I'll find a rifle that needs sporterized and it will go there.

Joe
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

J Miller wrote:Idiot,

If you have trouble getting the feed lips adjusted I can take pics of my unused sample and or the one in my Enfield for you to look at. Don't know if that will help, but it can't hurt.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I may take you up on this. But before I do I'm going to attempt to buy another magazine or so and see if it works out. If not, I'll fiddle with the lips. Again, thanks.