Before light.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Before light.

Post by Nath »

Watched it come light slowly today as I stalked my way around. Binoculars in one hand and 30-30 in other.
Not a long walk. Just nearly a mile to a long undulating field of oat stubble.
Why?
Well I found two fox's living on it and a small wood plot is their home.
Last weekend the vixen busted me at night as I tried to close the gap for the HMR with nv scope.
Clever girl.
I did well. From 400 yds or so down to a little over 100, I nearly got a shot.
Anyway back to today.
In the half light I see her. 600 yards away. Then I noticed the dog near by. As I try edging along I glass her all the time, I know she is smart!
I also observed her flirting with the dog. I've seen vixen do this many times before.
It wasn't long and still 500yds away I saw her looking my way!
My bones won't let me crawl anymore and hard as I tried with face covered and trees behind me she slowly made for home.
I lost sight of the dog in a depression as it walked towards me. Alas, it never came enough and reappeared heading for home also.
At least she didn't bark at me this time!
So the plan is to pay a visit tonight after dark and failing that first thing again but from a different angle.
It was good to be out with the 30wcf again and on the way back thought I'd have some fun so switched ammo to a small game load.
First up was a crow at about 180 yds.
The small game load needs full elevation and then a raised front sight at short range so on this crow I stuck that front post right on up in the air!
Amazingly it was just about oh I don't know, 8" low. Close enough to make me chuckle put it that way! The crow escaped this time but it sure woke him up!
After that and near the car I happened on a squirrel. It sat frozen wondering if I was a threat! Bad mistake. A 150 gn spire point zipped through him at 20yds backed by 8gn of Herco.
Good times and better than TV. Boy do I ache though....
IMG_20230902_073736.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Before light.

Post by gamekeeper »

Excellent post Nath, thanks for taking us all along on the hunt....and we all know that vixens days are numbered :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:04 am Excellent post Nath, thanks for taking us all along on the hunt....and we all know that vixens days are numbered :mrgreen:
Still no land John?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

No land but I'm hoping to move to Northumberland next year if my son returns from NZ. He has the chance of a keepers job up there.
Your posts are inspirational so I don't give up hope ... :D
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:43 am No land but I'm hoping to move to Northumberland next year if my son returns from NZ. He has the chance of a keepers job up there.
Your posts are inspirational so I don't give up hope ... :D
It's grand up there John 👍🏻
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Beautiful country and the beers good too..... :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Excellent Nath a good story and fine ending too