Water jug tests ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Water jug tests ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

How about 55-gallon drum tests?
To think we fired this ordinance at each other makes me sick at heart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPwLrc-NXkY
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Water jug tests ...

Post by gamekeeper »

Well I don't think milk jugs are going to look so spectacular now..... :shock:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:53 pm Well I don't think milk jugs are going to look so spectacular now..... :shock:
I'll say! :shock: :shock:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

How many barrels of water will 50 BMG penetrate ?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/stop- ... ter-video/ > in for a treat on this one

some time ago there were videos of someone shooting under water in a swimming pool, including 50 BMG.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Not surprised at all. Two things to consider. The plastic used for drum, particularly the tops is both very dense and much thicker than water jugs. The other is the density if water is much greater than folks think.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Grizz wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:09 pm How many barrels of water will 50 BMG penetrate ?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/stop- ... ter-video/ > in for a treat on this one

some time ago there were videos of someone shooting under water in a swimming pool, including 50 BMG.
Mythbusters were shooting INTO water (swimming pool)checking to see how deep a person needed to be to be safe from bullets wounding/ killing. Even the mighty 50BMG was pretty much safe at about 3 feet deep.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Used to find those steel .50 BMG cores washing out of the berms at the range in La Luz, NM. Most were in excellent condition. I wonder how a depleted uranium round would fare in the 55-gallon drum test.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I think I saw a water-jug comparison of 45-70 and 50 BMG, and the 45-70 penetrated more (maybe 9 or 10 versus 5 or 6). Various theories were put forth but the best velocity for penetrating water-jugs seemed to be around 1,100 or 1,200 fps regardless of what gun it was fired from.

Ii wonder what the velocity of those cannon balls tended to be...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 7:16 am .
I think I saw a water-jug comparison of 45-70 and 50 BMG, and the 45-70 penetrated more (maybe 9 or 10 versus 5 or 6). Various theories were put forth but the best velocity for penetrating water-jugs seemed to be around 1,100 or 1,200 fps regardless of what gun it was fired from.

Ii wonder what the velocity of those cannon balls tended to be...
I remember that. PLUS the nose shape makes a big difference, the flat meplat sets up a bow wave that reduces friction (?), AND the 50 outruns it's damage zone and the water acts as a brake (?) that's what I recall, but I bet there are discussions about this somewhere. The high pressure revolver guys were working this out.

I remember the videos about shooting into swimming pools too. It's how forensic labs capture bullets...
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had a guy at school that built a single shot 50. One day at the range he was shooting a a railroad tie plate, thosev750 grain bullets were pushing the plate into the berm. I hit it with a 25gr from my 17 Remington just about bored a hole through it.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

GunnyMack wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:44 am Had a guy at school that built a single shot 50. One day at the range he was shooting a a railroad tie plate, thosev750 grain bullets were pushing the plate into the berm. I hit it with a 25gr from my 17 Remington just about bored a hole through it.
makes me wonder if 50 BMG was engineered to be effective at the range airplanes were engaged, and trains blown up, and ammo cargo blown up. You can see lots of that on the history channel. it would be fun to shoot stuff at varying ranges to see what happens on the business end. OR just down-load them so the muzzle velocity is at the mid-range velocity. something like that.

it would be fun to shoot the 50 any old way
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I think what was happening was all that energy from the 50 was pushing the plate whereas the 17 was fast and small enough to do more damage.
We would also shoot rocks out on the flats and the 50 really did damage, could see hunks go flying ! It's a relativity thing, bigger the mass of shot object more the 50 would do to it. The 17 would toss a prarie dog but against at rock at 500 you wouldn't even know ya hit it. Man I miss prairie dog towns! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!