Shipping a rifle..

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Shipping a rifle..

Post by morgan in nm »

I was thinking about selling a Uberti 76 in 45-60 but was wondering how to ship it. I don't have a UPS store close to me and I have never shipped a firearm. I understand that I would need to get the buyer's FFL before I can ship but I was wondering if the post office would ship a rifle. If so, how do I do it.

Thanks for all who reply, Morgan.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Re: Somewhat OT:shipping a rifle..

Post by Mike D. »

The USPS is the only way to go. I have shipped and received a lot of longarms through them without a hitch. Just be sure to package the gun well and don't mark it as a firearm. Simple as that. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
budliteguy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by budliteguy »

Go to the ATF web site and it explains how to ship and what you have to do. If you have a dealer you know then see what he would charge to ship it for you and add that to the price. But it does have to go to a FFL dealer. If the buyer is not a dealer it cannot be shipped straight to him.He will have to furnish you a address of a dealer to ship it too, so he can do the transfer to him. You can go on Gunbroker.com and go under the buyers section and they have a place you can type in your Zip code and it will show dealers in your area if any,that will do transfers for you for a fee. The dealer I use charges $15.00. I have seen some that want $65.00!!!!!!!!! I hope this was useful. :?:
I work hard so my X-wife will have a
better life!!!!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I ship all of my long guns via the US Mail (USPS) Registered mail, insured.
It takes longer to arrive, since everybody who handles the package along the way must sign for it - but it's traceable and WILL get there.

It's perfectly legal, as long as the addressee is an FFL.

You may have to point out this legality to your postal rep, in their own handbook - but, it's in there, like RAGU. ;)

If it's already wrapped, you can write a note/letter to the postmaster, attesting to the fact that the long gun is unloaded and being shipped to FFL XYZ - and show the postmaster a copy of the accepting FFL. (that's in the postal rules/handbook, also)

Ensure that the receiving FFL will accept delivery from a non-FFL (they don't have to).
If they won't, then you'll have no choice except to give it to your local FFL for shipment, whatever way.

Either way, I would remove the buttstock and pad/wrap it separately in the same box as the padded/wrapped barreled action - to make a somewhat shorter package, that hopefully may not look as much like a gun shipment might be thought to look.

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

I've never had a problem with USPS Priority Mail, but...............

avoid, if possible, Uusually Pieces Scattered
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Thanks. It has the original box and I only fired about 40rds through it. The problem is the barrel length of 28". Even if I wrap it in another box, its still going to look like a rifle.

I'll talk to my post office and maybe I will list it here.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Do not ship in the original box unless you ship inside another well padded box. The original box does NOT offer any support. I always ship priority mail insured for FULL replacement value. I like the boxes that the CMP uses to ship the M-1 Garand. They are sturdy and well padded. If I do not have access to a CMP box I will only use a hard case packed inside a box. It is a good idea to wipe the arm down including the bore and chamber with a good rust prevent and wrap it inside a gun sock. I would not consider UPS. They employ the Samsonite Luggage gorilla. Seems like a lot but a busted rifle is a heart breaker and that 76 is not cheap. 1886
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I have shipped long guns several times, including a rolling block with a 36" barrel.

In each case I got hold of some cheap luan panelling (look for a busted or half sheet), some 1X3 firring strips, and a some short drywall screws. Build a box with 1X3 perimeter, luan bottom, and a couple of vertical cross pieces with cutouts to hold the WELL PADDED gun in place inside. Stick the buttstock in next to it (also well padded, bubble wrap works well), put the top on and screw it in place. Now, to be nice to those who will handle it, run some packing tape or duct tape around the edges to eliminate splinters. It WILL protect the gun. One of the boxes I made has made four or five trips with marlin rifles sent to be customized, etc and the box is still good and guns never got hurt.

Certified gun nut
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

AdirondackJack,
Well crafted!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Re: Shipping a rifle..

Post by Thunder50 »

I usually buy a cheap gun case (plastic ones) at Wally world. I cut the sharp edges off and wire where the locks would go. Then wrap in plain brown paper. No problems so far. Ship USPS with tracking.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)