Curses ! Had to buy a new computer! UPDATED

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Curses ! Had to buy a new computer! UPDATED

Post by crs »

This new HP is nice, small, fast, etc. :)

BUT, no serial printer port, no diskette drive, lost my emaills and address book,,,, :cry: :cry: :cry:

Curses and foul words! :evil:

Oh well, I think I will go to the farm and worry about this on Monday! :)
Last edited by crs on Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Curses ! Had to buy a new computer!

Post by AJMD429 »

What killed the old one...? Sometimes you can retrieve stuff from a hard drive. (or at least a 13 year old kid can)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

AJMD429 wrote:What killed the old one...? Sometimes you can retrieve stuff from a hard drive. (or at least a 13 year old kid can)
This is correct. If your old system's hard disk is o-k, any computer repair tech worth his salt would be able to retrieve both and tell you where to put the data on your new system. It's a shame you are not in my neck of the woods, I would hook you up free of charge.

Here's hoping you'll get squared away.

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

It appears that the motherboard failed. At the suggestion of several people, I decided to go to Best Buy and get a new system. I have had good luck with HP, so I bought a new HP Pavillion Slimline with 4 gig memory, dual 64 bit processor, and 500 gig hard drive - a real powerhouse.
However, their Geek Squad blew it when they transferred my data from the two hard drives in my old machine and hundreds of business files came ove just as links with no files, This is all my Quickbooks data, emails, customerfiles, invoices, rference documents, etc.
A real disaster if I did not also have an external hard drive backup made daily.
My son says he will meet with me on Monday to review the situation and then see if we take it all back to the Geek Squad or if he will recover the files himself(I did bring back my old computer)

Bitch, bitch, bitch,,,,,

Thsi will likely cost me a few days of work time to recover -- bitch , etc.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

What's a diskette....?

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

deerwhacker444 wrote:What's a diskette....?

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
A female disk?

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That is a monster of a computer. I don't need any of that 64bit stuff, but that 4GB of memory would be nice. :D

That's a shame about your stuff. That should have been a simple proccess, but maybe the hard drive took a dive with the mother board. My mother board went out and I had to switch from an Intel to a....whatever brand it is because all the Intels were sold out at the time.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I can't wait until Ysabel Kid's Kid becomes my personal IT department! :D
spaceman spiff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by spaceman spiff »

It sounds to me that the Geek Squad in your neighborhood is similar to the Geek Squad in my neighborhood. Not much use at all. If you had a mainboard failure your hard disk is likely o-k. Your favorites and email files are probably intact on the disk. I'll agree with an earlier post, you now have a serious monster of a system, one you will not have to replace for many years. It's good that your son will be able to go over it w/ you, all is not lost.

Regards,

Troy
I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong.

Benjamin Franklin
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I had the same thing happen to me a while back. I had a Dell. The shop said I had several Pregnant capacitors. Swollen from too much heat or voltage spikes. I bought this one I'm using now from them for $175 and it runs OK but it was used and I have to be a little patient with it sometimes. I should have taken my old computer and bought this one which is a Dell as well, and just swapped the motherboards. I'd have been better off. I lost some good programs as well.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

CRS,

I would take the old hard drives and plug them into your new computer. There are a couple of ways to do this, I prefer directly cabled to the ide bus, but you may not even have one. There is an aftermarket cable that you can plug your drive into, then into the new box's usb port. Newegg carries them. There may even be an adaptor that plugs into your hard drive and converts to the sata format that the new mach most likely has.

unless the geekers killed your drives, all your data should be present and accounted for...

Grizz
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

crs wrote:A real disaster if I did not also have an external hard drive backup made daily.
My son says he will meet with me on Monday to review the situation and then see if we take it all back to the Geek Squad or if he will recover the files himself(I did bring back my old computer)

A real handy tool for working on a defunct computer is one of these:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid ... cpc=CBLbsc

Plug in the old hard drive to your new system via USB and copy files to your heart's content...
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Well, you missed your chance to go Apple. Once you use the Mac, you will NEVER go back to the old ways. :P
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Finally!
I found a Geek Squad person that knew his business AND cared to take the time to please the customer! All my files are recovered and all my email addresses and emails are restored. :D
All is now well and I got his card so I can write the management an "atta-boy" letter on him.
Third time was a charm :D
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Curses ! Had to buy a new computer! UPDATED

Post by SJPrice »

I suggest all take a look at the NRA sight. HP is listed as a supporter of the anti gun groups out there.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Curses ! Had to buy a new computer! UPDATED

Post by Last Spike »

Since 1987, I've never regretted becoming a Macintosh user and have never experienced any big issues with Macs. Given that Macs run on Intel CPUs, you can set up a dual boot situation where you can boot either into Mac OS X (ten) or into whatever flavor of Windows or other OS you prefer.

The time I've saved has been more productively used, including going to the range , handloading, buying more leverguns etc. Macs over the long run are cheaper to run than PCs, more reliable and allow me more quality levergun time. I'd like to see PCs top that.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Mike D. wrote:Well, you missed your chance to go Apple. Once you use the Mac, you will NEVER go back to the old ways. :P
Allow me to loudly echo that sentiment. I've been a Macolyte for over ten years, now. It's never too late.

Scott