OT: Primer prices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Primer prices

Post by J Miller »

:cry: OUCH!!! I was up at the gun shop picking up project M when I decided to buy a 1000 LP primers. I try to keep way ahead of my primer needs, but I haven't bought any since the last gun show back in August. I think I paid 25 ish for a 1000 Winchester LP primers. Today at the gun store I paid $28.70 for a 1000 Federal LP primers. OUCH!!!
The shop owner said the next shipment coming in would be $32.00 Per K.
At this point reloading won't be cost effective much longer.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: Primer prices

Post by mescalero1 »

I bought a LOT of ALL kinds during the last primer scare.
I have given up my thoughts of thinning the herd.
I will re-new my efforts in powder & primers.
This bailout thing is bad, no good will come of it & and we will be lucky to live through it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Although I've gotten some toys I'm mostly buying components and rimfire ammo. Lay it back bros.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I spent my entire income tax rebate on reloading components. I buy a little more every time Our Uncle sends me my monthly allowance! :D
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe, Thats about ($28) what they cost here in Pa. but for some reason, I have been very fortunate in my primer purchases. It seems like everytime I go to a show, someone has deals on primers and I will think nothing of buying up 10 or twenty thousand for $10 or 15 a thou. Tonight at the auction, I snagged a thousand Winchester LP for $10.---------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Sixgun, you shouls amend " snagged " to " stole "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The next close gun show is in November. I'm gonna lay in some more primers at least a K of each and some Unique at least.
Bullets are what's hurting me. I can't find a source that's consistent, at the price I can afford and I'm not set up to cast.

I suspect I'll be shooting nothing but handgun cartridges pretty soon.

Oh, that thousand primers I got this morning, well they were magnum primers. I don't need nor use maggies. I hope they'll exchange them.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
I cast, but at shipping prices; we would just be counterproductive
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

mescalero1 wrote:Joe,
I cast, but at shipping prices; we would just be counterproductive
Yeah, but if I could find a steady source of the same bullets that weighed the same each time I ordered them, then that might make it worth while.

I've got a plethora of Keith "type" bullets for my .45 Colt and .357s but because they come from different makers at different times, they are the same in general appearance only.

Joe
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

that is, until you check the price of factory ammo...
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

El Chivo wrote:
that is, until you check the price of factory ammo...
Yeah, you're right there.

Joe
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I like to buy powder and bricks of primers on a regular basis to slowly build up my stocks. Get the stuff while you can and at prices that will be unheard of 5 years from now.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

I was in the local gun store in town today and the owner was ordering from his supplier. When he got to his order for ammunition, instead of ordering everything by the case, as he has in the past, he was ordering some ammo by the box. He told his supplier that his ammo sales were down 1/3 because guys weren't buying ammo like they used to. When he got to his reloading order, he scratched his lead bullet order completely. He told me it has gotten to the point where he had to pick and choose what he ordered as prices were so high.
ED
Yer never too old
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Joe -

That's about what I paid for 1000 CCI 500 Small Pistol Primers a couple weekends ago at the Dixie Gun & Kife show in Charlotte.

Depressing...
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bj94 »

$135.00 for 5k at the gunshow this past weekend (that makes $27.00 for 1k). I don't recall what they charged if you only bought 1k.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Well, like I said: "OUCH!".

I went up to the gun shop today and they did not have any standard primers of pistol or rifle size to trade me out of the magnums. So I'm stuck with a thousand LP Mag primers I won't use. Nice.
Oh well, I'll stick them in my supply box with the 1000 LR Mag primers I won't use either.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Makes the $20.00 a thousand in the great primer scare look good, don't it. The days of the $1.00 a hundred primers are long gone.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie wrote:Makes the $20.00 a thousand in the great primer scare look good, don't it. The days of the $1.00 a hundred primers are long gone.
Yep, right along with $1.00 per gallon gas.

Hey you notice the price of 100 primers is really close to the current price of a gallon of gas?
Hmmmmm, where's my tin foil hat?

Joe
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Joe,
Just hold on to them, I think you will be surprised what they are worth in the future,
Want to make a side bet on which will become " unavailable " first in the future?
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Hobie,
Glad I am not the only one who remembers " the great primer scare "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I remember the great primer scare, I just wasn't financially able to stock up then. So over the years I've put back some. Not as much as some folks, but some.

I also remember the great scare of the late 70s when the National Product Safety commision or what ever they were called were gonna ban ammunition. I still got one brick of CCI Blazer 22s I bought then. I wonder if it will still shoot?

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I shot up all Grandpa's .22 LR from the depression era... Threw away the boxes, too... :roll: FWIW, stored on a shelf in a non-climate controlled farmhouse it worked fine 30-40 years on.
Sincerely,

Hobie

cnjarvis
Senior Levergunner

Post by cnjarvis »

Hobie wrote:I shot up all Grandpa's .22 LR from the depression era... Threw away the boxes, too... :roll: FWIW, stored on a shelf in a non-climate controlled farmhouse it worked fine 30-40 years on.
Good to know. I may continue to stock up then. I'm pretty well set up on primers for a while - no more often than I get to shoot. :oops: :cry:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That is interesting that it was non-climate controlled.
I had always been under the impression that repeated expansion and contraction at the molecular level of the nitro-celluose was the most damaging factor.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:That is interesting that it was non-climate controlled.
I had always been under the impression that repeated expansion and contraction at the molecular level of the nitro-celluose was the most damaging factor.
Well, Grandpa's place was built in 1814 or so, not by our family he bought it in 1929-31 period, and they heated with a stove with a register (vent) from the downstairs to the upstairs where the gun rack was. Open windows in summer. This in upstate NY near Cooperstown.
Sincerely,

Hobie

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hobie wrote:I shot up all Grandpa's .22 LR from the depression era... Threw away the boxes, too... :roll: FWIW, stored on a shelf in a non-climate controlled farmhouse it worked fine 30-40 years on.

My Gradfather bought several cases of Rem. .22s late 60's early seventies ( red and green box) for me and the other grand kids. Since I was the only shooter I ended up going through most of it.

A few missfires but I shot up the last of it when I was in college and it was probably already ten years old when I got to it.

Just bought Win. large rifle and small pistol for $28.00

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

So this place was habitable and not just exposed to extreme temparature variations of upstate N.Y.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:So this place was habitable and not just exposed to extreme temparature variations of upstate N.Y.
Yes, but water in a glass would freeze on Dad's nightstand (in winter of course). He once told me that some days he'd warm up while milking and that they most often stayed in the kitchen or dining room (where the stove was) if they were inside. I forget when they got electricity but I don't think they had indoor plumbing until after the war. I can't remember central heating but it has been many years now.
Sincerely,

Hobie

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The water freezing in the glass would be the temp variations I was alludinf to.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:The water freezing in the glass would be the temp variations I was alludinf to.
Yep. I've lived in a few places like that, mostly in the Army (I don't think Dad remembered freezing as a good thing). BTW, I also shot up a partial box of Winchester STs in .35 Rem from the same period that were stored in the same house. No problems. That was in 1990 or so, or about 50+ years later.
Sincerely,

Hobie

mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

That is GOOD news.
None of my stuff has ever been subjected to that kind of temp variation, after I had possesion of it.
I have asked the question before about life of ammo, components.
No seems to be able to give a definitive answer.
It seems with the kind of care I provide, mine will still be good when I check out.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:That is GOOD news.
None of my stuff has ever been subjected to that kind of temp variation, after I had possesion of it.
I have asked the question before about life of ammo, components.
No seems to be able to give a definitive answer.
It seems with the kind of care I provide, mine will still be good when I check out.
I think that #1 you need to keep ammo insulated from extreme heat and keep it dry. Cool is fine, cold is a big question mark. I know some ammo has been cached for a while and worked fine but in its "hole" it was not exposed to heat or damp, cold, but not heat or damp. If you can stand the temps, the ammo can.
Sincerely,

Hobie

blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

If primers are high (and powder, lead and copper for gas checks and casings!) What do you think the price of ammo is going to do?

I keep powder and primers in a closet in the house...if they aren't on the reloading bench. I like having a 5,000 primer minimum in large and small pistol. Unfortunately I did too well several years ago and now the restocking is a lot higher. BUT considering the current political and economic conditions, I will be buying powder and primers as I can...next week is payday...the planned purchase is an 8 pound keg of TITEGROUP or possibly 231 or UNIQUE (They all work well in my 357s and 44s.)
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

just paid 26 smackers for large rifle at gun show.....
really dont have a choice when 38-55s are close to 40
to 50 bucks for a box of 20...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I date every single 100 count box and every single 1000 count box of primers. I use the oldest first and when I've gotten down to the last couple hundred in the big box I replace it. Date it and put it to the rear of the supply box.

A couple years ago I picked up several thousand older Winchester and Federal LR primers. I'm using those now because they are older than the current stuff. But I still follow the same routine.

And every so often I'll pick up a 1000 to add to the supplies. I have run out ... once, and it was annoying to say the least. I'm not gonna do that again.

Joe