Who has tried Blackhorn?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

Who has tried Blackhorn?

Post by 1886 »

Anyone give this powder a whirl? If so what are the pros and cons? Any tips for loading Blackhorn? I would like to try a B.P. substitute. Thanks for your thoughts. 1886.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Who has tried Blackhorn?

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Blackhorn is not really a BP substitute, it is a smokeless powder that smokes. Go figure... :lol:

If you want to try a substitute, you might consider Goex Pinnacle or American Pioneer Powder. Pretty much the same products, but the Pinnacle has better handling properties - less dust. Both clean up in snap with tap water. Oh, and both make lots of smoke! Load as you would the real stuff. :)
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

I have a jug of Blackhorn on the bench right now waiting to be loaded and tested. Another good black powder substitute is Black Mag 3. I am told that it is the same power that was used in the Navy's big guns. I have used it in my .54 Lyman great plains and my .50 T/C Hawkins with great success. You can shoot all day long without ever having to swab the bore.

http://www.magkor.com/index.html

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Haven't tried Blackhorn, but the American Pioneer stuff is easy to clean up. 86er has had problems with American Pioneer giving erratic velocity. I have not used it a lot, but I do think that I will give whatever I settle on several times at the range to make sure accuracy is as good as I can get.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Our very own Don Tomas wrote up a nice review of the stuff in early September! :D

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =blackhorn
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

I'll be trying it after hunting season is up.
L8agin
Levergunner 2.0

Post by L8agin »

Haven't tried it, but like 777 for loading from the front. 777 gives more power than goex-pyrodex or the am pioneer which is the old clean shot. The old clean shot I tried seriously attracted moisture and didn't seem to be any hotter than goex. Used goex 3f for my 50 cal hunting loads for a while, then went to 777 3f-dropped from 90 gr with 240 gr sabot to 80 using the 777 and still had more velocity. It has to be noted I like short handy muzzel loaders and after setting fire to an old rug used for a cover on the pick up hood using 2 f goex and seeing all the powder left out there, I tried 3f and got what I wanted. so when I went to 777 I bought 3 f. but the 90 gr by vol load kicked like a mule, so dropped back to 80, but still faster than the other 3f powders I tried. Can't remember if they recomend 777 3f in the 50 cal so read and follow instructions-other wise you are on your own
There's still something about old goex I like. It fowels plenty but manages and cleans easy if you get used to it, and 3f did the job :D
L8