OT: Help with S&W 642-1 and 162gr bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Help with S&W 642-1 and 162gr bullet

Post by otteray »

I have this mold: Lyman 357446 (162 gr.) and I am getting a new 642-1 38 Special revolver. Aluminum alloy frame and steel cylinder/barrel.
Is this bullet too heavy for the J-frame 1 7/8" snubby?
Nothing in my recent load data books.
The other molds I have are 358156 HP (155 gr.) and 358342 (142 gr.)
There is so much knowlege here at Leverguns; I know someone can point me in the right direction.
I have reloaded for lots of other bigger calibers; but never for a .38 special or a snubby.
otteray
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Help with S&W 642-1 and 162gr bullet

Post by otteray »

Well,upon further research, it looks like (from an old Lyman manual) that it is not for the 38 special, but is for a 38 S&W or .35 caliber firearms. so nix that particular mould.
How about the other two?
otteray
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

you might want to check in the owner's manual that came with you gun. Some of the lightweight revolvers state that only lightweight bullets should be used to keep the bullets from jumping crimp.

My memory is failing me I can't remember if that's with the alum. frames or just the titanium frames.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have a 642. Load the 158s or lighter over 4.5-5 gr. Unique and you'll be fine. They are +P rated. :wink:

BTW, if you can size that bullet to .358-.359 it should be fine. That's just .002" under the .361" for the .38 S&W.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

Holy cow, Hobie! It's almost midnight there!
Go to sleep! :P
Thanks for the helpful advice, on the 158 gr.
I'll work with that bullet.
otteray
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had a S&W 642 that I sold not too long ago. Before I did, I played with quite a few loads. I used both 125 grn LSWC as well as a 158 grn LSWC. The 125s were loaded to +p levels while the 158 grn were standard loads. Both shot to point of aim at 15 yards.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

Rusty wrote:you might want to check in the owner's manual that came with you gun. Some of the lightweight revolvers state that only lightweight bullets should be used to keep the bullets from jumping crimp.

My memory is failing me I can't remember if that's with the alum. frames or just the titanium frames.
I believe that warning applies to the mosquito-weight revolvers made from titanium, scandium, unobtanium and other near weightless alloys.

If the M-642 has the same Duraluminum frame as the M-638 and Model 37 Airweight Chief's Special, I don't think the warning applies. My Mom's old Airweight Chief's Special has been digesting a steady diet of 158 gr. LRN's and SWC's for over 30 years now.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

By the way, if anyone is interested, S&W released about 3,000 without the lock this summer.
I think they are from pre-2000.
otteray