Anybody have input on the Mossberg 464?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Anybody have input on the Mossberg 464?

Post by FOTIS »

What say you?
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anybody have input on the Mossberg 464?

Post by BenT »

I have no problems with the Mossberg except for the price. For that price I'll get a Marlin and know what I'm getting. I believe someone on the forum here was having problems with the extractor breaking.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

FOTIS,

The someone having extractor problems is OJ. We have several threads here about the Mossberg 464. I don't have links to them, but they shouldn't be too hard to find in the search.

Personally, I haven't even seen one yet. Central IL isn't much for hunting type lever guns.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

You forgot the double digit trigger pull! A friend got one in 270. It shoots 4 1/2 inch patterns and has about a 12 pound trigger pull. Looks like a nice boat anchor to me--- buy the marlin!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

A 464 in 270?????......................... Wow, I sure must have missed alot since I been gone. :shock: .
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

can not be a 270 guys!!!!! :shock:
Last edited by FOTIS on Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I would be interested in seeing that :shock:
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
I had one. I had to send it back twice. The first time the extractor broke plus the lever locked up. I got it back, went out to shoot it and it shot about 3 feet high at 100 yds. I sent it back again and after about 5 weeks they sent me a new one.
The NEW owner of the new rifle was warned about the trouble I'd had, but decided to take a chance at the firesale price.
It doesn't actually look like too bad of a rifle but the extractor is a really cheesy piece of spring steel. A winchester extractor and quite a bit better quality control would make it a good rig.
I asked the repair folks: "Why would they not inspect 100% of the early run of a new model?" I sorta got "huh" for an answer.
I have a couple of Mossberg shotguns that are ok, but I'll never get another Mossberg of anything else! YMMV

Paul

P.S. Get A Marlin
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I would certainly not advocate getting one at the present time. They are junk. Just ask OJ in a PM or check his threads. Maybe someday soon they will correct the quality issues. I handled one at the SHOTSHOW in 2008 and was completely underwhelmed with the quality. There is one forum member who really likes his and has not had any problems. I would stay clear for now, but hopefully Mossberg will get it sorted out soon. They can't afford to put out stuff and expect it to sell.

-Tutt
Last edited by CowboyTutt on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I have not heard anything about the 464 .22LR has it came out yet?
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

They've got one over at the local Gander Mtn. I have to say I was pretty dissapointed.

Just doesn't seem all that well put together.

With all the post '64 Winchesters runnin around out there for @ 300.00 +/- just don't see myself buying one.

I love the fact that there's a new lever gun out there but I sure with they'd put a little more effort into it.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Check this thread on the search function and my summary-

MOSSBERG'S 464 REINCARNATION OF THE 94

It looks like I didn't make my point clear. My Winchesters have never been a problem. I started this thread about a new model 464 lever gun Mossberg brought out specifically to fill the niche created when Winchster went out of business. It got a glowing review in Shooting Times.

The extractor failed in less than a dozen shots. I've had reports from others of such failures the first shot. It went back to the factory and after a month or more, it was sent back. The bolt holding the forend broke immediately without it even being touched with a screwdriver and it took another month just to get a replacement screw.
I listed the many malfunctions above that are simply the result of a poorly designed rifle and poor workmanship. I have had a number of messages from others with the same experience.

IT'S JUNK !!! I've never had the experience of badmouthing anything before and haven't had an experience like this since 1958 when I bought an Edsel (no internet then) -

Anyone wanting a lever 30-30 would be much better off to buy a good used Winchester 94 or the equivalent in Marlin.

I would add this - Shooting Times published a glowing report on the 464, the last American Rifleman did also, and, while I haven't seen it, I heard there was another of the same in Guns magazine. One of the few things in life you can depend on 100% is that, when a magazine pays some "shill" for a glowing report on a gun product - somewhere in that magazine will be a full color add for that company and usually that gun product (see page 85 in the AR).

Consider when was the last time you saw a favorable glowing report in a gun magazine for a Colt 1911 - it was probably the last time you saw an add for that pistol - of which there just aren't any. My understanding is the only problem Colt has with that pistol is producing enough to keep up with the demand. :roll:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I still don't see why you'd want one with all of the great used 94's and 336's out there for much less $$$.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

If they'd just get quality control under control, and chamber it in the new .338 Marlin then I might get interested. :wink:
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I think the bottom line is - you usually get what you pay for and, if you buy a gun at an exceptionally low price (spelled cheap), it's likely going to be a cheap gun. My comparison with the Edsel was off base in that, the Edsel was not cheap.

The problems with the Mossberg 464 are way beyond just quality control - they used cheap materials and apparently cheap labor and just intentionally built a CHEAP gun - taking advantage of claiming it was not only a copy of the well loved Winchester 94 30-30 but an improved version.

Not even close - it's a cheap imitation made of inferior material and assembled poorly - to give rough function. It would take starting over from the ground up to make it a worth while gun. I don't see how any change in caliber would provide any help.

This was my first - and last - experience with any Mossberg guns.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
FOTIS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by FOTIS »

GANJIRO wrote:If they'd just get quality control under control, and chamber it in the new .338 Marlin then I might get interested. :wink:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
L.F.Combs
Levergunner 1.0

Post by L.F.Combs »

I have one it is in the low range on serial number. I have shot it a great deal, and no problems. AS I have said when talking about the Puma, and Mossberg 464 I can only talk about the rifle I have, and it is a good one so far. I have Marlins, Pumas, and many 94's I have not had any problems with the 464.
PERRY COUNTY OUTDOORS MAGAZINE @