OT - The Things You See on TV...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

OT - The Things You See on TV...

Post by RSY »

Just watched an episode of S.O.S. TV (Sportsmen's Outdoor Strategies). One of the guy's who hosts/produces it is Bob Walker of "Walker's Game Ear" fame.

In this episode they take a young man (pre-teen) on his first hunt. As he is setting up for his shot in the blind I can't believe what I'm seeing: No eye or EAR protection! And this is the "Game Ear" guy's show! I was just dumbfounded. He has a little credibility problem now, in my book.

An early New Year's resolution: I gotta quit watching this junk. It really breaks my heart to see what is served up to the general public on these shows, who then take it as gospel to be indicative of the entire hunting community. Between their head-to-toe camo and snake oil/gimmick sales, they make me truly embarrassed.

Scott
rost495
Levergunner 1.0

Re: OT - The Things You See on TV...

Post by rost495 »

SInce I was involved in a filming of a turkey hunt for a major show years ago, I realized its all a setup and crock... I enjoy hunting and fishing most, its the last thing I go to on TV to watch. There have been a few shows, Gander Mountain was one, that was much more realistic to me, but I doubt its still on.

How many errors can you find? Tons. While what you saw was probably ok, I'll bet you my lotto winnings that what they showed as the setup was done after the shot was taken by far and that they actually only set it up for film to edit in, hence no shot, no noise, no safety issues but poor editing and quality control.

What about the guy they show shooting a buck, and when they show him shooting its the loud bang and as he cycles his bolt gun, no case comes out.....

Crock. Big Crock. What a waste.

Jeff
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Oh, I know they're a crock, Jeff. My favorite shot is the one of the hunter and guide walking up on the animal all surprised, and the animal is between them and the camera. Classic. However, I think the shows shot in Africa are usually much better as far as the validity of the footage goes.

My main beef above was the hearing protection issue, especially with a new hunter and considering whose show it was.

Scott
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

The show I like most features a beautiful, leggy blonde sloggin' thru mud & muck, over hill and dale, usually with a big double rifle at the ready... The rest I don't recollect too well...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

The only one of those shows I watch anymore is Track Across Africa with Craig Boddington.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I like to watch "Tracks across Africa" and Eastman's. I've got to admit I'll watch almost any of them showing elk hunting.
Old Law Dawg